Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench limitations?

I want to create a 12-string sound, only with a virtual capo at the 5th fret (for Hotel California).  That means I need the Parallel Pitch tones to be 17 half tones higher than the real strings, not 12.  I cannot see any way to alter the notes for the Parallel Pitch values: they are either on (12) or off (0).

I tried to inspect the files that Workbench saves to disk, to see if I could trick Workbench into using the pitches I want, but I did not get far.

Thoughts or comments?

Jon

If you watch the live videos for Hotel California, you will see that he uses a double-neck guitar, with the 12 string capoed and the six string straight.  No time to keep taking the capo off and putting it back on.  I thought that the Variax would be the perfect solution, but it appears that this may not be the case.

Try this: Use a capo on the 5th fret. Use Workbench to create two models, one for your six string in standard tuning and another for the 12-string. In the 6-string model detune all strings to -5. This offsets the capo and returns this model to standard tuning. In the 12-string model proceed as you normally would for a 12-string model. Define the models to be adjacent in the Variax Bank/Model storage. You should now be able to use the pickup selector to switch between a 6-string in standard tuning and a 12-string with capo on 5. 

If you have a VDI device like a Helix you could use Snapshots for this rather than different Variax models.

Of course you will be limited to five fewer frets in the upper register for solo parts on the 6-string. Could be an issue for Hotel California depending on the guitar parts you’re palying.

• Like 1