Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fitting a GK3 to aJTV89F

Hello all, this is my first post and I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this kind of thing, but here goes anyway...

I've fitted a Roland GK3 pickup to my 89F, but the mag pickup will only fit on the body so the pickup to string gap gets larger than is ideal on down-bends, and can choke out the string on up-bends.

So my question is, does anyone know anything about piggybacking off the bridge piezos to get rid of the mag altogether? I have no idea how you would buffer the two circuits, or if it's even necessary. I understand the concept of impedance matching, but my knowledge of electronics falls down somewhat in the real world, and I'm not keen to 'Cross my fingers and hope' that no damage will result.

In an ideal world someone will have done this already!

Cheers!

Billy.

"Why not? What are the possible issues? "  --- Too many for me to get into.

Being out of warranty,... would be at your own risk. And if it ended up on my repair bench,...

an unsupported mod, I would have to send it back untouched, as they only pay me to work

on our product and not someone else's accessory devices (Roland, in this case).

On 5/25/2023 at 7:45 PM, psarkissian said:

Being out of warranty,... would be at your own risk. And if it ended up on my repair bench,...

an unsupported mod, I would have to send it back untouched, as they only pay me to work

on our product and not someone else's accessory devices (Roland, in this case).

I only meant electronic issues- your contract of employment is your problem...

My guess as to why you will get no info is.

1) I'm pretty sure the piezo's outputs are amplified a lot so any small change in it's output would result in a big diffence in the  modelling. You'd have to be absolutely sure about the parameters s of everything.

2) I'm guessing whatever the electronic issues would be is something that cannot be discussed as it could give insight into their technology. Not, that it would, but instead of piecemealing what you can and can't talk about, it 's just a blanket, you can't talk about any of the product's internal spec's.

Two big guesses. Don't know for sure the reasons but I do know for sure you won't get any of that info here.

brue58ski,... pretty much.

Other complications would be that 89F is a tremolo bridge and the way it's mounted. Have not seen a successful function of a GK-3 on an 89F yet.

Couple of 69's (tremolo bridge) and a number of 59's (fixed bridge). Would be interesting to hear how this one turns out. Good luck.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:09 PM, billyalfetta said:

Hello all, this is my first post and I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this kind of thing, but here goes anyway...

I've fitted a Roland GK3 pickup to my 89F, but the mag pickup will only fit on the body so the pickup to string gap gets larger than is ideal on down-bends, and can choke out the string on up-bends.

So my question is, does anyone know anything about piggybacking off the bridge piezos to get rid of the mag altogether? I have no idea how you would buffer the two circuits, or if it's even necessary. I understand the concept of impedance matching, but my knowledge of electronics falls down somewhat in the real world, and I'm not keen to 'Cross my fingers and hope' that no damage will result.

In an ideal world someone will have done this already!

Cheers!

Billy.

Look at this blog post

The Variax Hexstainocaster Project
https://lazlotronic.com/blog/studio-upgrade-2021

RMC pickups sell a part VAR001 which is a buffer to split the signal to the Variax and a GK type pre-amp. This is what Adrian Belew's guitar had fitted. I believe the main use case for this is for pitch to MIDI applications

On 5/31/2023 at 6:56 AM, cags12 said:

Look at this blog post

The Variax Hexstainocaster Project
https://lazlotronic.com/blog/studio-upgrade-2021

RMC pickups sell a part VAR001 which is a buffer to split the signal to the Variax and a GK type pre-amp. This is what Adrian Belew's guitar had fitted. I believe the main use case for this is for pitch to MIDI applications

In reading that blog post, the blogger gave up on that RMC part and just ended up fitting a variation of a GK3 on the guitar. The blogger said the RMC degraded the model tone of the JTV too much to continue. That jives with @psarkissiancomment above about the versions.