Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems with device overheating?

psalcal

I have an HX Stomp XL and used it during a live show today.  It was in direct sunlight.  After about 15 minutes it was unresponsive (looked "on" but nothing happened when I pushed a foot pedal).  Good thing it still passed (unaffected) audio.  Restarting it made it stop at firmware loading screen.  (Running latest firmware).  

So made it through a few songs, while I moved it to a spot more shaded.  After maybe another 10 minutes a reboot brought it back to life and it worked for the rest of the set.  Has anyone noticed this behavior?  

Lots of people have already been reporting similar things about the HX family devices. These things aren't made for direkt sunlight. The very bad visibility gives it away, too.

If you have to play lots of such gigs, get some sort of sunshield or a different modeler.

The Stomp is a "hot device" out of the box. It's an extremely tight package (it tends to overheat even in the studio) and over here, when it's hot summer, I use a 120mm fan to keep it in a safer range, that I've put under the pedalboard and powered with a 9V to 5V cheap converter. It helps moving a lot if air underneath and prevents the overheating.

A sunshield is also recommended.

On 4/30/2023 at 2:14 AM, PierM said:

The Stomp is a "hot device" out of the box. It's an extremely tight package (it tends to overheat even in the studio)

I have seen statements like yours a lot of the forums, yet my HX Stomp never exceeds "warm", even after a 4 hour gig (sunlight excluded). I wonder how/why there would be such a discrepancy? My blocks are filled, but maybe I'm not running blocks that demand a ton of DSP.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:13 AM, psalcal said:

It was in direct sunlight.  

Those black cases don't do the units any favors. It's something I never think about until I have to do a gig in the sun. My LT bakes in the sunlight... I do everything I can to prevent a direct hit. 

On 5/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, codamedia said:

I have seen statements like yours a lot of the forums, yet my HX Stomp never exceeds "warm", even after a 4 hour gig (sunlight excluded). I wonder how/why there would be such a discrepancy? My blocks are filled, but maybe I'm not running blocks that demand a ton of DSP.

I do live in south Italy. In summer we can easily go way over 45°C (113F). Stomp has zero vent ports, it's a sealed metal black box, with a tight pancake of PCBs in the inside, so if that case goes hot, the ambient temperatures and ventilation are playing a vital role in the heat dissipation.

Doesnt matter the block I use (i dont even use the amp modeling), it can gets really hot. 

It doesnt hang or crash for me, but still that fan it's there to prevent potential conductance issues and inductor overheating.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Same problem. I have 2 hX stomps on my pedalboard.  90 degrees outside and they were in direct sun for an hour or so.  One became unresponsive and the other feedback like a mofo. Rebooting stuck at firmware screen.  Even later sun went down it was still 85 degrees and one wouldn’t work at all, the other eventually worked sorta still some feedback. Later after getting home turned it all back on, everything is fine. 

The quitting working altogether, and reboot stuck on firmware screen, happened to one of them once before in hot environment.  It came back working later that gig thought it was just a glitch. But now I have a pattern.  Outdoor gig next Sat night I’m gonna blow a fan on those suckers for sure. 

On 8/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, t000guitars said:

Same problem. I have 2 hX stomps on my pedalboard.  90 degrees outside and they were in direct sun for an hour or so.  One became unresponsive and the other feedback like a mofo. Rebooting stuck at firmware screen.  Even later sun went down it was still 85 degrees and one wouldn’t work at all, the other eventually worked sorta still some feedback. Later after getting home turned it all back on, everything is fine. 

The quitting working altogether, and reboot stuck on firmware screen, happened to one of them once before in hot environment.  It came back working later that gig thought it was just a glitch. But now I have a pattern.  Outdoor gig next Sat night I’m gonna blow a fan on those suckers for sure. 

The fan is a good idea. When I know my gear is gonna be outside in the Texas summer, I'll try to find something to at least keep it out of direct sunlight. My pedalboard softcase usually does the trick. Looks weird, but at least my HX Stomp doesn't overheat.