Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Podhd500x Overdrives Have Weird Aftertone?

GazzaBloom

I've heard the term 'ghost notes' before on these forums. I'm not really sure what it is though. And I recall someone saying they turn down the hum dep parameter on the amp to get rid of it. Could be what you describe.

Do you have a noise gate in your patch? If so, maybe it's that slowly kicking in, depending on the decay setting.

I've heard the term 'ghost notes' before on these forums. I'm not really sure what it is though. And I recall someone saying they turn down the hum dep parameter on the amp to get rid of it. Could be what you describe.

Do you have a noise gate in your patch? If so, maybe it's that slowly kicking in, depending on the decay setting.

"Ghost notes" are a JTV specific pheomenon, and usually describes hearing more than one pitch while using any or all of the alt. tunings. Causes are largely a mystery, and some "official" explanations detailed on here are....well lets just say they tend to be a bit lacking.

I was the one who posted about the "hum" parameter. It was odd, and kinda hard to describe. I could hear other tones, "behind" the original note, but not "after the note dies" as the OP said. These were "harmonies" of a sort, occuring at the same time as the note being played, and were really only noticeable if you hung on a sustained note for a while and really listened, as the funky overtone was at a very low volume...but defintitely there. The interval bounced all over the place, but was always a lower tone than the note I was playing. Didn't seem to matter what guitar I was using, I could always elicit the tones...so that pretty much rules out JTV-induced strangeness. And why the hum parameter has anything at all to do with it is beyond me. I will happily confess that I don't even really know what the "hum" setting is supposed to control anyway, and I cannot discern any tonal difference no matter where it's set...but I turned 'em all to zero, and I can no longer replicate this Schoenberg-esqe "harmony for the tonedeaf", and thats just fine by me.

DSP seems like theoretical physics at times...things can get really weird.

• Upvote 1

Only had my 500x a few weeks and just playing around with the overdrives today and noticed a weird aftertone, faint distortion after the note dies when played. It's hard to describe, has anyone else noticed this? It sounds bad.

Gazza

Yes, there has been a lot of discussion about this in the past. It seems like some days I hear it and other days I don't. A few firmware upgrades ago, I did a reflash and it went away. I've had it show up these days on my newer patches, but not on older ones I've built before the latest update. I blame it on the digital nature of modeling. When playing alone I can hear it some, but with the band it's unnoticeable.

In a way I'm glad it's not just me. It appears to be noticeable when I use the overdrives with the drive turned down low, it's like a faint fizzling than runs on after the notes. I noticed it through my DT25 first and thought it was the cabinet or something vibrating but it's there when playing the PODHD500X over SPDIF direct as well.

It's not all of them I noticed it on a couple....just happens to be the ones I want to use. I like a light overdrive with just a hint of clipping so back the drive off, I can't live with this fizzling though and am quite disappointed with this. It goes away or blends in when the drive control is raised.

Luckily the Screamer doesn't appear to exhibit this so far, I just need to work with some EQ to flatten out that mid hump and restore some of the lows that are taken out, somewhat like the real Tube Screamer.

Perhaps this fizzle is modelled and is present on the original pedals, I wouldn't know though.

So, far I'm finding some of the effects a little underwhelming, especially when played through the DT25. The reverbs sound poor through the amp. They sound really good in stereo through monitors but quite weak through the amp.

I've a long tweaking journey ahead to really get the POD to shine for me. Luckily the DT25 sounds so good on it's own I don't need to use too much from the POD so far to get good tones.

I'll search around and see if I can find the previous discussion on the drives issue.

Gazza