Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD GO + Orange Pedal Baby. Tips?

JerseyTrash

I just bought this little unit to run into my Orange PB + 2x12 w/ Vintage 30s. I've only been able to play around with the settings for a few days, but so far, I've found that using the AMPLIFIER (not PREAMP) models + IR (no cab, and not turning it off) has sounded the best... so far. 

Still needs a lot of tweaking until I can get it to sound a bit more natural and less nasal. I was wondering if anyone had any tips w/ a similar setup?

I mainly play really heavy rock (like Alice In Chains and Metallica). 

For me, I've found a few things that help:

In the AMPLIFIER:
• Lowering the SAG to as close to nothing really tightens the tone up
• Pushing the BIAS helps bring it alive more

• Still no idea what BIAS X does

• Amps w/ a DEPTH setting can help add more "guts" to the tone

• Some high gain amp models tend to sound better by almost completely gutting the mids (and I *LIKE* mids!)

In the IR settings:

• Giving it a bit of a high end cut helps a bit 

Any other tips?

On 6/6/2023 at 3:45 AM, JerseyTrash said:

I just bought this little unit to run into my Orange PB + 2x12 w/ Vintage 30s. I've only been able to play around with the settings for a few days, but so far, I've found that using the AMPLIFIER (not PREAMP) models + IR (no cab, and not turning it off) has sounded the best... so far. 

Still needs a lot of tweaking until I can get it to sound a bit more natural and less nasal. I was wondering if anyone had any tips w/ a similar setup?

In the AMPLIFIER:

• Some high gain amp models tend to sound better by almost completely gutting the mids (and I *LIKE* mids!)

In the IR settings:

Any other tips?

"Bias

Bias Changes the bias of the power tubes. Lower values achieve a “colder”
Class AB biasing. At maximum, the amp is operating in Class A.

Bias X
Determines how the power amp tubes’ voicing reacts when pushed
hard. Set low for a tighter feel. Set high for more tube compression.
This parameter is highly reactive with the Drive and Master settings."

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:45 PM, JerseyTrash said:

In the AMPLIFIER:

In the IR settings:

Any other tips?

The Pod Go is realistic enough so that it's pretty similar to real amps, so I would hunt down the real amps equivalent using this page and check out videos about tweaking the real amps.  That's one of the thing I really loved with the Go, instead of just virtual amps, it gets you to learn about real gear, even some history about amps and iconic amps.

There's also quite a few EQ vids also which might help you get rid of that nasal sound, but might that come from the Orange Baby or cab?  Maybe using the EQ/tone controls on the the Orange Baby might help to make it sound more neutral, as possibly the amp + your cab have their own flavors.  So, for that playing some music using the line-in of the go might help you figure out how to make it more neutral of a platform. 

If the EQ on amp does not do much, and there's still too much coloration, the Go has a global EQ, so you could set that up to 'counter' the amp/cab, and then you'd have a clean slate for all your patches!  Plus, if you have to plug somewhere else, can just edit global EQ and all your patches will sound great.

Then there's all the PGO pedals and effecsts to check out lol

i have the orange pedal baby and use it with a 4x12 cab with celestion speakers, couldnt dial in a sound i liked, so i went and bought Freman presets after months of researching presets, his are the best for the style of music we play imo, i have everything he makes and love them, he is a real studio engineer, look him up here on the line 6 web marketplace or his own web page, the only thing i did was shut off the ir when using my amp n cab and added a tighter gate for rhythm patches-metal haha, they sound amazing through headphones and if ya practice covers like it sounds you do and i as well,, with the pod go connected to your pc, then go to youtube and start man in the box-enter sandman whatever per say,,,adjust the YT volume to match the pod go volume and its like u r in the band and playing through headphones sounds incredible and its the only way i practice now lol, and on the pedal baby i keep the bass n treble at 9 o'clock and master at noon, and adjust the pod go volume knob accordingly when i use it that way, BUT for over a year now, since i have discovered playing covers through the pod go using headphones and YouTube, i haven't used my amp n cab since, if ya need more help, if you decide to purchase any of his presets, get ahold of me and ill tell ya exactly what ones i use and love, tc man !!@!!