Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power issues

Tjevans100

So, I got my Shuriken yesterday from SW.  It was a demo model, with only minor cosmetic issues disclosed.  Inspection card checked all applicable boxes.  I have a Helix Floor, a Relay, and the Line 6 VDI cable sold on Amazon, for content.

I plugged the Variax into the Helix while I charged the battery.  I used both the cable that came with it, and the one from Amazon.  nothing happened.  no lights, anywhere, no sound, not recognized by Workbench or Monkey.  I did have the Helix input set to Variax, BTW.  Waited for battery to charge, installed it, plugged in Relay transmitter, nothing.  Plugged in a 1/4 cable, nothing.  I couldn't get this thing to turn on to save my life.  So I contacted my SW rep, and opened a support ticket here at L6.

I went to bed, woke up, plugged in the VDI cable and it magically fired up, it worked beautifully.  Workbench and Monkey both recognized it.  Played around with it for a bit, unplugged it, put it back on it's stand, started a load of laundry.  Came back, plugged it back in....nothing.  So I began unplugging and plugging repeatedly, which can't be good for the hardware.  About 1 in every 8 attempts, a red light will blink.  and 1 in every 50 or so attempts, the Shuriken will actually turn on.  When it was on, again, I fiddled around for a while. 

Then I realized I hadn't been able to get it to work with the battery, yet.  So I unplugged the VDI, installed the fully charged battery, and plugged in the Relay....nothing.  Started doing the redundant plug/unplug cycle with the Relay, occasionally getting the red blink, until it finally turned on.

Every time I plug it in, I do try to push the model knob...I've tried plugging it in while pushing the model knob.  I've tried pushing the shaft without the knob.  I've tried every trick in the book to get this thing to work as intended....but something must be wrong with it.

What exactly is the ‘Relay’ you mention. Have you tried the setup without it? Just the Variax, VDI or battery, and Helix?

I know you said you did “the redundant plug/unplug cycle with the Relay” but I don’t know what that means.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, silverhead said:

What exactly is the ‘Relay’ you mention. Have you tried the setup without it? Just the Variax, VDI or battery, and Helix?

I know you said you did “the redundant plug/unplug cycle with the Relay” but I don’t know what that means.

Relay is the wireless system from l6.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:40 PM, Tjevans100 said:

So, I got my Shuriken yesterday from SW.  It was a demo model, with only minor cosmetic issues disclosed.  Inspection card checked all applicable boxes.  I have a Helix Floor, a Relay, and the Line 6 VDI cable sold on Amazon, for content.

I plugged the Variax into the Helix while I charged the battery.  I used both the cable that came with it, and the one from Amazon.  nothing happened.  no lights, anywhere, no sound, not recognized by Workbench or Monkey.  I did have the Helix input set to Variax, BTW.  Waited for battery to charge, installed it, plugged in Relay transmitter, nothing.  Plugged in a 1/4 cable, nothing.  I couldn't get this thing to turn on to save my life.  So I contacted my SW rep, and opened a support ticket here at L6.

I went to bed, woke up, plugged in the VDI cable and it magically fired up, it worked beautifully.  Workbench and Monkey both recognized it.  Played around with it for a bit, unplugged it, put it back on it's stand, started a load of laundry.  Came back, plugged it back in....nothing.  So I began unplugging and plugging repeatedly, which can't be good for the hardware.  About 1 in every 8 attempts, a red light will blink.  and 1 in every 50 or so attempts, the Shuriken will actually turn on.  When it was on, again, I fiddled around for a while. 

Then I realized I hadn't been able to get it to work with the battery, yet.  So I unplugged the VDI, installed the fully charged battery, and plugged in the Relay....nothing.  Started doing the redundant plug/unplug cycle with the Relay, occasionally getting the red blink, until it finally turned on.

Every time I plug it in, I do try to push the model knob...I've tried plugging it in while pushing the model knob.  I've tried pushing the shaft without the knob.  I've tried every trick in the book to get this thing to work as intended....but something must be wrong with it.

False contacts, broken solder joint, short circuit, loose ribbon cables...it can be a lot of things that cant be easily diagnosed in a forum. I'd bring it to an authorized l6 service. This will also prevent things getting worse. :)

Just not sure what's that "red blink"? Blink from what?

On 6/3/2023 at 11:51 AM, PierM said:

Just not sure what's that "red blink"? Blink from what?

I have no idea....when I plug in the VDI cable, there will be a red led under the model knob that blinks....it never stays on, just lights, then immediately goes out.  Same with the 1/4 inch plug, but not as often.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:25 AM, Tjevans100 said:

I have no idea....when I plug in the VDI cable, there will be a red led under the model knob that blinks....it never stays on, just lights, then immediately goes out.  Same with the 1/4 inch plug, but not as often.

Give it a read;