Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 HX stomp XL direct to amp loop

Duckmysick

Hi brothers in arms,

Bought recently HX stomp XL, and decided that i only want to use modulation effects, so logically it goes to eff.loop of the amp.

Since i want my overdrives,wah and fuzz to go straight directly in the amp input, how do i connect effect loop of HX stomp XL to effects loop of the amp. Before that 4cm suggestions (sorry for being technical noob), i simply need to know "cable A from X goes to....", if possible.  

Thank you kindly in advance 

Sincerely 

Alex

4CM is the only way.... 

Place a LOOP block between the drives and modulations on the Stomp and make sure you engage it. 

Guitar > Stomp input > Stomp Loop Send > Amp Input > Amp Loop Send > Stomp Loop Return (read "complicated" note below) > Stomp Output > Amp Loop Return

Global Settings on Stomp

1. The Stomp Loop should be set to "Instrument Level" because that is what the amp input is. 
  2. Find out if your amp loop is Line or Instrument level, and set the output of the stomp to that. (often it's line level, but you need to confirm that yourself)

COMPLICATED: The return of your Stomp Loop Return needs to be volume matched to your Amps Loop type. If it's instrument level you are already set, if it's line level, you need to lower the volume return by 8 - 12db to accommodate. This is all assuming you followed my other suggestions from bullet point #1. 

• Upvote 1

Further to what @codamediasaid - 

If you're not using the other loop for external FX you can use it like this:

Fx Loop L configured as INST per codamedia's post.

Instead of taking the amp's SEND to the L/Mono RETURN, take it to RETURN R configured as LINE.

You might still need to do some level matching, as "LINE" level varies between devices, but there's other reasons to do it this way. Jason Sadites did a great video on this.

On 5/7/2023 at 3:51 PM, Duckmysick said:

Thnx guys...but if we forget traditional 4cm...i can simply use HX output and input to conect it to the amp loop, right? It's still 4cm (one way or another), only my drives and fuzzes go straight to input...

Amp FX Loop SEND>HXS Input>HXS FX>HXS Output>Amp FX Loop RETURN.

Configure the HXS Input Output levels whichever way works best with your amp.

• Like 1

I think this is called 3 CM. When I used a G-System I connected like this because the G System input was buffered and I my Treble Booster thru it sounded awful.

So I used the G-System in the amp loops only...

• Guitar -> TB -> Amp Input
  • G-System Input -> Amp FX Loop Send
  • G-System Output -> Amp FX Loop Return