Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not recognized by m1 macbook but just fine on pc

bannonrudis

I bought an M1 macbook about a year ago because I heard good things about it for recording. I had been using the Helix with Logic Pro and everything was working just fine. Suddenly it just stopped recognizing the helix when I plug it in. Mind you, I've been through all the "Try plugging it in again, try holding down these two switches, plug directly into the macbook, restarting, rebooting, and whatever else has been suggested. I even took it to the actual Line 6/ Yamaha hq myself instead of shipping it in for repair. They couldn't get it to work with my mac either. The repair guy had it for a week trying to figure it out. No line 6 product were being recognized by my macbook. I recorded several songs on it already by simply plugging my Helix into my macbook. Then one day, nothing. Hx edit or logic don't even notice it. Any clues? My pc picks up on it just fine. So i was able to update it. 

From the sound of it, you dont need any l6 support, but apple assistance.

Are you using USB A to USB C adapters or A to C cable? Those can be a problem as they have a chip that sometimes is being ignored by the Mac.

As for the little A to C adapters, for many of those, you need to plug them first to be recognized and activated, then plug the helix usb B to A cable, to such adapter.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:51 PM, bannonrudis said:

They couldn't get it to work with my mac either. The repair guy had it for a week trying to figure it out. No line 6 product were being recognized by my macbook.

Hi,

I’m with @PierM on this one - No Line 6 Product recognised by the Mac, yet fully functional on your Windows machine. That has to be a problem for an Apple tech, not Line 6.

When screwy stuff just starts to happen, you have to ask yourself, “what changed?” My guess would be that your MB did an auto update to the System software while you weren’t looking.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

I have tried several different cables. I just reset and wiped my entire computer and neither logic or hx edit will recognize my Helix still. I tried plugging it in without drivers to see what would happen, but nothing. I do see it saying "To install line 6 drivers you need Rosetta. Rosetta allows Intel based features to run on Apple silicon macs."

I tried skipping this but it failed each time. Installing it gets me the same results. I tried the previous driver and it said i needed Rosetta as well. 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, bannonrudis said:

I have tried several different cables. I just reset and wiped my entire computer and neither logic or hx edit will recognize my Helix still. I tried plugging it in without drivers to see what would happen, but nothing. I do see it saying "To install line 6 drivers you need Rosetta. Rosetta allows Intel based features to run on Apple silicon macs."

I tried skipping this but it failed each time. Installing it gets me the same results. I tried the previous driver and it said i needed Rosetta as well. 

Ah ha!

Now you mention Rosetta, maybe you should read this post from Line 6 Tony:-

@PierM also had a post regarding Rosetta and Helix Native.

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:39 AM, datacommando said:

@PierM also had a post regarding Rosetta and Helix Native.

I've been told Rosetta with Native is only being used by the Installer, which sounds realistic. HX Edit still looks like an Intel process.

Said that, none of this does affect the USB com. Helix would be recognized with or without L6 drivers.

Time to bring that mac to an Apple service point, or give up.

• Upvote 1