Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Real Answers Before A Jtv69 Purchase!

Hi Guyz, I've been researching the purchase of a jtv69 being that I'm going to be expanding not only in the studio but also live..Let me start by saying that I OWN A POD HD500X. which is one of the reasons that I'm considering the guitar purchase but I have questions..And I know that a lot is subject to personal preference but sometimes there are legit problems with theses set ups.I do have the money to buy the guitar but it doesn't mean that I just want spend it unnecessarily..beeing that I could also purchase a New Strat..

1. Usa vs Korean.. What's the real difference..fell,playability,Price range. I see some (new) for $899 and some for $1299.

2. Tuning stability.. I play a lot of chord inversions.

3.live and recording use . Does the guitar work better in live or studio and can it be used for both.

4.upgrade issues with different versions v1.9 and v2.0.. BIG DISCUSSION ON THIS..

5. Durability..

6.How is the guitar as a STAND ALONE INSTRUMENT?? I own an analogue system . will the guitar interact with it like a NORMAL Guitar??

7.Functionality with IOS. Does it work well.

8. Do i have to buy any other cables or attachments for the use with the Pod Hd.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Usa vs Korean.. What's the real difference..fell,playability,Price range. I see some (new) for $899 and some for $1299.

I got one new from Sweetwater for $899.00. I just couldn't pass it up being that I paid $1,500 for the first generation Variax 700Trem about 7 or 8 years ago. Can't comment on the $1,200 ones but i think they are SSS pick-ups where mine is SSH.

Tuning swtabilty is great. I use Nutsause on the nut and bridge saddles and it never goes out of tune even with dive bomber whammy's.

3.live and recording use . Does the guitar work better in live or studio and can it be used for both.

Yes it works very well for both. I have attached a pic of me using live in at a recent concert.

4.upgrade issues with different versions v1.9 and v2.0.. BIG DISCUSSION ON THIS..

No problem there. Some people say that the 2.0 doesn't sound as good as 1.9 but i don't find that at all.

5. Durability..

It seems to be a pretty well built guitar. I have been using it for about 3 months constantly and I love it.

6.How is the guitar as a STAND ALONE INSTRUMENT?? I own an analogue system . will the guitar interact with it like a NORMAL Guitar??

Actually as a stand alone guitar it is very good. The pickups on mine sound amazing through all of my rigs. I did have to do some work on the neck & bridge though. The bridge needed adjustment and the frets needed some work. I mean going from a 3K PRS to this guitar you will definitely "Feel" the difference in the edge of the frets so I had to fix that. I did it myself. Now it feels right.

I can't comment on this. Not sure what IOS is. If it has something to do with iphone or Mac I don't have either. I'm on adriod and I use the Windows platform.

8. Do i have to buy any other cables or attachments for the use with the Pod Hd.
THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!

For the POD HD?? no because all you need is a stanfard guitar cable. the POD HD does not have a VDI connection. The POH HD500x however does have a VDI connection so you will need that VDI cable. Honeslty though if you want to go wireles like I do you are better off just using the standard guitar cable. The batteries last really long and you can get a spare (Authentic Line6 Lithium ION) from Amazon for 49$. You can get them from Line6 too. The only advantage of using the VDI cable is that you can make the POD change your guitar models and tunings and it can be saved within a patch.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

[

Actually as a stand alone guitar it is very good. The pickups on mine sound amazing through all of my rigs. I did have to do some work on the neck & bridge though. The bridge needed adjustment and the frets needed some work. I mean going from a 3K PRS to this guitar you will definitely "Feel" the difference in the edge of the frets so I had to fix that. I did it myself. Now it feels right.

What kind of fret and bridge work.. i'm also coming out of a 3k PRS that provided me with some nice fat crunchy sounds that i use for Praise and Worship is this capable of these tones.. Working my way towards a dream rig so wondering if it's worth it.. The guitar would be my second piece.. Thanks Glenn..

1. gangsterusa answer you correctly.

2.Sperzel style tuners... Awesome from factory.

3.You can use on both.

4.Standard issue will be the stratocaster model that is buggy. Line6 acknowledge that, and gave a work arround as a solution.

5.Durability. As an instrument normal durability. As software, your guitar if something go wrong , can be bricked by changing from v.1.9 to 2.0 Or to have problems on version 2.0 in general. It is electronic, that is the reason of the normal pick ups.

6.It interacts as a normal guitar. It is a normal guitar with extras.

7.No idea.

8. No, everything included.

9. Not mentioned, but the reliability of the instrument is doubtful. Some run with fret issues, other with software issues, other with knob issues, other with selector issues...

For a 1000 euro instrument it shouldn't have those things.

Hope you are lucky and will have less issues than me, or even better no issues at all.

What kind of fret and bridge work.. i'm also coming out of a 3k PRS that provided me with some nice fat crunchy sounds that i use for Praise and Worship is this capable of these tones.. Working my way towards a dream rig so wondering if it's worth it.. The guitar would be my second piece.. Thanks Glenn..

Well I had to dress the edge of the frets. No biggie. My old Variax 700Trem came with a fabulous fret dressing. This one, not so much As far as the bridge, it just wasn't at an even angle with the guitar so I adjusted it to where it is 1/8in above the body and perfectly in line with it. Now as far as the tones I have had to edit my own Strat and Les Paul and Acoustic 6 & 12 models to better match the real thing. I use all of these in my symphony concerts. Once I figured out all the right settings it sounds Better than my best strat and just as good as any of my Pauls. I used to have to bring 5 guitars to a gig, all with different tunings and sounds. Now I only bring my JTV-69 and a back-up LOL. I am seriously considering buying another JTV for a backup.

the software issue isn't just tone preference. It makes noise when changing presets on podHD500. For example while you are playing a distortion part with lester model, if you have to change to a clean preset maybe with a telecaster model, it makes a loud popping sound while changing. It is not possible to use it live by changing presets via pod hd500...

---Never tried a US version, but I'm sure it'll feel better if "just" for it's finish/setup right out of the box.

---I have my trem locked...I hate trems...so I can't really comment on that...people seem to have different opinions on that, but as some say it's just fine, I guess it's got (some) to do with setup or slight mods...

---I've used mine successfully for both, but it's versatility really shines live!

---Never had any issues with firmware updates or downgrades, and I've went back and forth quite some times! It seems the biggest grippe people have with 2.0 is the strat sound, but some say they've cured it thru workbench! I haven't tried it, cause I feel the mags sound the closest to a strat, so I just use them when I need a strat, and I'm happy happy happy!

5. Durability..

---Never had an issue in 3 years, nor felt that something was going bad or about to! This is from a combined experience of a 2 year old 59 and a 1 year old 69!

---Brilliant! I think of it as my "special" strat, cause it sounds so close, but the part which doesn't actually makes me happy it doesn't!

---iOS? Don't you mean OSX/Mac? I only use mac and it's been flawless so far!

---A guitar cable works fine, but if working with a POD HD or something else with VDI, you can change guitar and tunnings from the POD on a preset basis, plus, you can play without a battery!

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!

the software issue isn't just tone preference. It makes noise when changing presets on podHD500. For example while you are playing a distortion part with lester model, if you have to change to a clean preset maybe with a telecaster model, it makes a loud popping sound while changing. It is not possible to use it live by changing presets via pod hd500...

I haven't noticed this noise, although it would be rare that I actually change presets and guitar models during the middle of a song. But I've used my JTV69 with updated firmware and the HD500 live and at practice ever since doing the update, and never had any issue.

.... it makes a loud popping sound while changing. It is not possible to use it live by changing presets via pod hd500...

I remember testing this some time ago. If I recall correctly there is a popping noise that is audible, and the inevitable small audio gap is noticeable, when you change presets while actively strumming the guitar. However, both become inaudible if you adjust your playing a tiny bit to allow the strings to be muted while you change presets. In other words, I believe you can change presets mid-song effectively if you allow a slight pause in the action.

But my memory may fail me.... give it a try.

you can get that sort of gap with any guitar just changing tones on the pod...

the more things you change, the more drastic.. the more audible.

never bothered me.. i mean who, in real life (existing outside of this great technology), changes entire rigs mid song?

i mean maybe an acoustic intro to some electric playing... but that can probably be managed well enough if i had the need.

I remember testing this some time ago. If I recall correctly there is a popping noise that is audible, and the inevitable small audio gap is noticeable, when you change presets while actively strumming the guitar. However, both become inaudible if you adjust your playing a tiny bit to allow the strings to be muted while you change presets. In other words, I believe you can change presets mid-song effectively if you allow a slight pause in the action.

But my memory may fail me.... give it a try.

• Upvote 1

It's a problem for me, i have hard changes in songs that i have to change distortion to clean immediately, so i can't mute the guitar for a second..

With this technology it is impressive to play distortion tones of one guitar model and good fender clean tones in another model on the same device but i think it's ridiculous trying to defend the small issues by trying not to seeing them.

The technology and the capability of this brand is amazing and they can easily fix this i think. But if we don't say or talk about the issues or we say that it isn't a problem, the software won't be improved...

And i noticed another thing on my JTV-89F..The magnetic pickups are really gainy and hot but when i activate the system and choose the JTV-89' s own modeling, it drops the gain a little, not too much but slightly disturbing my ears and my playability..The lester model and it's own model has less gain on modeling. Maybe gibson guitars have lower output pickups, i don't know about their pickups but i think the jtv-89' s own modeling should have more gain and hot output so we will be able to use the same preset settings on the model and the original magnetic pickups..So, pod series have real hi-gain amp models in them and i think there should be real hi-gain guitar model in the device too..

• Upvote 1

With this technology it is impressive to play distortion tones of one guitar model and good fender clean tones in another model on the same device but i think it's ridiculous trying to defend the small issues by trying not to seeing them. TRUE

The technology and the capability of this brand is amazing and they can easily fix this i think. But if we don't say or talk about the issues or we say that it isn't a problem, the software won't be improved...TRUE

And i noticed another thing on my JTV-89F..The magnetic pickups are really gainy and hot but when i activate the system and choose the JTV-89' s own modeling, it drops the gain a little, not too much but slightly disturbing my ears and my playability..The lester model and it's own model has less gain on modeling. Maybe gibson guitars have lower output pickups, i don't know about their pickups but i think the jtv-89' s own modeling should have more gain and hot output so we will be able to use the same preset settings on the model and the original magnetic pickups..So, pod series have real hi-gain amp models in them and i think there should be real hi-gain guitar model in the device too..

Try to adjust the volume through the workbench, hotter for the 89 and reduce the volume of the les paul.

the point is not the output volume level, it's about the gain amount..The 89's modeling has low gainy sound than the original pickups..It supposed to be screaming hot and should has more gain as it's own magnetics..

as long as you stay within the same tone it's easy enough... program 1 FS to take down your compressers/eq's/stomps etc... = clean with no gap.

It's a problem for me, i have hard changes in songs that i have to change distortion to clean immediately, so i can't mute the guitar for a second..

With this technology it is impressive to play distortion tones of one guitar model and good fender clean tones in another model on the same device but i think it's ridiculous trying to defend the small issues by trying not to seeing them.

The technology and the capability of this brand is amazing and they can easily fix this i think. But if we don't say or talk about the issues or we say that it isn't a problem, the software won't be improved...

i will try to explain again.. Think about 2 individual patches that has different guitar modelings..One is a high-gain amp with lester model, and the other is clean amp tone with spank model..When you change the preset, amp models and the guitar models will be changed..How can you do that by FS switch? As long as you stay in the same preset you can't change the amp for clean tone or you can't immediately change the guitar modeling. It's possible now with pod hd500 and does it fast enough for me but the noise makes everything horrible..

as long as you stay within the same tone it's easy enough... program 1 FS to take down your compressers/eq's/stomps etc... = clean with no gap.

.. Think about 2 individual patches that has different guitar modelings..One is a high-gain amp with lester model, and the other is clean amp tone with spank model..When you change the preset, amp models and the guitar models will be changed..How can you do that by FS switch? .....

You can use a dual-path/amp preset to control the amp part. Assign the same FS to control the amp on/off, and save the preset with one amp on and the other off. You would need to change the JTV model manually, but you can use Workbench to configure your JTV so that this involves no more than flipping the pickup selector switch (no need to use the Model Select knob). Surely there's no complaint about having to stomp a footswitch and change the pickup selector at the same time mid-song. Every guitarist does that with analog equipment.
  • Upvote 1

the answer is you can't that's what i was telling you... try a different way to get similar results....

don't get hung up on "how"... get hung up on finding a way to make it work.

if you're absolutely not flexible enough to bother.. then you will absolutely be unhappy with this setup period.

you can even change amps within a preset... 

just save it with one amp on and one amp off and set a single FS to turn it off/on.

use workbench to re-arrange the guitars on your 3way/5way and manually switch them, may also be worth pursuing if you absolutely feel the need to change guitars mid song.

i will try to explain again.. Think about 2 individual patches that has different guitar modelings..One is a high-gain amp with lester model, and the other is clean amp tone with spank model..When you change the preset, amp models and the guitar models will be changed..How can you do that by FS switch? As long as you stay in the same preset you can't change the amp for clean tone or you can't immediately change the guitar modeling. It's possible now with pod hd500 and does it fast enough for me but the noise makes everything horrible..

• Upvote 1

And Line 6 shouldn't say that pod hd500 can change the guitar models then if i will try to find a noiseless way to change em up and do all the work manually..Accept that it is a problem, i don't hung up on how i can find a way, i said that the software has an issue and they should be aware of it, that's all..The point is if you don't use this feature, you won't but if line 6 said that you will be able to change presets and models with pod hd500, i would expect to do it correctly.

By the way, don't get me wrong, i am not unhappy, only saying the negatives of the software and guitar models (there is no hi-gain model)...I think the JTV guitars are really amazing but some features need to be corrected.

• Upvote 1

there is a high gain model!

you can download it here: http://line6.com/getrelease?rid=5634

and use workbench to put it in your variax.

By the way, don't get me wrong, i am not unhappy, only saying the negatives of the software and guitar models (there is no hi-gain model)...I think the JTV guitars are really amazing but some features need to be corrected.

I know, i'm talking about the hi-gain model isn't really hi-gain, i explained it before you can see on the top...And i am not talking about output volume, it's about the gain amount of the guitar produces..

The popping noise was introduced with JTV firmware v2.0.  Roll the firmware on your JTV back to v1.9 and you will find that you can change presets on your HD500 without the annoying pop.  That is what I am currently doing.    

This has been reported by a number of people now and I have an open ticket with Line 6 support but they want me to upload an audio to demonstrate the noise. BUT. problem is that I have rolled back to fix the issue and don't want to roll forward just to recreate the problem for the purposes of an audio to prove that there is a problem to Line6 especially as it has been reported by a number of users on the forum.   However, if you have some spare minutes and can upload an audio demonstrating the popping noise on patch change then we can give that to Line 6 and hope they will work on fixing it for us - we will probably also have to add it to Ideascale and vote for it.

The popping noise was introduced with JTV firmware v2.0.  Roll the firmware on your JTV back to v1.9 and you will find that you can change presets on your HD500 without the annoying pop.  That is what I am currently doing.    

This has been reported by a number of people now and I have an open ticket with Line 6 support but they want me to upload an audio to demonstrate the noise. BUT. problem is that I have rolled back to fix the issue and don't want to roll forward just to recreate the problem for the purposes of an audio to prove that there is a problem to Line6 especially as it has been reported by a number of users on the forum.   However, if you have some spare minutes and can upload an audio demonstrating the popping noise on patch change then we can give that to Line 6 and hope they will work on fixing it for us - we will probably also have to add it to Ideascale and vote for it.

Just raised this on Ideascale - so please vote for this to be fixed. Thanks.

Here is the link: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Please-fix-popping-noise-changing-JTV-model-from-HD500/605833-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 1

However, if you have some spare minutes and can upload an audio demonstrating the popping noise on patch change then we can give that to Line 6 and hope they will work on fixing it for us.

Sure i will post it as soon as possible..

I have uploaded a small sample of the problem..It is on the link before but i don't know hot to send it to you..

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Variax-Pod%20Problem.mp3?_subject_uid=284387637&w=AAAGzN2xHaz4G6dWSau431PQVpLstKZGR6cv_id4lIyYSQ

Thank you.  Unfortunately I get an ERROR 403 when I try to use the link. I will message you my email address so you can forward it to me.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I know, i'm talking about the hi-gain model isn't really hi-gain, i explained it before you can see on the top...And i am not talking about output volume, it's about the gain amount of the guitar produces..

Gain is sometimes incorrectly used the same as output volume in audio terminology. There is really no such thing as a high gain pickup - that would just be a high output pickup. Gain is added output introduced by a circuit, for example a gain pedal, which increases output from a guitar. Perhaps you could describe what you are asking about so we can understand the exact problem.

I think it is clear on my message that you quoted...I use heavy metal tones, the jtv-89f magnetic pickups do the job very well, but the modeling isn't successful, the guitar's own modeling doesn't sound like itself..Modeling should produce more gain/high-output/distortion(whatever you like to say) as it's magnetic pickups.

Modeling should produce more gain/high-output/distortion(whatever you like to say) as it's magnetic pickups.

Not sure why you are assuming this to be the case... each model is supposed to sound like the guitar its emulating. You can expect the relative outputs to vary accordingly. I find that most of my 'regular' guitars seem to spit out a hotter signal than most of the JTV models. I usually end up turning down the gain when switching to a traditional guitar...I even have separate patches for them. Just seems to be the way it is.

he was referring to the pickups on the 89, sounding different, than the modeled pickups on the 89 of the 89

if that makes sense.

Not sure why you are assuming this to be the case... each model is supposed to sound like the guitar its emulating. You can expect the relative outputs to vary accordingly. I find that most of my 'regular' guitars seem to spit out a hotter signal than most of the JTV models. I usually end up turning down the gain when switching to a traditional guitar...I even have separate patches for them. Just seems to be the way it is.

he was referring to the pickups on the 89, sounding different, than the modeled pickups on the 89 of the 89

if that makes sense.

OK...maybe that is what he meant, but then the gripe makes even less sense. Why would one assume that any model would automatically kick out a hotter signal than a mag pickup, especially if the model in question is supposed to be simulating the real mags that are sitting inches away in the same instrument? For one expecting flawless, 100% accuracy in the models...which is what he seems to want...then for this scenario you'd expect the models' output to be roughly the same as the mags in that case, no? Yet he seems to think the models should automatically be hotter... still don't know why anyone would expect that to be the case.

i think he wants hotter pickups in the 89, and models to match...

not that i agree... or have any value on that type of pickups... not my scene... and i can dial in 4000 different types of distortions elsewhere in my tone.

I think it is clear on my message that you quoted...I use heavy metal tones, the jtv-89f magnetic pickups do the job very well, but the modeling isn't successful, the guitar's own modeling doesn't sound like itself..Modeling should produce more gain/high-output/distortion(whatever you like to say) as it's magnetic pickups.

Interesting, I have a 89 not a 89F but I think the mag pickups are the same.  Here is what I think and have said.

When I am on 2.0 firmware and load the 89 bundle they sound horrible and nothing like the pickups on my 89.

Now when I am on FW version 1.90 the modeled pickup sounds closer but not exact. There is more of a crunch/bite when you play the mag pickup compared to the modeled 89 pickup but I think it's very close.  You probably know this but, in this FW version the 89 pickups are located in custom 1, switch 1-5

I think I know what you are saying.  The modeled 89 pickups sound different than the mags and would like them to sound like the mags on the 89 guitar.Crunch/bite is the explanation in words I can come up with to explain what you are talking about. But yes they are different.

I rarely use my mags anymore and I am in model mode most of the time now.  I use the 89 mags model even though they do sound different but I still like them.

Just my 2 cents...

There is more of a crunch/bite when you play the mag pickup compared to the modeled 89 pickup but I think it's very close.  You probably know this but, in this FW version the 89 pickups are located in custom 1, switch 1-5

I think I know what you are saying.  The modeled 89 pickups sound different than the mags and would like them to sound like the mags on the 89 guitar.Crunch/bite is the explanation in words I can come up with to explain what you are talking about. But yes they are different..

Totally what i am trying to explain, thank you ''FrozenOzone''..

then for this scenario you'd expect the models' output to be roughly the same as the mags in that case, no?

Yes, that's what i want, but i think you get me wrong...I don't want all the modelings to have high output....I think the modeling of jtv89 should sound like jtv89 mags..I was talking about only the JTV89 model that line6 introduced as a hi-gain guitar modeling...

Do you think they are same? I don't think so, i think the jtv89 modeling is weak as compared to it's original mags.

Are we ok now? ;)

Hi all, I have a JTV69 (korean) and i find that the guitar models and subsequent  tones to be very brite in nature, They always sound too thin and twangy without warm body tones. My amps treble and mids are low as is the presence.Could it be the pot settings resistance?

Help :-)