Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Edit 3.6 not recognising update is available

michaelbernard

I have updated HX Edit to 3.6 on my Mac (running Ventura 13.3.1) and my HX FX is attached to the Mac, running 3.5, but HX Edit does not recognise that there is an update available. Pictures attached. I have downloaded Updater 1.27 but that has made no difference.

Any suggestions?

HX Pic 1.jpg

HX Pic 2.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:10 PM, michaelbernard said:

I have downloaded Updater 1.27 but that has made no difference.

Hi,

Generally speaking you should not need to download the Line 6 Updater utility, other than when you have a unit in a “failed” state, or have chosen to do a local offline firmware update. Also, avoid having HX Edit, and the Updater open at the same time.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Just to clarify, I am suggesting that people open a support ticket if they are experiencing this particular bug - a failure of HX Edit to recognize that an update exists. Most things that go wrong during an update are different from this and should not necessarily be reported before coming here to seek a solution.

Same issue here.  HX Edit recognized that my v3.15 HX Stomp had an update to v3.60, then prompted me to update HX Edit to 3.60 first.  After successfully doing that, the new version of HX Edit will no longer prompt me to update to 3.60/

Having the same issue... Logged in, updated HX edit (although after that update saying installed successfully, it still shows as 3.50) and no 3.60 showing as available. I have opened a ticket on this.

I have A mac running Ventura 13.31 I was able to load the Latest HX Edit for my Helix Floor. But when it comes to it automatically or manually trying to get the firmware update for the Helix 3.6. It will not recognize it. It also says there is no update with HX Edit. When I log in to my Line 6 account at the bottom left corner of the HX Edit it does nothing. 

Thank you all so much for reporting this. We are looking into the issue. Below a few potential workarounds.

1. Sign out and sign back into HX Edit

2. Deauthorize and reauthorize your computer

3. Download the latest firmware for your Helix/HX product here

Backup your device in HX Edit (File > "Create Backup")

Open Line 6 Updater (you can download the latest version for mac here)

Update using "Choose File"

Once the update is complete, factory reset your device, return to HX Edit and select "Restore From Backup" from the file menu.

Opened a support ticket, they sent me this and it worked for me:

1. download/ install Line 6 Updater 1.27:
http://line6.com/software/

IMPORTANT! On newer macOS versions, your computer may display a pop-up reading "Line 6 Updater.pkg can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software." THIS IS NORMAL. Click "OK," and open the System Preferences utility. Click "Security & Privacy," and in the Allow apps downloaded from section, click "Open Anyway".

2. download the HX Stomp firmware file 3.60:
http://line6.com/software/

3. connect the HX Stomp via USB to your computer. Use another USB cable/ USB port. Don't connect to an USB hub.

4. power up the unit while holding the "page >" button (blank screen).

5. shut down all Line 6 software including HX Edit (!), or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc.

6. launch Line 6 Updater only, do not log in, choose "offline mode" instead, then select "HX Stomp Unknown version". Choose the downloaded firmware file and reinstall v3.60.

7. perform a factory reset on the HX Stomp (will delete all user presets, IR's, globals): while holding FS2 and FS3 turn on HX Stomp. Wait for "Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets..." to appear and let go.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, Embo20910 said:

Same issue here on my Mac. Is there a timeline for a fix?  I’d rather update with HX Edit than go through the manual process.

Since it’s not working now your next update will need to be manual. The release notes for the next release will tell us whether or not this has been fixed. But there’s no timeline for the next release. However I do know that Line 6 is aware, and it’s a very visible bug so I think there’s a good chance it will be fixed soon.

• Upvote 2

I had all the issues above for my Mac book.  I just downloaded line6 updater.  MacBook didn't want to accept the download, I just manually accepted it in System Settings/Privacy Security.  Line 6 updater saved into applications file, Helix Floor connected via usb and clicked update, took about 15 minutes and were are done.  Had tons of issues downloading 3.50, even ended up downloading that version from my sons laptop and had to do factory restore and all that jazz, updater was quick and easy no fuss.  

On 5/27/2023 at 11:27 PM, diezelplayer said:

I had all the issues above for my Mac book.  I just downloaded line6 updater.  MacBook didn't want to accept the download, I just manually accepted it in System Settings/Privacy Security. 

Hi,

For anyone else who may be unaware, and encounter this Apple Security block. Here is a copy and paste from a post about this Apple Gatekeeper way back in 2019

”This is now normal behaviour for Apple Mac Operating Systems - you have just encountered the “Gatekeeper” which is built into the OS to protect you from malware.

Rather than go through typing out the process of getting past this situation, I will give you a link to Apple’s own page on how to deal with this stuff. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

Hope this helps/makes sense.”

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I still can't update past 3.50 either. I downloaded the Line 6 Updated.pkg on Mac OS (v13.4.1) but can't run it due to security issues. I tried to run it manually but am stuck in the "malicious software" loop. (Opening it manually from Privacy & Security doesn't help, even though I have admin privileges.)

Untitled.jpg

On 7/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, johnwnyc said:

I still can't update past 3.50 either. I downloaded the Line 6 Updated.pkg on Mac OS (v13.4.1) but can't run it due to security issues. I tried to run it manually but am stuck in the "malicious software" loop. (Opening it manually from Privacy & Security doesn't help, even though I have admin privileges.)

Untitled.jpg

Oh, please not again - this has been discussed at length in these forums ever since Apple first instigated the feature, way back when (2019).

”This is now normal behaviour for Apple Mac Operating Systems - you have just encountered the “Gatekeeper” which is built into the OS to protect you from malware.

Rather than go through typing out the process of getting past this situation, I will give you a link to Apple’s own page on how to deal with this stuff. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

In fact this information was provided by me just one post above yours - click the link to Apple Support to see how to proceed.

THIS IS NORMAL FOR APPLE - SIMPLY ALLOW THE INSTALLATION!

EDIT:

Furthermore this thread is about HX Edit failing to detect the Update , NOT Apple Gatekeeper Security.

You might find it helpful to read this thread.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Edited by datacommando
Added link

Yes, I did read that thread about Gatekeeper.

I’m here to say that MacOS Ventura’s behavior is different.

Line 6 Updater can’t be checked for malicious software, therefore you are stopped cold in your tracks. There is no way to override the gatekeeping. 

On 8/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, johnwnyc said:

Yes, I did read that thread about Gatekeeper.

I’m here to say that MacOS Ventura’s behavior is different.

Line 6 Updater can’t be checked for malicious software, therefore you are stopped cold in your tracks. There is no way to override the gatekeeping. 

Hi,

You say Ventura’s behaviour is different. O.K. But you are not the only person using that OS who wants to update their firmware and HX Edit.

There must be stacks of others using Ventura without issue.

As for “security systems” there is always a way to bypass them.

Try this:-

Also, see this.

https://www.kolide.com/blog/the-security-and-it-admin-s-guide-to-macos-ventura

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added link

My Hx edit shows a 3.61 update each time I open it. I've followed the link to download and install and in completes and restarts but never updates.  I have mac os.  

Also went on line six site and download thru there with same results.