Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50HD Output Suddenly Went Silent, Any Ideas Why? And More...

Brazzy

I've been busy with other things and after about a month since it was delivered I decided to finally fire up the DT 50 and play Mom some music for Mothers day. So went through the process of hooking it up, warming it up and not one peep out of it. I must admit I'm growing weary of the DT disappointment as I know I'm not doing anything to 'cause the failure. Even after a month of sitting it should've worked at least for 15 minutes, lol.

So I went and grabbed my Spider Jam and quickly changed the mood. I must admit the 2008' SJ has been a very reliable amp for me, glad I have a back up. :)

I looked at the power tubes and there was no light and they're cold so it seems like the same problem as the last time. Time to contact Line 6.

I've been busy with other things and after about a month since it was delivered I decided to finally fire up the DT 50 and play Mom some music for Mothers day. So went through the process of hooking it up, warming it up and not one peep out of it. I must admit I'm growing weary of the DT disappointment as I know I'm not doing anything to 'cause the failure. Even after a month of sitting it should've worked at least for 15 minutes, lol.

So I went and grabbed my Spider Jam and quickly changed the mood. I must admit the 2008' SJ has been a very reliable amp for me, glad I have a back up. :)

I looked at the power tubes and there was no light and they're cold so it seems like the same problem as the last time. Time to contact Line 6.

OMG!!!

So I'm pretty sure I've got DT50 lemon here. But the good news is that the Line 6 staff is in my opinion top notch. They're doing their best to help me and are dealing with me as fairly as possible which is what I would do in their position.

Another thing, just because I'm disappointed about my DT50 doesn't mean I'm disappointed with Line 6. I've got so many of their products from 2008 that are still working great and use them all often enough to know they're reliable and sound great.

I'm ending this post in a positive note, Kudos to Line 6!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it made it back earlier than the expected delivery date. UPS expected delivery date was Mon. Jun 1st and it showed up Fri. May 29th. Now all I've got to do is try it out.

Edited by Brazzy

I just got the chance to unpack the the amp and set it up. This time I fired it up looking at the power tubes. Low and Behold ~ let there be light, the power tubes lit up. This made me happy so I let warm up for a minute, plugged my guitar into the front "high input", left the drive, tone stack, pres, reverb and volume alone, they were all at 12 o'clock, turned the master to around 10 o'clock and put the standby to the on position and heard that low level idle "ssshhhh" I was getting happier, lol. Then I turned the volume up on my strat and got even happier :). Yes, "iiiiiiiIt's Aliiiiiiive!". I had time enough to play for a half hour so I took my time and tried topo I, II, and III. These 3 topo's sounded great, even had a very low idle "ssshhh". I still have to take a day try topo IV and get the HD500 hooked up to it etc. Played for about 30 min.

Thanks Line 6 Team in Calabasis, CA! :) I know this amp has been a thorn in your side.

Edited by Brazzy

I'm enjoying my DT50HD & HD500 now. I just got done, for the first time, rigging it up with the "4 Cable Method". I only had about 45 min. to actually play but I sure do like it very much. The ability to choose between using the DT's preamp or power amp sections is great, I love the sound this set up delivers. I still like just plugging the guitar into the front of it,  soooo simple and sounds great. Every time I work with the HD500 I get better and it becomes easier.

I tried a few of the preamp models in the Pod running the output settings in "Combo Power Amp", the 1/4 Line Out set to "Line", the FX Loop to "Line", Pod Master set to 12 o'clock, the Pod Mixer set to +3db on each channel, the DT's Master to 12 o'clock in Half Power Mode 25W, DT's FX Loop Level set to just a crack from 0, and for the Preamp I used Topo I, the channel tone stack was set at Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Pres, Volume = Straight up and Reverb = Off. Also it was running in A/B & Pentode Modes.

My test patch Blk Fce Dbl Vb Pre 4CM HD500 DT50

Of Course, any of the volume settings can be adjusted differently but what I used kept the overall sound low enough not to annoy anyone in the vicinity, lol.

I thank the forum members that have posted their settings here and there in various threads for helping me to get a good idea of where I stand so I don't make unwanted LOUD noises, lol THANK YOU!!! :) I've got "Thank Line 6" again for all the help they've been giving me with this Amp.

Also, this video was excellent for learning this set up.

4CM.PNG?psid=1

Edited by Brazzy

So what was the problem with it?

That's a very good question. The answer is I have no Idea. I called 'em to let them know it worked, even though I needed to spend more time with it to see what gives as far as reliability goes and gave a big thank you. I never really get enough info to be satisfied, I guess 'cause I'm a mechanic, etc,etc, blah blah. I would like to know and may contact them soon but for now I want to use the stuff and put it to the test. I didn't even look at the serial numbers (internally) to see if they swapped out chassis or not, lol. For now I've got test every possible combination so I know it all works good.

I'll let ya know when and if I find out what actually went on.

I've got very low idle noise and when using the FX Loop I had no unwanted noise either, it sounds great to me and my listeners. I've heard stories about FX Loop noise, I'm not getting any and I know I said I used a very low FX Loop Level (on the back of the DT) but I did crank it up and I had no idle noise, it was nice and quiet until I hit the strings. I'll use it again tomorrow.

That's a very good question. The answer is I have no Idea. I called 'em to let them know it worked, even though I needed to spend more time with it to see what gives as far as reliability goes and gave a big thank you. I never really get enough info to be satisfied, I guess 'cause I'm a mechanic, etc,etc, blah blah. I would like to know and may contact them soon but for now I want to use the stuff and put it to the test. I didn't even look at the serial numbers (internally) to see if they swapped out chassis or not, lol. For now I've got test every possible combination so I know it all works good.

I'll let ya know when and if I find out what actually went on.

I've got very low idle noise and when using the FX Loop I had no unwanted noise either, it sounds great to me and my listeners. I've heard stories about FX Loop noise, I'm not getting any and I know I said I used a very low FX Loop Level (on the back of the DT) but I did crank it up and I had no idle noise, it was nice and quiet until I hit the strings. I'll use it again tomorrow.

So is the 4CM less noisey at low volumes than the L6 link?  I don't suppose it's possible to hook it up both ways and switch between them...? 

• Upvote 1

So is the 4CM less noisey at low volumes than the L6 link?  I don't suppose it's possible to hook it up both ways and switch between them...? 

Hey "M", I haven't tried the L6 Link yet since it came back. When I did use it (at the beginning) I was getting a little noise but now that I've got more experience I think the noise was my amp having a problem not the connection or HD500.

The last one is a good question. I'm not sure I would've thought about. There may be a way to switch between 4CM and L6 Link but it may not be feasible or worth doing since I think you going to need a switch for the L6 Link.and if one was obtained how would the HD500/DT react? I'm into thoughts on this kinda thing, sometimes thoughts like you just had here spark new innovation.

I'm a very experimental person and have tried many things when making things/repairs over the years, with a fare share of failures too but the failures is the teacher of innovation. Thinking things through is the best way to go and that comes with research/education, experience and age.

I'll let you know if I have idle noise associated with my L6 Link when I try it. I've got to admit I'm liking what I'm hearing with the 4CM and I should be able to run some stomp boxes in between without imposing too much noise. Also, I noticed when I change preamp models such as Black Face Dbl, Hiwatt, and Gibson, when using that patch I made, they sound pretty darn good and I didn't have to touch the settings in the model at all.

I played again with the DT50/HD500 4CM in LVM and love the control I have with it. I played yesterday for about 40 min. and today for about 1 1/4 hours.

Just 'cause I thought of it ran the infrared thermometer around the back of the chassis and the front to see what range I had at an ambient temp of 76 F and 55% humidity, lol. Pointing the thermometer at the power tube section I got a high of 156 F and it cooled quickly to 136 F. Everywhere else around the chassis along the metal face front and back was 100 F. The transformer areas where 100 F. I don't have a fan blowing on it since it's relatively cool in here. This test was done about 3 minutes after I powered the amp down.

mtreehugger, on 07 Feb 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:snapback.png

That would be awesome, Brazzy!  I'm going to try to wedge an oven thermometer to it somehow, though I am not sure it'll work.  I did fire up the old Dual Showman Reverb, and it did get hot, but not as hot.  Plus it has maybe 20 tubes in it as opposed to the DT50's four.

I measured the temp of my DT50 Head by just holding a Cat No 22-171 Radio Shack Waterproof Pocket IR Thermometer as close to the screen in three spots. In the middle were the tubes are measured approx. 170 degrees F, to the left and right were around 90 degrees F. I would estimate the glass is around 200 degrees. Remember, this is an estimate and the testing was done indoors in a low humidity room at approx 78 degrees F.

I've used the Global EQ to cut the lows a little and accent the mids and highs a bit. I like Global EQ and it sure works good. I'm not using an EQ in the chain when using the DT50 live but when I record with the computer using HD500 USB I usually use and EQ in the chain for high gain patches.

Seems like all models even the full amp models and effects sound better and respond to tweaking better using the 4CM or it's just me. So far I'm loving the 4CM in both 25w mode and 50w mode. I've got to try micing the cab on this one day when it's quiet in here and try the Direct Cab Simulated Out too.

A total of about 3 hours of good playing time so far.

4 cable method. Does it really work?

Added another 3 hours of playing total now is 6 hrs, in 45 min. sessions.

Used the DT50HD for another 1 hrs. 30 min. 6/24/2015 with DT Edit

Updated total = 8 hrs. 15 min.

Amp B" doesn't seem to work with my HD500

Add another 45 min. = Total 9 hrs.

Add another 1 hr.      = Total 10 hrs.

Damage to my rig using this set up?

Edited by Brazzy

• 3 months later...

Problem:
While playing recently, my DT-25 suddenly dropped volume significantly and had a slight burning smell.  I figured it was a tube(s) going out, so I bought some new ones and replaced them, but when I went to bias them, they were super low!  Instead of the 25 (+/-3), they were around 7-8.  I turned the bias, but then the weirdest thing happened - any turn up would start an unstoppable climb to 40-50, then it would suddenly kick down to 14 or less.  It would stay that way until I turned the bias up again, and then the same thing every time.

Any idea what's going on?  How do I fix this?

Problem:

While playing recently, my DT-25 suddenly dropped volume significantly and had a slight burning smell.  I figured it was a tube(s) going out, so I bought some new ones and replaced them, but when I went to bias them, they were super low!  Instead of the 25 (+/-3), they were around 7-8.  I turned the bias, but then the weirdest thing happened - any turn up would start an unstoppable climb to 40-50, then it would suddenly kick down to 14 or less.  It would stay that way until I turned the bias up again, and then the same thing every time.

Hey jamesnlcc1, That is very strange thing going on with your DT25 and I hope you can get fixed. I don't have an answer for you or any idea where to tell you to look. Since you smelled something burn it's safe to say a component such as a resistor has burned, could be something else though.

You might want to seek professional help with this issue. If you decide to probe around inside that amp always be careful of the potential to get electrocuted. Please be safe and ask a lot of questions before touching the components inside.

Have you made a thread on this subject? If not you should do that so others may find what you post easier. Someone who has more knowledge on it might pop in with some good info.

Also, did you buy this amp new? If so Line 6 may still help you with it. If so you should call them and/or do a support ticket. I've had good experiences with the busy guys at Line 6, I think they're good people by experience.

If you think you can safely get the chassis out you should take some high definition photos of different parts of the circuitry and post them in a thread or here so others and I can look for possible burnt components or areas that may need attention but that may not be the say all end all of your problem.

Hopefully this helps some, it's a hard thing when ones amp breaks down. Remember, the more info you can provide the better but you may need a good tech and I would recommend the people specialized in the Line 6 DT series amps since not every tech will have sufficient knowledge, in my experience.

• Upvote 1

Problem:

Turns out his replacement tubes were JJs.  There's another thread with more info in it (which is how I know this), and in that thread Psarkissian informs that we must use only EH tubes in our DTs.  The initial problem was not diagnosed, however, just the weirdness that happened when he put in the JJs...

• Upvote 1

Turns out his replacement tubes were JJs.  There's another thread with more info in it (which is how I know this), and in that thread Psarkissian informs that we must use only EH tubes in our DTs.  The initial problem was not diagnosed, however, just the weirdness that happened when he put in the JJs...

Hey mtreehugger, Hope things are rock'in for ya. I saw that in he was using JJ's in that thread you spoke of, thanks. I'm one that likes to heed the recommendation of the Line 6 Staff and I'll be using EH tubes that are supposed to go in my amp. They have good reason to tell me to use a particular tube.

Although others have used JJ's in the pre and power amp sections of their DT's with success doesn't mean it will work for me, lol. I'm not an amp tech but I think I would like to learn how to be in the future. I'm sure I could handle building one of those all tube amp kits too, maybe one day, lol. In the meantime I'll heed the recommendations of the people who made the amp, like a good boy. :)

BTW, my DT50HD still sounds great. I don't use the L6 Link instead I go into the front with the guitar and change setting via HD500 MIDI or iPad MIDI. Works great. Also, I plug my Beat Buddy into the amps effects return at the same time and play with the drums. If I don't use the Beat Buddy I'll the take the L 1/4" analog out from my KB37 and run that into the effect return and control drums and keys with the computer. It's fun for me right now, lol.