Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phantom Power Issue

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before?

I had to use phantom power on channels 1-6 and 7-12 last night for the first time. Unfortunately 7-12 didn't work, despite the desk indicating the power was on. Is this a known issue, or something I'll have to have looked at by Line 6? 99% of the time this won't be an issue for me, but it was annoying to have to swap microphones late in our soundcheck to get around the issue.

Thanks.

Malc 

Make sure you are running the latest firmware. I recall an issue involving phantom power that was resolved in a firmware update. I can't recall whether it was exactly this issue, but it's worth checking.

It was update from version 1.0 to version 1.1, Silverhead. See the paste below from Firmare 1.1 Update information in the Knowledge Base: 

• Status of the phantom power of channel 7- 12 was not saved with setups on previous firmware version.

The problem Malce is having needs to be investigated by Line6 to determine if it is systemic (all M20d's have the same problem), or something unique to Malevans mixer.

I only have one condenser mic so I can't try it out.

• Upvote 1

"I only have one condenser mic so I can't try it out."

One is all you need! I've tried one condenser mic in 1-6 and it works. I've tried it in 7-12 and it doesn't. The desk is saying Phantom power is on, but no power is getting through. It's not the issue:

• Status of the phantom power of channel 7- 12 was not saved with setups on previous firmware version.

Stupid question and not meant offending:

Have turned phantom power for channels 7-12 also? Phantom Power has to be turned on seperately for rows 1-6 and 7-12.

Nevertheless I have just tried my cajo mic on both rows and both are working just fine.

If one row is not working even if phantom power is turned on for that row you should turn it in for repair.

"I only have one condenser mic so I can't try it out."

One is all you need! I've tried one condenser mic in 1-6 and it works. I've tried it in 7-12 and it doesn't. The desk is saying Phantom power is on, but no power is getting through. It's not the issue:

Hey Malce,

I tried it with my one Shure SM94. I put it in Channel 1 & tried different combinations of 48V on & off. Then, I repeated it channel 12. Your post seemed to lead to the problem being with both banks on with condenser mics connected to both banks. I couldn't duplicate your situation because of my one mic.

Below is a table of what I found.

Bank1-6     Bank7-12         Mic                   Output

48V             48V              Location              Sound

1.   OFF            OFF              B1-6                    NO
  2.   ON              OFF              B1-6                    YES
  3.   OFF            ON                B1-6                    NO
  4.   ON              ON               B1-6                    YES
  5.   OFF             OFF             B7-12                   NO
  6.   ON              OFF              B7-12                   NO
  7.   OFF             ON               B7-12                  YES
  8.   ON               ON              B7-12                  YES

​With both banks on, the mic still worked while connected to channel 12. So both banks of my mixer are working with only one mic. That's as far as I can go. 

Hope this helps you. At least the problem isn't with all the M20d's.

By the way, making a table in here was hard. It reminded me of doing one in a typewriter. You guys do remember typewriters, right?

I had the same problem on Bank 7 to 12, Phantom power showing but microphone not seeing it. This, coupled with a few other problems before the updated firmware resulted in me having to send the mixer back to Line 6 who replaced it without hesitation once they received my mixer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue. I tried a couple of condenser mics on random inputs in banks 1-6 and 7-12. Plugged in the mic, turned on phantom power, no signal. I haven't tested every input, but that's my next step. I will also test the cables and mics on another board just to be certain I'm not being silly and using broken equipment. Any other suggestions? I updated the firmware last night and it did not alleviate my problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

You know if phantom power is actually on or off if a powered device attached works or not. Such as a condenser mic or powered DI box.

Control from the M20d is on the Setup screen when you press the I/O bar there are two 48v buttons on the left which toggle it on or off for the upper or lower bank of inputs. See page 18 of the Advanced manual:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c12bb52431be9dd7c2/application/pdf/StageScape M20d Advanced Guide - English ( Rev D ).pdf