Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Using Tube Preamp In Pod Hd Pro Fx Loop?

NinoScholz

Just curious if anyone is successfully using a preamp in their pod's fx loop. I know exactly how to do it, but i'm worried about tone coloration making it not worth it. I tried it with an ADA MP-1 in the HD pro's loop, and i found that in that configuration the pod models still sounded better than the ADA pre in the FX loop.

I do want to stick with the preamp being in the pod's loop so i can continue to use the pod and shortboard as the "brains" of my rig. It's very convenient to punch in the FX loop block into a patch in place of a model. 

So now i've got my eye on the Triaxis, wondering if it will sound as good as it should in the Pod's FX loop, or will the D/A conversion kill any real benefit using a tube pre vs the pod's models. I've got the models sounding great and play live with them regularly - i use a tube power amp and guitar cab - but my obsession wants more tone options. 

So now i've got my eye on the Triaxis, wondering if it will sound as good as it should in the Pod's FX loop

It does! but without amp or preamp models from the HD itself, so, no cabs either.

That setup uses the TriAxis as preamp and the HD as both pre-preamp and post-preamp FX engine.

Then the signal goes to a stereo power amp and stereo cab. That's how I do it anyway.

I also tried to make it work using clean amp and preamp models from the HD, so I could use the cab sims, but I didn't get anything usable.

Inerzia...thanks! Thats the type of thing i was hoping to hear. Now i can GAS after the triaxis with some confidence. And yeah, i never run cab models since im using a guitar cab, pod sounds great into v30 loaded mesa cab. Also would not run a model as you noted, would expect any decent preamp to cover that part of the chain. Thanks for your reply!

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, following this thread, I am the owner of a POD HD Pro and I'm about to get a separate preamp (triaxis or recto) as I am not very happy with the distorsion sound of the POD.

I also have all my pedals on the FX Loop controlled by the Fx's Gizmo midi controller.

I'd appreciate a bit of advice on how to connect a separate preamp to my signal chain and get a good outcome.

thanks !

Rob

Thulium69.com

---------About quality------------
A friend of mine uses a tube combo (50w) and he says that it is about 9/10

It helps very much in, like you said, creating a "brain" for the rig. I have plans of doing that too...
The only bad side is that you will lose some sort of "brightness" of the original tube timbre.

Let's imagine you clear the whole signal chain within the pod and you are using the 4-cable method.
There's only a little difference in some high frequencies, that would not be easily noticed if your ears are not in good "shape"...

In an abstract, there's not much to worry about. By my own experience i can say that at live it wont change anything (how it sounds), and things will remain great. On studio i suggest you to do the obvious: nothing between guitar and amp.
So, yes, you will just WIN by using the loop.

---------About how to do---------
There no great mysteries there.
(as long as you're going for a 4-cable)
1. Take the "send" output of the amp and plug it in the "return" of the POD
2. Connect the 1/4" output to the amp "return" and you're good to go.

If it works with analog pedals, i believe it wont be any different with multi-effects.

------------------------------------------

Fear no technology! :D

So they had a used rocktron gainiac 2 at GC today so i figured id try it out given the return policy and dirt cheap price.

Seemed to do pretty well as far as keeping the tone intact in the pods fx loop. Unfortunately the preamp itself has a cocked wah thing going that cant be dialed out.

The strange thing is at first the gainiac sounded pretty decent, but i doscovered the tube was not fully seated (its a real 12ax7 not a light bulb as some would tell you). So once i fired it back up with the tube pushed in thats when the cocked wah tone showed up. Sounded better just solid state without the tube trickery.

Anyway, its going back, but im sure a good tube pre will work well like this now.

• 9 years later...

I have a Line 6 Spider with Bogner tube amp and the chip for pre amp went out and it can't be replaced / fixed. So, my question is if I get a Line 6 HD400 and run it straight to the back of amp input {Which I believe bypasses the pre amp} will this unit replace the pre amp in the Spider amp so I can have effects and amp back? It was a killer small amp I bought for my home studio for people to use. 

On 1/27/2024 at 9:09 PM, RavenMoon69 said:

will this unit replace the pre amp in the Spider amp so I can have effects and amp back?

Your idea should work fine if you are really sure that the power amp and power amp in input of the Spider still work well and are not broken like the pre-amp

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips