Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use EQ + Reverb instead of Acoustic Sim

theElevators

Just posted a video on my channel.  Basically, I came up with a better, more reliable "acoustic" sound on my electric guitar using an EQ and Reverb.  I just wanted to share it with you, because I spent several years trying to dial in my sound...unsuccessfully.  My sound is obviously not 100% like an acoustic, but a good convincing approximation for live playing. 

The only thing that is still a problem is the popping sound when you engage your acoustic guitar sound after an electric sound, when the amp block is bypassed.  But this is also there with an acoustic simulator, just need to add some delay spillover between snapshots to overcome that, and basically not strum when switching sounds from electric to acoustic. 

Here you go:

• theElevators changed the title to Use EQ + Reverb instead of Acoustic Sim
On 5/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, josehdx said:

Thanks for sharing. But you said that the acoustic sim pedal is temperamental depending the guitar. But what is the EQ any different? Thx

With the EQ it is not as sensitive to different guitars!  In my case I can play my Brian May guitar and Strat on the neck pickup and get a very similar consistent sound.  With the acoustic sim, the Strat just sounded like an ice pick with 60-cycle hum/buzz.  So this option in my setup works 100x better! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, theElevators said:

The only thing that is still a problem is the popping sound when you engage your acoustic guitar sound after an electric sound, when the amp block is bypassed

Would putting the simulator blocks and the amp block in parallel with each other then switch the routing at the split via snapshots stop the popping? You wouldn't be turning off the sim or amp at all, only redirecting the signal from one to the other (hard left/A or right/B)

On 5/19/2023 at 3:56 PM, benriddell said:

Would putting the simulator blocks and the amp block in parallel with each other then switch the routing at the split via snapshots stop the popping? You wouldn't be turning off the sim or amp at all, only redirecting the signal from one to the other (hard left/A or right/B)

Yes, there are tricks to prevent popping, like an A/B path.  I learned to overcome it by adjusting my playing :)