Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL - no sound from either "Open Back" 3.60 Cabs

joshfass

Hey all,

I updated to 3.60, downloaded a few presets, including the Grammatico GSG preset from Jason Sadites... 

1. NO sound from the Cab (1x12 Open Back) - but it works when I turn Cab off, or pick another.

2. Noticed the same when trying the DIR: Grammatico preset, which uses the same Cab

3. All other Cab models work.

4. I've redownloaded the presets, did a factory restore, re-installed several times, and still - Doesn't work.

Mac OS - Monterey 12.6.6

HX Edit 3.61

Stomp XL - 3.6

Also weird, was that the Snapshots are actually named Clean, OD, Lead, which is visible in HX Edit, but when you look at the HX Stomp, it's only showing the right name on Snaps 2 and 3. Snapshot 1 is just showing as the Camera Icon (1)

PLEASE help me, i'm buggin' out.

Thanks,

Josh

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.34.21 PM.png

Edited by joshfass
update information re: OS

On 6/1/2023 at 5:04 AM, rd2rk said:

Is the JS preset free or paid?

If free, attach a copy.

NOT the preset as exported from HX Edit, the preset in its original downloaded version.

Hi,

It’s a Marketplace item - the yellow plectrum icon is a clue, but I checked and it’s listed there.

There is nothing particularly complex about the preset, although it was created for FW. 3.5, and the OP says he has updated to 3.60, plus done the factory reset. Most strange that it works with a different cab? Maybe a mismatch of HX Edit and Firmware revision. Note: Bug fixed HX Edit 3.61 available to download now!

Dunno, what to suggest, but if it was me, I would contact Support, or possibly Jason directly.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:34 AM, joshfass said:

PLEASE help me, i'm buggin' out.

HI,

You are running a Mac, but didn't say what OS you have installed - There has been some issues with some of the newer Macs failing to download and install v3.60 HX Edit.

Please check that both your HX Edit and Firmware are on the same version - In fact if you are running Ventura 13.3.1(a) you definitely should download and install the Bug Fix version of HX Edit 3.61. - well do it anyway!

I have just loaded a Firmware v3.60 Grammatico GSG and 1x12 Open Cast Amp/Cab block (stock settings) along with a Ping Pong Delay, a Dynamic Hall Reverb and LA Studio Comp. It works just fine for me, although there are no Snapshots in the preset. I have uploaded it (Gram 3.60.hlx) here for you to download and see if this has the same issues.

Gram 3.60.hlx

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 5:24 AM, datacommando said:

It’s a Marketplace item - the yellow plectrum icon is a clue, but I checked and it’s listed there.

Since I never buy Marketplace stuff I was unaware of the "plectrum" thingy. Good to know!

On 6/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, rd2rk said:

Since I never buy Marketplace stuff I was unaware of the "plectrum" thingy. Good to know!

Same here re: buying stuff, but the yellow guitar pick has featured in a few posts, mainly due to some issue with the Marketplace and licensing of the preset or IRs in the pack.

This might be likely to be something to do with the Mac. As far as I can tell he must be on OS Monterey at the very least, going by the icons in his taskbar. Strange to note that even though he posted this problem yesterday, the screen shot is actually dated the afternoon of the 4th of May. (May the Fourth be with you!)

It could also be that although he says he updated and reset, but didn’t mention if the box went through the “Rebuilding Presets”. Possibly that could explain the glitch with only that particular cab.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

You all are so helpful!!! Jason’s been trying to help and we’re both  stumped. I’ve now got HX edit on 3.61 and my stomp is showing 3.60

Even when I do a full factory reset, and use JNC’s GSG preset with the open back cab, it doesn’t work. The other one works though. It’s like the silicone/ memory for JUST those two cabs is busted. 

the screenshot is from the date I reached out to Jason and sent him that photo. 

is there another reset process other than holding down C + D while powering up?

I’ll try the preset you shared. Thanks so much. Genuinely grateful for all the assistance. 
josh

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, datacommando said:

HI,

You are running a Mac, but didn't say what OS you have installed - There has been some issues with some of the newer Macs failing to download and install v3.60 HX Edit.

Please check that both your HX Edit and Firmware are on the same version - In fact if you are running Ventura 13.3.1(a) you definitely should download and install the Bug Fix version of HX Edit 3.61. - well do it anyway!

I have just loaded a Firmware v3.60 Grammatico GSG and 1x12 Open Cast Amp/Cab block (stock settings) along with a Ping Pong Delay, a Dynamic Hall Reverb and LA Studio Comp. It works just fine for me, although there are no Snapshots in the preset. I have uploaded it (Gram 3.60.hlx) here for you to download and see if this has the same issues.

Gram 3.60.hlx 12.71 kB · 1 download

Hope this helps/makes sense

Just downloaded, and it's the same exact weird behavior...  No sound, then i change the cab OR turn off the cab, and it works... I've tried it in several preset locations, etc, and cannot understand what's going on???

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:02 AM, joshfass said:

Just downloaded, and it's the same exact weird behavior...  No sound, then i change the cab OR turn off the cab, and it works... I've tried it in several preset locations, etc, and cannot understand what's going on???

Hi, Josh,

That is the weirdest thing - all the other cabs work fine apart from the Open Cast. That really is digital voodoo.

Anyhow, here are the full set of Reset Options for your HX Stomp XL from the Line 6 Knowledge Base on here.

HX Stomp XL

Hold these button combinations while powering up the HX Stomp XL:

1.  FS ^, C & D: clears all presets/IRs

2.  FS ^+C: resets presets and IRs

3.  FS C+D: factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

4. Page >: Update mode. This update mode is helpful if the update is interrupted, and the HX Stomp will not boot properly. 
You will see a blank screen (no visual feedback on the display).

5. Upper & Lower Knobs: Rebuild presets. Wait for "Will Rebuild Presets..." to appear and let go.

(This site is always worth looking at:- https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options#hx-stomphx-stomp-xl)

My best guess in this situation would be to go for option 5, Rebuild Presets. This should have been invoked automatically after the Firmware Update finished and your unit reboots. It’s one of those things that is necessary to  upgrade all your presets to the latest format. You should also see the “Rebuilding Presets” on screen when you power up after loading any older version presets downloaded from any third party or places such as CustomTone.

If this doesn’t resolve this, I suggest you contact Customer Support, because this is such an odd thing.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

I just realised that there is a Factory Preset in the Stomp XL that uses the Grammatico GSG, located here:

• 10D [039] DIR:Gram GSG

It may be worth checking if that preset uses the same cab block and if the same issue arises.

Plus: have you tried creating a preset that uses that amp, but with a separate open back cab block?

Keep us posted 

Edited by datacommando
Added Edit
  • Upvote 1

Is that cab working if you build your own presets?

I assume it is, so instead going crazy trying to debug, why wouldnt you just copy the settings used by Jason for that cab, remove it, add it again from the cab list, and then apply those settings?

At least this is what I would try in a similar situation.

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, PierM said:

Is that cab working if you build your own presets?

That would be worth checking out, but I created a very simple preset using the same amp/cab block on my Helix. The OP has loaded that and encountered the same problem, which seems to only happen with the open back cab models - the Open Cast and Open Cream. Both of these are new cabs which were added in the v.3.6 firmware.

Very strange.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, datacommando said:

That would be worth checking out, but I created a very simple preset using the same amp/cab block on my Helix. The OP has loaded that and encountered the same problem, which seems to only happen with the open back cab models - the Open Cast and Open Cream. Both of these are new cabs which were added in the v.3.6 firmware.

Very strange.

Yikes...

If he's on the right firmware, Im pretty sure it's a corrupted database, so I'd reset the unit again, restore original presets from 3.6, reset globals and rebuild all presets at next boot. At that point Id try to re import that preset. I would also avoid to restore any previous backup for this test.

Sometimes just the reset isnt enough and you also need to wipe out every single bit from the unit database.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1