Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick Volume Jump when Switching Snapshots

jwoertz

Depends on the snapshot.  As soon as you start using more complex snapshots (mainly either mixing multiple amps at once or multiple input blocks (i.e. for Variax Mag/Piezo pickups) it can become impractical to just use the output block or just the amp block.  This is especially true if you're tying the expression pedal to multiple parameters across both input blocks. The reason being with multiple amps or input blocks, there are multiple gain sources and if you need to make the whole patch louder or quieter, you can't just make one amp louder or softer or one input block louder or softer without screwing up the mix between the amps or input blocks.

If the snapshots are simpler (only 1 amp active at a time or only 1 input block), then I focus on either amp channel volume or the output block level setting. The output block is the safest (in most use cases) and is what I try to use as it will also raise the volume of any synth pedals in the chain (or any pedal which generates it's own tone) where depending on the position of the pedal in the chain, the amp channel volume will not.  I try to not use the cab block level unless I'm deceasing level so as to keep that +6 DB headroom available should I ever need it.  

These are all rules of thumb as things like adding a looper can screw all this up depending on where you're managing your volume and where the looper is in the signal chain.  i.e. Looper at end of chain, I loop a quiet rhythm piece, then switch to a lead snapshot which I make +3 dB louder with output block, now that quiet rhythm piece the looper is playing is also +3dB louder.  It can get complicated sometimes. 

I realize I may have misunderstood the actual question here.  As long as each snapshot is 'in the ballpark' as far as level (decibels or perceived loudness), you really shouldn't get any big volume issues switching between snapshots on the same preset.  If you are there are two main possible issues

1.  Gain staging.  You may not be setting up your path for unity gain.  Unity gain is when the output level of each block is the same as the input level of each block).  This doesn't mean that the block 'level' parameter needs to be at zero on each block, rather it means when the block is turned off or bypassed, the level in decibels (or perceived loudness) for the patch is the same as when the block is active.  If you don't do this, and you have some blocks in one snapshot that are a lot louder when turned on than off, you'll hear that when changing snapshots that disable or enable that block.

2.  Certain types of blocks do not react well to being bypassed, enabled, or switched *WHILE* they are processing a signal.  CAB blocks, IR's, and Amp models where there are drastic changes to gain can all be culprits.  In general you should try to avoid switching between one or more IR or CAB blocks between snapshots, unless you can do it during a section of the piece where you're not playing.  Switching IR or CABs can result in loud pops or artifacts.  Changing parameter settings on cab blocks, IR's, or amps are more forgiving up to a point.  Basically the larger the change (especially in drive or volume) on a amp the more likely you'll hear an artifact while changing. 

If the question is how to balance all your presets.  That is was more about what my first reply was talking about.  I usually focus on the output blocks when I can, and use a loudness meter on my DAW.  I'll choose a target level (usually 90'ish decibels) and go through every preset and every snapshot making adjustments until they are all within +/- 3db or so.  Then during practice I make any tweaks if I need to in order to get it to sound right in the mix.  When a certain snapshot needs to be louder or softer (i.e. lead snapshot may want to be louder than a rhythm snapshot, I'll start at adding or removing 3dB, and then see how that sounds in the mix.

• Thanks 1

Additional information needed - what is "that quick volume spike when changing snapshots?"

I have had one instance of a weird volume spike in snapshots in 150+ maintained patches each with 4 snapshots.

Some back and forth with L6 determined that Snapshots change parameters in the order thay are set in a serial, though very fast, manner. Not in parellel. In the case of my problematic pact/snapshot it had been developed/played with over a period of time and one of the stroed changes caused an issue with volume. Tracking it down wasn't feasible, and even if I could, it could not be remediated. So I rebuilt the patch from scratch with only the required changes.

If you mean something more systemic, eg all your snapshots have volume changes, you need to reconsider what youu're changing and what you're not. Its unlikely to be a snapshot issue per se, more something to do with not ensuring correct volume levels at for each snapshot by adjusting the various parameters available to you. For example, you can't expect to push the gain of an amp without an associated volume change and a need for a channel volume adjustment. Thinking about the changes for each block and whether the change needs some compensation within the block or elsewhere will help.

• Thanks 1