Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp as USB Interface with Logic - Sudden Latency

drod1985

I'd like to run Logic with my HX Stomp as an input device via USB (using a separate output device) but find that it will suddenly jump to about 2 seconds of latency randomly. This is resolved by either resetting the audio devices in Logic's menu or by simply playing and stopping the track in Logic. 

Suspecting sample rate issues I switched my project's sample rate to 48k to be in line with the Stomp's normal performance and the issue is resolved...however I don't want all my projects to be at 48k, I need many to be at 41k. 

I tried downloading and installing Helix drivers here (dated October '21), revised my Mac's security settings to be able to install, and the issue persists in sessions at 41k sample rates. However, I'm not seeing the drivers in either my System Preferences tool or in the extensions section of my Library.

Any thoughts/assistance? 

I may be wrong but I always assumed the Helix devices were all at 48K as far as the USB interface, but I could be wrong since I never use anything but 48k.  The link you provided has the firmware update for the Helix, but that's not specifically a USB driver.  That USB driver is contained as part of the FW upgrade.  I do know, from the activity in other forums, there are a number of vendors that are having problems which are supposedly still being worked on with their direct USB interfaces with Macs depending on the Mac, its OS level and it's configuration.  You might want to investigate that and see if there's a known fix.

I can't directly link to the page of Helix drivers, but what I installed was Line 6 Helix Driver2, Version 1.5.0, Released 10/7/2, which specifically says "This driver adds support for Apple Silicon systems (M1 and greater)...This driver provides sample rate conversion for 44.1kHz, 88.2kHz and 96kHz operation. For 48kHz operation, we recommend using the Mac class compliant driver. "

On 5/24/2023 at 1:27 PM, drod1985 said:

Any thoughts/assistance? 

Hi,

Not sure what is happening there for you.

I use Logic with my Helix Floor as the audio Interface and can set it to record and playback at 44.1 kHz without any latency issues as such. My playback monitors are connected on XLR from the Helix.

The Line 6 Driver should allow you to switch sample rates. AFAIK using the Mac built in Class Compliant system can only really deal with 48kHz in and out. You can set the sample rate in the Apple Audio MIDI Utility. 

Granted I'm still using Logic Pro X 10.4 on a 2015 iMac running OSX Catalina - if it ain't broke etc. - It just works.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, drod1985 said:

Any thoughts/assistance? 

Your Mac and MacOS version is …?

For what it's worth, I'm using the HX Stomp almost daily with two "antique" MacBook Pros, both running El Capitan (for a few reasons). One is a MBP 2008, the other the mid-2012 model. And I'm working a lot with Logic 10.3.3, using the Stomp as an interface for bass and guitar, even in combination with two "antique" FireWire interfaces (yep, they are one of the reasons for running El Capitan!) as an Aggregate Device.

The Helix driver that works best with El Capitan is v1.0.7. Newer drivers – even though some were still tagged as "compatible" – had problems.

The mid-2012 MBP can also boot Catalina, there I have installed the latest Helix driver I think. But I rarely boot it from Catalina because it breaks compatibility with other hardware and software, so I don't even know how it behaves.

Ah, and yes, I do all my audio recording and editing strictly 44.1 kHz

Your mileage may vary. :)

• Upvote 1

I notice your Mac OS is the one that has an issue with HX Edit’s ability to detect that updates are available. Is it possible that you updated HX Edit to v3.60 and then did not update the HX stomp firmware to v3.60 because you are aware that an update is available? If so you may be running incompatible versions of the driver and firmware. Just a thought - not likely, but possibly, the problem.

Both my Stomp and HX Edit are running 3.60 - but I didn't know there was an issue with detecting updates. Thanks for that heads up!  I've got my eyes on the Helix threads over at TGP constantly so I'm sure I'll see if there are updates available there if they don't push to HX Edit appropriately. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

maybe you can use your hx stomp usb asio driver with another software than logic.

use logic alone with another asio hardware (pci card usb card...) and use your hx stomp with a asio host software like VST HOST

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

after you record your hx stomp usb plugins in logic with a very low latency (64 samples) by plug hx stomp out to logic hardware in.

or by using asiolinkpro to plugs hx stomp asio out to logic asio in

https://give.academy/downloads/2018/03/03/ODeusASIOLinkPro/

in my case i do this with line 6 amp farm 2/ guitar rig rtas ....with protools recorded in creamware pulsar 2 asio with mutools/cubase/samplitude....

and i can use rtas plugins at 64 samples 1.5 millisecond.

demo here : https://www.ayewind.com/use-native-plugin-without-in-realtime-without-latency

demo of line amp farm 2 on bass and guitar with xln addidictive drum and guitar rig preset on voice with protools hd and cubase :

call me for advise if you need !

best regrds

weesch

MaXtor project.png