Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does hx Stomp Change the sound of my (real) amp?

armoredcore80

Help me!

I'd like to know if hx stomp change the natural sound of my amp.

I have a hx effects and this one don't change the sound. Does the hx stomp work in the same way or it's like the pod hd 500 I had some years ago?

I'd like to upgrade my rig with the stomp but I don't want this problem.

Please, it's really important the difference between hx effects and hx stomp.

Thank you.

The main difference between HX FX and Stomp is that Stomp has an auto impedance circuit at the input as any other HX/Helix modeler of the family. You can turn it off and set your wanted impedance to be loaded. Imho shouldn't be any different than HX FX as soon as you don't do modeling within the Stomp.

Also depends how you use it, and how you route the signal to the Stomp. (front of amp? 4CM? FX loop? etc etc).

No idea what you meant with "like the pod hd 500 I had some years ago" tho. :)

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, armoredcore80 said:

Help me!

I'd like to know if hx stomp change the natural sound of my amp.

I have a hx effects and this one don't change the sound. Does the hx stomp work in the same way or it's like the pod hd 500 I had some years ago?

I'd like to upgrade my rig with the stomp but I don't want this problem.

Please, it's really important the difference between hx effects and hx stomp.

Thank you.

Hi,

I find your question rather confusing.

If you have an HX FX that doesn’t interfere with the natural sound of your amp, then why do you want to change? Surely the whole point of the HX Stomp is the fact it contains “amp modelling” that allows you to totally modify the tone of your existing amplifier. If you never intend to use this option, there seems to be little point in swapping to a Stomp version. 

If you decide to buy a Stomp, then depending on how you set it up with your amp, you could use it as an FX only box (which is identical to your HXFX), or use the various modelled preamps into your amp using 4CM - to save on typing, please see the reply from @rd2rk in this post.

Like @PierM in his reply above, I have no real idea what of you mean by “Does the hx stomp work in the same way or it's like the pod hd 500 I had some years ago?”.  They are both multi effects units with built in amp modelling, although the Helix is far better at modelling. (I still have a POD HD500 lurking around here somewhere).

• Upvote 1

The fact is that id like to record my songs playing directly in my pc without mic or amp. But i also want a pedalboard to play in front of my amp in live.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm afraid that if I use the stomp in my combo with effects alone (not using amp simulations) the sound will change dramatically... which it doesn't with hx effects. when i used the hd 500 pod, even if i didn't activate the amp simulations, the sound of my amp was different from when i played directly in the combo without going through the pedalboard. To evaluate this thing of sound I am referring to the sound of the guitar with no effect going into the amp.
sorry for my poor command of the english language.
thanks for all the replies.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, PierM said:

The main difference between HX FX and Stomp is that Stomp has an auto impedance circuit at the input as any other HX/Helix modeler of the family. You can turn it off and set your wanted impedance to be loaded. Imho shouldn't be any different than HX FX as soon as you don't do modeling within the Stomp.

Also depends how you use it, and how you route the signal to the Stomp. (front of amp? 4CM? FX loop? etc etc).

No idea what you meant with "like the pod hd 500 I had some years ago" tho. :)

Ciao Pier... sono italiano e sicuramente mi sono spiegato male.  :)

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, armoredcore80 said:

The fact is that id like to record my songs playing directly in my pc without mic or amp. But i also want a pedalboard to play in front of my amp in live.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm afraid that if I use the stomp in my combo with effects alone (not using amp simulations) the sound will change dramatically... which it doesn't with hx effects. when i used the hd 500 pod, even if i didn't activate the amp simulations, the sound of my amp was different from when i played directly in the combo without going through the pedalboard. To evaluate this thing of sound I am referring to the sound of the guitar with no effect going into the amp.

Ah, now it makes a little more sense because your HX FX doesn't have the USB audio interface function, but if you did change to the HX Stomp, you would be losing 3 footswitches. 

Plus, I'm not sure how this works, but as the registered owner of the HX effects you may be entitled to a discount on the Helix Native plug-in. Then you could add a cheap Audio Interface into which you could Direct Inject your dry guitar and have all the benefits of re-amping with a full Helix in your recording software.

Best of both worlds?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2023 at 3:03 PM, armoredcore80 said:

I honestly cant speak for the HD500, but I can assure you the Stomp wont do anything terrible to your signal. Doesnt do anything terrible to my real amps either. There'll be an ADA conversion, as happens with the HX FX. It will be fine. :)

Just be sure to properly set the Stomp output to inst level if you'll be using it in front of the amp. (Global Settings)

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:03 PM, datacommando said:

Ah, now it makes a little more sense because your HX FX doesn't have the USB audio interface function, but if you did change to the HX Stomp, you would be losing 3 footswitches. 

Plus, I'm not sure how this works, but as the registered owner of the HX effects you may be entitled to a discount on the Helix Native plug-in. Then you could add a cheap Audio Interface into which you could Direct Inject your dry guitar and have all the benefits of re-amping with a full Helix in your recording software.

Best of both worlds?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I didn't know about this thing about the helix plugin...perhaps, besides being economically advantageous, it's also more practical.
Now I'm looking for a way to find it. I have a focusrite and use reaper to record.
If I can't find where to download the plugin could you help me?
Thanks again.

• Like 1