Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500 Connection To Monitor

klausiozzi

Hi to all,

please, forgive me for my noobiness but i have a question.

I have to connect my pod hd500 to a single stage monitor (ma150) but it has only two xlr input (line input & mic input).

6955943_800.jpg

What's the best way to implement this connection:

1. use a single xlr output ?
  2. use an adapter cable 1/4' to male xlr ?

and  have I to use exclusively line input or mic input is the same ?

I have only mono patches so stereo is not needed.

Thanks in advance to all for the attention.

First, set your HD500 Output switch on the top panel of the HD500 to Line (not Amp). You can use either the 1/4" L/MONO output from the HD500 (with adapter) or either of the XLR outputs from the HD500 to connect to the XLR Line (not Mic) input on your monitor.

The difference is that the 14/" output will sum the signal to mono while the XLR output will not. But you can use the HD500 Mixer (per preset) to force the mono signal from the XLR output if you wish.

The Line and Mic inputs on your monitor are not the same. They expect different signal levels as inputs.

• Upvote 1

You can either use XLR to mic input (as HD XLR out is at mic level) or 1/4"/XLR to line in (as HD 1/4" out is at line level).

If it's a longer cable run, you're probably better off with the XLR, as it's balanced, but if you've got both cables handy, it'd be worth trying both and seeing what you prefer the sound of, as the XLR will rely on the monitor's built-in pre-amp, which may or may not be to your taste.

I'm pretty sure that about covers it, but I'm sure someone will put me right if I've missed anything.

• Upvote 1

@GTLazer: Yes, you're right. The XLR output from the HD500 can go to the Mic input on the monitor. I forgot that the Line/Amp switch on the HD500 only applies to the 1/4" outputs; the XLR always sends a mic-level signal.

Thanks for the correction.

IMO the XLR is a much better connection because it's balanced.  Use the XLR if your  amp / PA / etc supports it.  If you only have one XLR input adjust your mixer settings to put both channels out one XLR since it's stereo out.  My powered speaker has two XLR inputs so I just run two cables from the L and R on the pod.  I had noise problems when my laptop was connected to the pod with USB and the laptop power supply was plugged in.  They completely vanished when I used the XLR outputs instead of the 1/4 inch.

Many thanks to all for the precious answers.

So , if i understand correct I have to predilige a "balaced" solution connecting hd500 live-out (with an adapter obviously) to monitor line input or hd500 xlr to monitor mic input.

Another question (sorry for that and for my poor english :)) i read from another post that the xlr signal is lower than unbalanced signal. Is this noticeable or it make difference only for few decibels?

Using only a single xlr, NOT using stereo effects and panning in the mixer all in center, I think that I shouldn't loose anything regarding the patch sound. Is this correct?

Thanks to all again.

If u use only one XLR, u must place a noise gate as the last FX in the chain in order to sum up to mono, otherwise u will lose one part of the signal.
Set the noise gate @100/0 (leaves the tone "untouched").

4 further reading check out this one:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2033-pod-hd-500-500x-new-routing-schematics/

ps

Alternatively, try using HD500 left XLR to line input AND HD500 right XLR to  to mic input, as GTLazer suggested. In this case u get full signal L+R, so u do not need the abv stated noise gate.