Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When I Connect My Pod Hd500 To The Computer, Amplifier Makes Noises Like R2-d2. Why?

StairwayToHeaven

Hello there guys. Sorry if my language is obscure, I know a little bit English.  :) 

When I want to write my tone with "POD HD500 Edit" app, I connect it with USB to the computer and I connect POD's output to the amplifier. But when it connected both of them (amp & pc), I'm getting some weird noise like R2-D2. :P I've added a file if you guys want to hear what it sounds like.  Why is this happening? Is it solvable? 

Thank you in advence.  :)

Amplifier Noise.WAV

If it is laptop, then run on batteries when you use both..If it is desktop... Too bad...I think this is grounding issue, not pod or amp problem, you have to live with it.

Wouw. I did not expect this to be resolved so quickly. It's laptop and i tried what you said. It's working. Thank you very much again.  :)

• Upvote 1

I had the same problem with my Dell Laptop when plugged into my Amp but when I used the XLR cable balanced outs into my Powered PA speaker it's dead quiet even with my Laptop charger plugged in.  This is a good thing because the battery in my Laptop is just about at the end of it's life and it won't run on the battery all that long.  I tend to run my HD500x connected to my Laptop all the time so I can use the Edit program rather than fool with the controls on the pod.

I was doing that way too but I bought a new amplifier and I'm trying to writing tones for it, so I must connect the amplifier anyway. Actually it's very annoying situation that I have to write my tone in one hour(my battery time). But even so, better than that noise. I'm gonna research that grounding problem. I hope I can find the solution and share it in here.  :)

• Upvote 1

I have a similarly noisy laptop (in fact, 2 different HP laptops have had the same issue) and so did quite a bit of reading about this. It's basically caused by crappy quality power supplies. Most laptops do it but some don't.

My choice of solution is that, when my current laptop packs in, I'm going to replace it with a custom-build desktop PC for my studio, a 2TB network drive attached to my router, a media streaming device attached to my TV and hi-fi, and a tablet for general tinternet access.

Should be able to get all that for under £1000, which isn't much different to what I'd likely spend on a new laptop anyway.

I am going to try another approach to breaking the ground loop.  I ordered a USB Isolator that should isolate my HD500x from my laptop.  There are several of those out there that use an Analog Devices chip designed for this purpose.  I will let you guys know how it works when I get it.