Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Request guidance on snapshot bypass

MichaelContour

Hi Folks.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I cannot figure out how to proceed on my Helix LT.

I have it it 4-snapshot/4-stomp mode.

For three of the stomps, I want the existing on/off state to remain as I switch between snapshots. For the fourth stomp, I want the existing on/off state to remain as I switch snapshots, except I want it forced to off for the fourth shapshot.  

Any pointers on how to get this to work as desired?

Thanks.

Michael

For further context...

I have a distortion pedal as one of my stomps.  I have four different modulations set up as snapshots, and a rotary speaker as one of the modulations.  Regardless of the current state of the distortion stomp, I want it forced off if I switch to the rotary speaker snapshot (want to use the built-in drive of the rotary speaker instead).

If I engage SNAPSHOT BYPASS for the distortion pedal while the rotary speaker snapshot is selected, the distortion pedal is SNAPSHOT BYPASSed for all snapshots, not just the current snapshot.

Is it possible to have a stomp to have SNAPSHOT BYPASS on an individual snapshot basis, or is it all or none?

Another way to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks.

Save your snapshot the way you want it.  If you bypass a block in that snapshot and save the preset, then every time you go to that snapshot the block you bypassed will remain bypassed.   That is, unless you turn it on.  If you do turn it on it will stay on if you switch back and forth between snapshots unless you turn it off before switching to another snapshot.

All snapshots behave this way.  Any blocks (including those you have access to as stomps) stay as they were the last time you went to that snapshot.  If you press bank and reload the preset it will revert to the settings from the last time you saved the preset.  All blocks assigned to stomp switches will remain as you left them and that is on a per snapshot basis.  Turning a block on or off in one snapshot does not turn it on or off in another snapshot.

On 6/5/2023 at 1:27 PM, MichaelContour said:

For three of the stomps, I want the existing on/off state to remain as I switch between snapshots. For the fourth stomp, I want the existing on/off state to remain as I switch snapshots, except I want it forced to off for the fourth shapshot.  

On 6/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, MichaelContour said:

Is it possible to have a stomp to have SNAPSHOT BYPASS on an individual snapshot basis, or is it all or none?

Another way to achieve what I'm after?

Snapshot Bypass is all or nothing. You can't set it for "all snapshots except".

I do not think that there is a way around this. IIRC, I wanted to do something similar at one time and could not work it out.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I think I resolved it by using MIDI to go around the Snapshot Bypass logic. However, again IIRC, it caused a problem when returning to another SS where the Snapshot Bypass SHOULD have had it ON. Sorry my memory is not better, it was a LONG time ago. You could always try it.

I tried the MIDI thing and it worked, with the caveat that you can't expect the Snapshot Bypassed effect that's being turned OFF with MIDI to turn ON again when you switch snapshots again. Also, if you're already using MIDI for something else it could get complicated.

Connect a short MIDI Cable from the MIDI IN to the MIDI Out.

Make sure that Global Settings>MIDI>MIDI THRU = OFF.

Set the MIDI BYPASS of the Distortion to an unused CC# (I used 11 for my test, as long as it's not a number used by Helix you should be OK).

In the snapshot that you want the Rotary ON/Distortion OFF set an Instant Command on the Helix BASE Channel to CC#11 (or whatever) VALUE = 0.

Now when you load the Rotary SS it will turn OFF the Distortion, but unless you load that SS the Distortion will be ON or OFF per the expected SNAPSHOT BYPASS rule.