Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi blue tooth adapter with Mobile Sheets

jcspirited

Ok, got a pipe dream here. I have a Helix, and Surface Pro tablet. I found a midi adapter that sends midi via blue tooth. On the Surface Pro I have Mobile Sheet that has midi capability. Is it possible to use the Helix as a page turner for Mobile Sheets. The midi signal will be sent to the Surface Pro via blue tooth. Mobile Sheets will receive the midi signal. Mobile Sheets will be set to turn a sheet music page when it receives the midi signal. 

Helix will send a MIDI message.

The WIDI widget plugs into a 5-pin DIN, which Helix has, and sends the message.

Everything between there and Mobile Sheet is outside of the question "Will Helix...".

The next relevant question is "Can Helix send the MIDI message that Mobile Sheet needs to see?".

I'm not going to read the Mobile Sheet manual to figure that out, so to answer that question you need to tell me what message(s) the Helix needs to send?

Not just what TYPE of message(s), but SPECIFICALLY what message(s).

I'm a little rusty on midi. I had an ADA processor with a 10 foot switch controller. Eash bank on the ADA had 10 presets. I am assuming that type of midi message is what's used in Mobile sheets. If the right midi message with both the Helix and Mobile Sheets are the same. It should work. It needs more looking into, just and idea for know.

Like I said, pipe dream. 

That question can only be answered by researching the specific MIDI messages that the Mobile Sheets app requires for page turning.  Assuming all other aspects of the physical connection will work you'll still need to know what channel and CC or PC number to send to load songs and turn the pages.

I know I said I wasn't going to read the manual, but I couldn't help myself.

The video confirmed what I thought I saw about MIDI assignments.

In addition to using PC (program Change) messages to call the songs, you'd also need to assign switches to turn the pages (Previous/Next);Scroll (Up/Down) and dozens of other actions depending on your needs. That would need to be done in CommandCenter, and each assignment is one less FS you'd have available in Stomp Mode for bypassing FX and calling Snapshots without switching to Snapshot or Preset Mode, plus it would have to be done in EVERY Preset.

Seems to me that if you really need this sort of thing you should probably have a separate controller.

Not that it can't be done, but looks like a big PITA to me.

But then, I play R'n'R - we don't need no steenking sheet music! :-)

Might be different if you're doing orchestral/theatre gigs.

• Upvote 2

The obvious way to do this to me is to have a simple MIDI footswitch something like a Morningstar MC6 sitting as the master MIDI controller between the Mobilsheets and the Helix, MIDI connected to both.  When you press "Next Song" footswitch on the MC6 it sends the appropriate commands to both the Mobilesheets app to get the correct sheet and to the Helix to change to the appropriate preset that matches it.  You then have plenty of other footswitches for scrolling, turning pages, etc. with no loss of available footswitches on the Helix.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking of using the preset FS to correspond to the sheet of music in Mobile sheets. I normally use one preset for each song. That way it won't interfere with Fx FS. And all I am looking to do is turn page. I know it would be easier to get an air turn blue tooth page turner, or a midi controller. Either a page turner or midi controller would be more to carry. But thanks for the input. I think the Helix can do it, and the cost and effort might be worth it. I made a guitar with two separate pickup systems, each with their own pre amp. This, hopefully won't be as involved. If and when I get it set up. I will up date this post.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, jcspirited said:

I was thinking of using the preset FS to correspond to the sheet of music in Mobile sheets. I normally use one preset for each song. That way it won't interfere with Fx FS. And all I am looking to do is turn page. I know it would be easier to get an air turn blue tooth page turner, or a midi controller. Either a page turner or midi controller would be more to carry. But thanks for the input. I think the Helix can do it, and the cost and effort might be worth it. I made a guitar with two separate pickup systems, each with their own pre amp. This, hopefully won't be as involved. If and when I get it set up. I will up date this post.

Yes, you can use the default preset PC# to CALL the song's sheet music, but Mobile sheets still needs to know which song is being called by that PC#.

That would only need to be done once in Mobile Sheets, but you STILL need to assign separate switches to the Page Turn Prev/Next functions, and while that only needs to be done once in Mobile Sheets, it needs to be done in CommandCenter in EVERY Helix preset. If you don't have many presets you COULD create a template with the switches assigned, then re-create your Helix presets, but if you have more than a few that would be a real PITA.

• 1 month later...

After a long time due to medical issues, I have ordered the WIDI and dongle that was used in the video. It was start forward and easy to set up. I tried to use the WIDI only, that didn't work. Next I edited the sheet music I would be using. The down side to this is if there are 2 pages of sheet music. I manage easily enough.

I was going to attach a video but it,s to big.