Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question: Change preset of Meris Mercury 7 with MIDI via footswitch?

Traemandir

Hi All,

Sorry for what may be a simple question, but my MIDI knowledge is really low and hoping someone can break down what my options would be :-) ...

I am predominantly a worship guitarist, and I'm thinking of getting a Meris Mercury7 to add to my board. I currently have a couple cheaper reverb pedals, but want to step up to something nicer, and thinking the Mercury7 will be more fun/unique than the default Strymon BigSky route.  I know that the Mercury7 has really deep MIDI controls and all parameters can be changed via MIDI messages, but my question is, can I switch between two presents with a footswitch on my HX Stomp?  Scenario would be something like:

- Preset #1 on the Mercury7 would be my default reverb sound, UltraPlate mode with a medium decay, I would want to enable this profile when a certain footswitch on my HX Stomp is OFF.

- Preset #2 on the Mercury7 would be my ambient/swell sound, Cathedra mode with a long decay, I would want to enable this preset when a certain footswitch on my HX Stomp is ON.

Does that make sense? I think this would work if the HX Stomp can assign different messages to a footswitch for ON and OFF? If this is not possible, would there be a different/better way of doing this? (A couple footswitches dedicated to "preset up" and "preset down" for the Mercury7?  Or something else?)

Alternatively I could just keep my MXR M300 (which I do like) as my default reverb sound, and use the Mercury7 for the ambient and swells. But I appreciate any insight or recommendations on this...

Thank you!

If you're just toggling between two CC values (i.e. CC#14 0/127 for bypass on/off) or want to control a parameter with an expression pedal from the Stomp Command Center is your friend. That's easy.

To toggle between Mercury7 presets within a HX Stomp preset you need snapshots:

As per V3.15 Command Center works per snapshot. This means you can set up a footswitch to switch between snapshots in Stomp Mode. In those snapshots you can send up to 6 Instant Commands which you can program to be MIDI PC or CC messages.

You can also deactivate blocks from reacting to snapshot changes which is what you might want to do so that only PC messages are sent and nothing else happens.

Or you use snapshots as "presets in a preset": i.e. engage a tube screamer, a chorus and change the Mercury7 program at the same time.

On a side note let's hope for a MIDI PC toggle option in Command Center as an update to make this stuff easier.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Schmalle said:

If you're just toggling between two CC values (i.e. CC#14 0/127 for bypass on/off) or want to control a parameter with an expression pedal from the Stomp Command Center is your friend. That's easy.

To toggle between Mercury7 presets within a HX Stomp preset you need snapshots:

As per V3.15 Command Center works per snapshot. This means you can set up a footswitch to switch between snapshots in Footswitch Mode. In those snapshots you can send up to 6 Instant Commands which you can program to be MIDI PC or CC messages.

You can also deactivate blocks from reacting to snapshot changes which is what you might want to do so that only PC messages are sent and nothing else happens.

Or you use snapshots as "presets in a preset": i.e. engage a tube screamer, a chorus and change the Mercury7 program at the same time.

On a side note let's hope for a MIDI PC toggle option in Command Center as an update to make this stuff easier.

Thank you for your response!! Just so I understand, is snapshot mode required for just toggling between two CC values like you described? I am familiar with snapshots, but in general pedal board mode fits my use case better.  

On 10/10/2023 at 3:17 PM, Traemandir said:

…. I am familiar with snapshots, but in general pedal board mode fits my use case better.  

I haven’t read the whole thread here, but this may be relevant. In Stomp (pedal board?) mode you can assign a footswitch to activate a specific Snapshot.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:17 PM, Traemandir said:

Thank you for your response!! Just so I understand, is snapshot mode required for just toggling between two CC values like you described? I am familiar with snapshots, but in general pedal board mode fits my use case better.  

No, there is a specific MIDI CC toggle option in Command Center - no snapshots required. But there is no equivalent for MIDI PC toggle - hence the snapshot 'walk around'.

You can program a footswitch to switch between snapshots in Stomp Mode - no Snapshot Mode required.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:26 PM, silverhead said:

I haven’t read the whole thread here, but this may be relevant. In Stomp (pedal board?) mode you can assign a footswitch to activate a specific Snapshot.

And toggle between snapshots by setting up i.e snapshot 1 to point to snapshot 2 and snapshot 2 to point to snapshot 1.

Ooooooh OK I gotcha! The piece of the puzzle I was missing was that I didn't know I could bind snapshots to footswitches when using stomp mode, I thought it would be either/or. So I'd be setting up snapshots to send MIDI preset commands to the Mercury7, and those snapshots would also need to be configured for the foot switch button to toggle back to the other snapshot?

Thank you for the information :-) I definitely feel better about making the purchase, and know I'll be able to integrate it in the way I'd like to via MIDI.