Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go is getting downright goofy.

Vics53

Greetings. I've had my Pod Go for about two years with no problems.....until recently.

Had a preset I created last night that came out pretty good. Today I copied and pasted it into another preset bank to make some changes. Gave it a listen and for starters the overall volume way about 1/2 of what it originally was. (I work in Snapshot mode).

I set things up as follows. Snapshot 1: Bridge pickup. Snapshot 2: Middle position. Snapshot 3: Neck pickup. Snapshot 4: Ambient sounds. (I like to get a nice, even balance between the pickups). Not only was the whole overall volume about 1/2 lower, but all of the snapshots didn't sound anything like how I set them. Tonally, all 4 snapshots sounded the same. Went back to check the original preset that I made and my heart sank because it now sounds like the copy does. Half the volume and all 4 snapshots sounded the same.

I have the Teemahl pedal included and when I tried out both the original preset and the copy, the volume of the Teemal increased dramtically and didn't sound anything as how I originally set it.

Things started getting odd about a month ago. At that time I called up another preset I made and couldn't believe how overlly bassey it sounded only to find the bass was on 10. I never, ever have the bass up that high. This actually happened a few times. Things are changing on their own.

Anytime I make a change to a preset I automatically save the change. Standard procedure.

So I don't know what is going on here. Seems like it's developed a mind of its own.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

This is really strange. Yesterday I copied preset 21B into 24A. Had to up the overall volume on 24A to +11.4 in order to match 21B.

Anytime I copied and pasted in the past I've never had this problem.

Today I copied the Teemahl pedal from 21A into 24B. All settings on the amp model, cabinet and Teemahl are identical in both presets. But the Teemahl in 24A doesn't sound like it does in 21B. It sounds more like an extreame clean boost. Tried a few other pedal models and got the same effect. No overdrive or distortion, just and intense overall volume boost.

Makes no sense. Anybody?

Today I copied the Teemahl pedal from 21A into 24B. All settings on the amp model, cabinet and Teemahl are identical in both presets. But the Teemahl in 24A doesn't sound like it does in 21B. It sounds more like an extreame clean boost. Tried a few other pedal models and got the same effect. No overdrive or distortion, just and intense overall volume boost.

Weird, sounds like an issue with importation; if two things are the same then they cannot be different. 

1) If you restart Go after import does it change anything? 

2) If you export both identical patches and compare them using winmerge or other file comparison program, any difference?

3) Could also be related to snapshot; again; either bug in importation or settings.  You could try clearing all snapshot settings and comparing, see if it makes a difference.

4) Could try to change all settings; ex;  volume from 4.3 to 4.2, drive 5.4 to 5.3, etc., just to see if when manually changing a setting you can hear a difference.  If there's a big jump after changing a setting, you know something was screwy in that setting.

5) Finally, as a last resort I would try this, it's a long shot, but to be sure...  Or maybe export, reset then re-install latest firmware..

Thanks for the suggestions although #5 seems a bit extreame!!!

1) If you restart Go after import does it change anything?

Things have been fine up until about a month ago.

2) If you export both identical patches and compare them using winmerge or other file comparison program, any difference?

Sorry, I am not at all familiar with those programs. Sounds worth looking into though.

I will say that I have not installed the most recent firmware. I've had no problem with past firmware updates but then I always waited a bit because it seemed like there were a lot of bugs that needed to be corrected. I'm actually pretty happy with the presets I created and didn't want to take the chance of turning my Pod Go into brick, which has happened to some users. But for all I know maybe the latest firmware will help with the problems I'm having as of lately.

But I did fill out a support ticket last night. We'll see what response I get. 

Thanks again. Have a good day!

1)   ok so it's not just after you import the patch, even after restart stays messed up..

2)  yep, should tell you if the in-memory settings are same or different.   If you test the #3 and #4 above, you should be able to pinpoint the issue; you might be able to find a pattern, get an idea of the cause..

Any response from support?

6) What you could also try is import the same patch multiple times.  Not sure how it could happen, but if you had some sort of memory issue, which could randomly 'change' some settings, importing multiple times might result in somewhat random behaviour for each import...  Or maybe it's the same, either would give us a clue.

Really have no idea how Go works relating to memory; but if it's like a standard computer or computer program, memory works in blocks; ex;

[1010100011011010100101100110] [1010100011011010100101100110]  [1010100011011010100101100110]  [1010100011011010100101100110] 

Paraphrasing, say the 3rd memory block is bad, and the 4th bit is stuck at 0 for instance, if it's like dynamic memory used for effects, it might have completely random effect, where it changes a '16' to a '4' for instance, which for one effect could a feedback parameter, or amp bass, etc., totally random.   Could be that this corrupt memory space is used by import or for storing loaded patches, etc.,  so yeah if your PGO is acting up and acting erratically, could be some sort of hardware malfunction..

Programs tend to crash when such hardware issues arrive; a value will not fit an expected value and some unexpected behaviour will throw an error, but maybe Go is resilient, and just acts unpredictably rather than just crashing; which is good in an sense, at least it somehow still works rather than becoming an expensive paperweight...  :\

Okay, Line 6 tech support got back with me the the other day.

They suggested that I back up my preset,s do a factory reset then download the latest 1.4 firmware.

I am going to do this but not until next week. Reason being is because I'm playing at church this coming Sunday and I do NOT want to take a chance of things potentially going wrong before then. (That would not be good!). We had rehearsal on Wednesday of this week, all was working fine and I want to keep it that way for now. I haven't had any issues with past firmware updates so I'm hoping things will go as smoothly as they did before.

I have done a few edits within the presets I'm using and that went fine with no problems. But I haven't tried copying and pasting anything else because that's when things went screwy.

I let tech support know of the mentioned plan and they said they will keep the ticket open for two weeks. So come this Monday or Tuesday we'll see what happens.