Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to DT25 question.

Beacher

I have a Helix Floor with updated firmware to 3.60.0 - e171dae. I also have a Pair of DT25’s Head and Cab both amps are firmware 2.0 and connected together with L6 Link. I currently run them with a POD HD500. Everything behaves as expected.

I L6 Linked out of the Helix to the first DT25 in the chain and then scrolled through a bunch of amps (both with and without cabs plus the pre-amp models). Unlike my POD 500 HD, the Helix does NOT change any of the settings to the right of the Channel Volumes (Topology, Class, and Tube Bias). Also, when I bypass the Amp Model in the Helix, the DT25 does not switch to Channel B. (as it does with the POD).

What am I missing here? My understanding (which might be incorrect) is that the Helix should control the relevant DT25’s parameters when changing amp models as does the POD HD?

The integration of the Helix with the DT series of amps is not the same as with the HD500x. Likely as the DT series are now legacy hardware (unfortunately).

However, there is still pretty deep control available from the output block including the poweramp settings via L6 Link. I no longer have my DT amps, but you will find the parameters you can control in a tab on the output block. From what I recall you can change paramters at a preset and within that snapshot level (with the same thump you could get with the Pod with certain changes).

These changes are NOT mapped to the amp models like they were in the HD500.

I also recall others here having deeper control via midi.

If you enjoy the DTs persist, its an even better set-up than the HD500 when you consider the substantially better amp models in the Helix.I do recall preferring the full amp models over the pre-amps in the Helix.

Unfortunately, my desire for an easy, replicable, controllable workflow and outputs led me to using powercabs, and then ultimatley direct to PA and high quality in-ears, with a full mix back at me on a silent stage. My days of living for amp in the room sounds have passed. 

Hey Waymda,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

As I dug deeper into the research on this matter I too found out that the Helix does not auto map the matching DT parameters to the amp models (as the POD HD does) which I was expecting from the Helix ... especially given the cost of this beast. But I do understand the reality of the DT "legacy component" and that Line 6/Yamaha aren't going to put much accommodation into that equation. Call me old school but the DT and POD integration is such a marvel (and truly unique) design concept. I am getting "what I need" from that rig and I just bought a JTV69 (for the fun of it). The old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" may apply in my case?

I do like the onboard editing and preset generation of the Helix. So far above the old POD's and yes ... the amp models are definitely up a notch along with some added effects (love the Minotaur for example) and the additional parameter settings within the new EFX ... but in my case, hard to justify the cost. The Helix alone eclipses the cost of my 2 DT25/Cab rigs !!! I am going to experiment a bit more with it to see if I can find a reason to keep the Helix? Evolving technology is an addictive beast.

Our little band is still guitar amp based with a small PA. Can't go the tech route you have in place (in-ears, Helix direct to PA, etc. etc) but I totally understand the concept.

Since I have two DT25's I am going to do a live A-B test comparison with the Helix-DT and POD-DT with similar (or relative same) amp models to see if I really need to sell my car and buy the Helix ... lol. I'll match the DT output configurations with the Helix per preset used in the tests (found out how to do it). I will also try the Amp/Cab models as well as just Amp and Pre-amp in the Helix for comparison. I have read that many do prefer the Amp/Cab models to the DT vs the technically appropriate Pre-Amp models which is what I use in the POD.

I have 30 days to keep or return the Helix. We'll see what happens. I may post an aftermath reply to this thread when all the smoke clears.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...