Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Looper

MikeBs

This is one for a Line 6 boffin or someone who understands signal paths.

I recently got the HD500x which means I now have the complete 'Dream Rig' which I am very impressed with. I also have a JM4 Looper which I would like to continue to use.

My question is, is there a method of connecting the looper to the HD500 when I am using a VDI cable and the L6 link cable. Ideally I would like to play a loop into the JM4, then change patches on the HD500 and solo with a different tone. I am aware that if changing patches puts the amp into a different setting then this would effect the output from the JM4.

However with all the effect loops and aux inputs and outputs on the back of the HD500 can I connect the JM4 as an external effect and still use it with a dream rig.

Mike

you would probably have to put the looper in the effects loop after any amps or just after the outputs of the HD500. In the effects loop you can add ambient effects after the loop if you want, and you can move the loop around the chain in different patches if you want. After the unit's output would allow ALL of the sound coming out to be looped, but I don't know enough about the JM4 to know if you would loose your stereo option (which may not matter hooked up to a DT amp)

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried various configuration with no success.

With an FX loop what comes out/in of the send and return.

Does anyone else use an external looper and if so how is it connected?

I have connected the:

send (on the 500x) to the input of the looper (guitar in).

Output from the looper (amp out) to the return on the 500x.

The FX loop is inserted just before the amp

I get the backing tracks from the JM4 playing through the amp but it won't record anything.

Am I trying to achieve something that cannot be done.

Some assistance from a L6 tech would be appreciated. Do I have to do any recording outside of the Dream Rig and then play it through a second amp, or can the JM4 be incorporated into a Dream Rig?

Bonjour,

I have a JamMan Solo (mono) and just hooked it up for first time yesterday.  So... I have no claim to knowing what I'm doing - but here is what I have so far.

First setup  - POD HD500 FX send to input of JamMan - Output of JamMan to  POD HD500 FX Return  - record not working - so I rebooted the HD500.  On my first test I generated (with headphones plugged into the HD500) the most horrible screeching feedback at max volume (all at 5:30AM!).

OK - so disconnected the out from the JamMan and replaced it with headphones.  From that point I had a good time for the rest of my Jam but I can see its not 100% yet.

I looked to the HD500 connections and will try to use one of the Unbalanced Outputs to the JamMan and route the JamMan output to the AUX In  on the HD500.

Will keep you posted.

Let me know if you figure it out....

Thanks

Just hasd a thought. I am away from my rig until Friday night so can't try this out, but someone might know if this would work.

Could I put the JM4 Looper in the effects loop of the DT25. Would the JM4 record whatever is going into the amp and put it back out with a backing track.

This would then isolate it from the HD500x and allow patches to be changed without effecting the sound from the JM4. (Except if the amp model was changed)

Any thoughts?

I spent some time trying that this weekend.  That is the direct route to feedback.     I also tried using the various outs and ins Aux, Line Out, brought the signal from the looper back into FX return (no) - nothing worked and majority gave me no sound or feed back.   There has got to be a way to do this.

Put the JM4 in the FX Loop for the amp and eventually got it to work.

I have always had the problem, or maybe a design thing, that in order to get the JM4 to record my guitar I have had to turn the backing tracks down to 3% (its lowest setting) and the guitar to 100%. otherwise the backing track completely swamps the guitar.

I have had to do this again in order to get it to work, but at least I have the option of backing tracks.

• 1 month later...

Update to all readers of this post:   The most effective means of using a looper in conjuction with a POD HD500X:  From POD FX send to input on your looper/ Looper out to FX return on POD/ on your POD signal chain ADD an FX/Loop (no parameters)  - Done

Test the looper by playing something into the POD and create a loop all should be right as rain.