Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I Make My Spider Iv Hd 150 Half Stack A Full Stack?!

Mahan84

You can connect two 8-ohm cabinets to the HD150's 2 (stereo) outputs.  I'm not sure how that would work with two Spider 4x12 cabinets - if you only plug one cable to one of these, does it default to mono operation (unfortunately, I dont' see a manual online for the Spide 4x12)?   If so, you would have your left output in one cabinet and the right in the other, not sure this would really sound ideal for any stereo-FX sounds, but if you were in a dedicated mono mode, it would be ok.

Other than for 'the look' why do you want to do this?  It won't be any louder.

How will adding 4 more speakers not make it louder?

Some guitar technician told me even if you plug in only one of the cables to the cab inputs (either left or right) all four speakers will still work. Still not sure if thats true though

You DO NOT want to use only one output of the amp!  This is in the FAQs - it will eventually cause the output circuits of the amp to burn out components.

The output of the amp is limited to 150 watts total, maximum, 75 watts per side.  If you have both outputs plugged into both inputs of the 4x12 cabinet you are delivering 75 watts per side ( each side having 2 12" speakers).  If you plug into 2 cabinets, you are delivering 75 watts per cabinet.  This will not be louder.  You could, however, put one cabinet on one side of the stage and one on the other, to spread the sound around better.

#1.) Yes you can make a full stack, but if you want to use two Spider cabinets, they would both need to be rewired for 16 ohm mono operation. This can be achieved, as the speakers in a Spider cabinet are 16 ohm, so each cabinet would need to be wired in series/parallel. In this configuration, there would be a 16 ohm load on each side of the Spider head, which is perfectly safe, but you will lose a small amount of volume.

#2.) The Spider 4x12 cabinets do not default to mono operation if only one connection is made. What you would get is sound coming from only one side (2 speakers) of the cabinet.

#3.) Trust me, using two 4x12 cabinets (twice as many speakers) will move more air. So, technically the amp will still deliver the same amount of watts, but to four extra drivers, and yes it will be louder. I invite anyone who disagrees to stand next to me in front of my two Marshall 1960 cabs running off the Spider IV HD150 and try to explain how it's not louder than only one cab connected.

;)

Other than for 'the look' why do you want to do this?  It won't be any louder.

If you plug into 2 cabinets, you are delivering 75 watts per cabinet.  This will not be louder.

Of course it will be louder running two mono cabinets off both sides of the amp than one mono cabinet off one side of the amp.

You have contradicted yourself.

You have contradicted yourself.

Sorry if you misunderstood me.

2 cabinets @ 75 watts each = 150 watts will be louder than 1 cabinet @ 75 watts

2 cabinets @ 75 watts each with both @ 8 ohms will push more air than 1 stereo cabinet with both sides @ 75 watts each @ 8 ohms and may SEEM to be louder because the sound is being pushed over a great area.

2 cabinets @ 75 watts each @ 16 ohms each may or may not push more air than 1 stereo cabinet with both sides @ 75 watts each @ 8 ohms.

It all has to do with speaker efficiency.  If they are the same exact speakers in each cabinet, then speaker efficiency does not enter the equation.

Hey if you do decide to get another line 6 412 Best buy is running a Clearance at least here in Central Fl. there are only a couple of Best buys in Central Fl. that even carry musical merchandise, anyway they have the line 6 412 straight and slant on clearance for $179.00 brand new in the box I just purchased today one brand new out of the box, (it had one of the black corner clips partially broken) and they gave it to me for $122.00what a steal Also bought 2013 Epiphone Les Paul for $399.00 I already have 2000 Black beauty Les Paul in my collection but I could not pass up this guitar it has some unbelievable features if you haven't seen it check out zzounds.com they have a short video clip on their opening page demonstrating the guitar and highlighting its features awesome it usually sells for 749.00 + anyway I guess now I'm in the market for a line 6 HD 150 head myself good luck!