Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - XLR-out to desk with direct connection to an active personal monitor

Smashcraaft

I am wondering about how to feed my Yamaha DBR12 active FRFR-Monitor the best way?
Coming from the POD HD500X, at rehearsal I had an external volume-controller connected from my 1/4 output to the DBR12, so I could dial in my personal volume by foot.

Now it seems to me, that with the Helix floorboard I could get rid of the external volume-controller, using the Phones-level dial and connect the Phones-out to the DBR12.
But is this realy the way to go or should I use an  1/4 output anyways and assign the Phones-level dial somehow, so that it only controlls the 1/4 out? This seems possible but at home I like to use the Phones-level dial for my Headphones without switching the settings.

Go to Global Settings, then In/Outs.  Go to "Volume Knob Controls" and specify what you want it to control. 

What I personally do is I send XLR L/R to FOH, while I use 1/4" Left as my monitor mix.  I have it so that only 1/4" are controlled with the volume knob.  Headphone jack controls ... the headphone volume. 

Balanced output should go to Front of the House, so there are is 0 interference.  So if you have two outputs: XLR and 1/4", XLR should go to FOH, and unbalance 1/4" should be used as a monitor mix IMO.  But feel free to do whatever fits your workflow. 

• Upvote 1

So you do not controle the XLR > FOH signal with your master-volume knob, right?
Instead you asign Volume Knob Controls only to the 1/4. Sounds logical.

But should I global assign Headphones Monitor to 1/4, XLR or Multi?
I am unsure about the differences.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:08 PM, Smashcraaft said:

So you do not controle the XLR > FOH signal with your master-volume knob, right?
Instead you asign Volume Knob Controls only to the 1/4. Sounds logical.

Correct.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:08 PM, Smashcraaft said:

But should I global assign Headphones Monitor to 1/4, XLR or Multi?
I am unsure about the differences.

Headphones I set to "Multi".  That means that whatever is routed out of the Helix will also go to the headphone jack.  So you should also set it to "Multi".  Multi includes both 1/4" and XLR. 

(On the Helix, when you build your preset you can specify where the output is going.  For me it's always out to Multi.  But some people may route things differently to 1/4", for example bypassing the amp block.   So you can specify what exactly you want in your headphone mix...)

On 5/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, theElevators said:

Headphones I set to "Multi".  That means that whatever is routed out of the Helix will also go to the headphone jack.  So you should also set it to "Multi".  Multi includes both 1/4" and XLR. 

Okay. I asked because I heard of differences in the output level (higher, when set to multi).
But this could be of cause the result of an unproper routing.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, Smashcraaft said:

Okay. I asked because I heard of differences in the output level (higher, when set to multi).
But this could be of cause the result of an unproper routing.

Most people who use a guitar amp as stage monitor don't use an IR on that output.

Most people who use an FRFR as stage monitor do use an IR on that output. 

I prefer to hear the amp (Helix or real amp) in my HP with an IR, so I set my HP to monitor the XLRs because I go into a guitar amp return for stage monitor and have the IR/CAB on the XLR to FOH.

Multi covers it all but as you said, the output is higher because it's a mix of all outputs.

You can use to HP volume knob to control the level, but do you WANT a mix of IR and no IR signals in your HP?

On 5/25/2023 at 1:32 AM, rd2rk said:

Most people who use a guitar amp as stage monitor don't use an IR on that output.

Most people who use an FRFR as stage monitor do use an IR on that output. 

I prefer to hear the amp (Helix or real amp) in my HP with an IR

Most likely most people will use the offered internal speakers for FOH + personal monitoring.
Does the signal still sum up to a "mix of all outputs" in this case?

On 5/24/2023 at 7:32 PM, rd2rk said:

Most people who use an FRFR as stage monitor do use an IR on that output. I

I have a bunch of delays that I run after my amp / cab in all of my presets. So for me it would be a giant pain to have to maintain 2 signal paths: one for stage volume and another for FOH.   Every time I change the delay time for FOH, I'd need to mimic it for the monitor mix.  No, thanks. 

BTW, Pod Go has a way to disable the amp for the personal monitor mix.  No such thing on the Helix....

it’s a common misconception that you absolutely have to turn off the amp/speaker sim if you are running into a physical clean amp/effects loop.  Not so. 

Trust me, I use my sound exactly the way it is to going to FOH and running it through through a power amp + speaker, and it’s fine. Very rarely I have to apply global EQ to 1/4” to take out the bottom.  However, again, there is no rule set in stone that you have to disable the amp if you are running through a physical amp/cab.  If it sounds fine then who cares if you have an extra amp. 

What is the worst that can happen? Having an additional amp may add more gain to your sound.... And an additional speaker cab may remove the top from your sound and make it more muffled, that's all.  In my experience Fender-type clean amps or a simple solid state power amp like Baby Bomb that I keep raving about running into a single 12" speaker do not color my sound in any way.  I get the same familiar sound I get at home on my mixing monitors. 

My source: I've played lots of shows in the US and abroad; indoor/outdoor for several thousand people.  But then again, Helix is so flexible, that you can make it fit your workflow and break any rules you want, nobody's stopping you.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:58 AM, Smashcraaft said:

Most likely most people will use the offered internal speakers for FOH + personal monitoring.

No Helix I know of has internal speakers. Do you mean the stock cabs?

Some people love the new cabs, some will only use IRs because... ?

As discussed above, if you monitor through a guitar amp and you like the way the cabs/IRs sound through it, go for it.

• Upvote 1