Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50 212 fried???

Jessehendrixp1

Ok so there is alot i gotta put here im gonna try and summarize alot and still make sense lol..... so i recently decided to try and sell my amp as i dont use it alot mainly because its so big..... well a few months ago i was having to let it warm up for 5+ mins and then trouble with it not making sound at all but it worked again if i reinstalled firmware.... so i went a few months didnt touch it then wanted to sell so i turn it on to test it...... no sound again....... i reinstall firmware and it works......kinda..... it doesnt sound right at all sounds electronic and distorted even on the clean channel........then it stops completely and nothing i do letti g it warm up or firmware does anything.......... so i figure maybe the tubes are bad although they light up and look fine..... i go to pull them out and realise the power tubes are mullard brand which i know is bad news for these amps i just never actually checked....... the guy i bought it from had said it was serviced so im assuming they were put in then..... i put some new eh el34 and pres in and bias to 35mv still nothing..... so i thought maybe ill try firmware....... when i tryed the firmware this time it wouldnt even read as a dt50 212 kept saying parameters have changed and reading it as a dt112......... so i guess what im asking is...... is this thing pretty much screwed from those mullard tubes??? I dont really wanna spend any money on it taking it to a shop as i just got a new marshall amp anyway..... i was hoping replacing the tubes would do it but it didnt....... might just take the guts out and use it as a cab......

1- Was it in "Standby" mode when you connected to check the Firmware?

2- Distorted sound could be tubes, could be a solder point on the processor board.

Being an older product, solder points would be starting to oxidize by now.

3- Are the power tubes matched pairs, and did you change out the pre-amp tubes as well?

Having Mullards didn't help. Taking it to a Line 6 authorized shop would have techs who know the product.

If it's reading as a DT-112, then the shop messed up with the processor board setting. Have them check it out.

They can contact us if they want, being an authorized service center.

Its always read as a dt212 until recently when it started screwing up..

yes it was in standby when i tryed the firmware....

it hasnt been to a shop since it has been in my posession which has been about two years i guess...the weird dt112 thing makes me think something has really gone haywire..... the tubes were matched pairs and i changed all the tubes it didnt help anything...... it does have a 2010 manufacturing date so the amp is pretty old At this point

The big problem is the closest line6 repair place is 3hours away...... so by the time i drive 3 hours drop it off drive 3 hours home...... then when its fixed another 3 hours and 3 back again.  I would have more in gas and time and repair bills then the amp is even worth........ i was hoping changing tubes and bias would work but it didnt....... 

I appreciate the reply by the way 

But i didnt.......... it started doing that before i ever touched the amps tubes or pulled the chassis and even then i didnt touch anything inside of it except the bias trimmer and probe points and honestly the only reason i did that was to see if new tubes would make it do something....... 

Gotta be honest i think running the mullard tubes has screwed it up....... i wish i would have checked more thoroughly when i bought the amp to see what power tubes were in place....... i just assumed it was the correct ones 

Tubes wouldn't make it come up on computer display as a DT112 instead of 212,... only the dip switches would.

Even nudging them by accident (which I caught myself doing couple times). Makes it think there's only one 12"

speaker in there and throws everything off.

Mullards frying it,... maybe, doubt it, maybe stressed it some. Mullards didn't help. Might be recoverable. A Line 6

authorized tech could deal with and would have access to me for any specifics.

IIm gonna see if i can get in touch with the closest service center which if i remember correctly is in rome georgia....... im in knoxville tn.......... maybe i would be able to just send them the amp without the chasis and save a trip and some money ill let you know what they tell and what i get worked out..... i appreciate the replys....