Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do You Have The Same Problem With 6th String?

I think you have misunderstood what is happening with this re-routing - the E string piezo is remaining under the E string - they are simply plugging it's output wire into the board input socket for the A string - then they do the same for the A string but plug its wire into the input for the E string. So the mechanical string/piezo combo is the same - it is just going into a different input on the PCB board.

Now - as we are keeping all the components of the E string together - we would expect the plink to continue to come through loud and clear when we play - however - in this scenario the plink mysteriously "disappears" from the E string - in other words - they can play the E string and no longer hear the plink - so somehow it has been filtered out. Conversely, as we are keeping all the components of the A string together we would expect to be able to play that without any plink as before - but that is not the case - when the A string is played they can now clearly hear the same audible plink that was plaguing them on the E string. So whatever was filtering it out from the A string before is no longer working when using the different input on the PCB board.

If the source was entirely mechanical, and the electronics and software had no filtering in place, then it would not matter which input on the PCB board you move that string/piezo combination to - the plink would still be audible when you play that string. The guys that have tried this have said that the plink disappears from the low E when they do this but instead they then get a plink when they play the A string which is now routed through the input that previously was used by the low E.

As the physical situation is the same, and all that has happened is the wires have been swapped on the PCB inputs, then how can we explain how the plink now manifests when playing the A string and not the low E ? The implication is that the electronics/software are actually doing some filtering which removes the plink - why else would the E have the plink when plugged into PCB input 6 but not when plugged into input 5? And why would the A have no plink when plugged into PCB input 5 but then have a plink when plugged into input 6?

I hope that has clarified it.

Thank you for so clearly elucidating what I was trying to say...don't think I was ever going to get that point across. ;)

It does, thank you. It has sounded like the piezo was also being moved. I suppose it is possible that some filtering is being done (I have not completed discounted this, but Line 6 has so far been adamant that no filtering of this sort is being done, so I am taking them at their word), but it is also possible that there is some different circuitry connected to the 6th string than the 5th string and that the particular components chosen are themselves the source of the noise. That is what I am proposing, and maybe you think I am crazy, but I've known some buzzy capacitors in my time, so I don't think it's any crazier than some of the conspiracy theories being bandied about here.

You are correct Line6 have stated that the software is not performing any filtering on specific strings for the "plink" - so if it is not the software, then in this scenario I guess the only thing left is the electronics - and maybe the signal path through input 6 on the PCB and the electronic components on the board is the mysterious factor that on some guitars makes the "plink" unbearable.  So I don't think you are crazy but I have no expert knowledge in these areas so I have no idea if it is plausible or not.

The bottom line is that the "swapping the wires" experiment has shown that the mechanical "plink" can be "removed" or "masked" by the way the electronics process the signal. How or why it does this only Line6 knows. And the fact that they have not rolled out a software fix points to it not being an easy fix or perhaps the fix introduces other potentially worse issues?   Or that there is much more needed for a complete solution and that the electronics part highlighted by this test is just a small part of the overall problem?    Only Line6 knows. 

I have followed this thread and just like everyone else would love to know what the causes are and the reasons why they cannot be fixed and therefore why Line6 have closed down all work on the subject.  However, I am not holding my breath, and I doubt we are ever going to know officially.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update on my end. My bandmate has the exact same model I do, JTV89 (without the Floyd). Mine makes the sound, his does not. We are running the same firmware and I have tested his guitar running through my Helix, so that brings the only variables down to:

1. The strings. He is using DR Pure Blues 10s, I am using the D'addario 10s that came on the guitar. His strings are pure nickel, therefore mellower.
  2. The models. I am basically using stock models whereas he has made a lot of changes to his.
  3. The cable. He is not using the cable that came with the Variax but a longer, thicker one.
  4. Some minuscule difference in the components of the guitars.

I will have to do some further testing. Maybe he will let me borrow his guitar and swap parts back and forth :p

Interesting update on my end. My bandmate has the exact same model I do, JTV89 (without the Floyd). Mine makes the sound, his does not. We are running the same firmware and I have tested his guitar running through my Helix, so that brings the only variables down to:

1. The strings. He is using DR Pure Blues 10s, I am using the D'addario 10s that came on the guitar. His strings are pure nickel, therefore mellower.
  2. The models. I am basically using stock models whereas he has made a lot of changes to his.
  3. The cable. He is not using the cable that came with the Variax but a longer, thicker one.
  4. Some minuscule difference in the components of the guitars.

I will have to do some further testing. Maybe he will let me borrow his guitar and swap parts back and forth :P

Interesting indeed.

You can easily identify whether or not items 1 to 3 are the cause or rule them out.  

Firstly, if your band mate is willing to try, he can swap back to using D'addario 10's to see if the plink starts occurring on his guitar.  You can also try using DR Pure Blue 10's to see if the plink disappears from your guitar

Secondly, your band mate can try using the stock models to see if the plink starts occurring, and you can try loading his customised models on your guitar to see if the plink disappears.

Thirdly, he can try using your VDI cable and you can try using his VDI cable to see whether the plink gets introduced on his guitar and removed from yours.

Item 4 - good luck with that!  I am guessing that swapping electronic components may be very tricky - but I am really not qualified to comment on it.

Certainly, having access to two JTV 89's, one that plinks and one that does not, puts you in a unique position to research the problem.  Up till now only Line 6 have been able to do that side by side comparison - and then decided that they would no longer be pursuing a solution but did not provide any detailed information as to what they found and why they would not be resolving it.

If you do pursue it further, I would be interested in hearing what you find.    Thanks very much. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting indeed.

You can easily identify whether or not items 1 to 3 are the cause or rule them out.  

Firstly, if your band mate is willing to try, he can swap back to using D'addario 10's to see if the plink starts occurring on his guitar.  You can also try using DR Pure Blue 10's to see if the plink disappears from your guitar

Secondly, your band mate can try using the stock models to see if the plink starts occurring, and you can try loading his customised models on your guitar to see if the plink disappears.

Thirdly, he can try using your VDI cable and you can try using his VDI cable to see whether the plink gets introduced on his guitar and removed from yours.

Item 4 - good luck with that!  I am guessing that swapping electronic components may be very tricky - but I am really not qualified to comment on it.

Certainly, having access to two JTV 89's, one that plinks and one that does not, puts you in a unique position to research the problem.  Up till now only Line 6 have been able to do that side by side comparison - and then decided that they would no longer be pursuing a solution but did not provide any detailed information as to what they found and why they would not be resolving it.

If you do pursue it further, I would be interested in hearing what you find.    Thanks very much. 

I had him send me his settings and am going to pick up a couple different sets of strings (I like the Pure Blues, so those, but also some coated strings just out of curiosity). I can easily borrow his cable, too, so I will see if I can do that. That tests all the easy variables. While I've got the strings off, I'm going to take a closer look at the bridge, too. While I am no longer ruling out software, it seems to me that two theoretically identical guitars with actually identical software ought to have the same problem, but they don't.

I had him send me his settings and am going to pick up a couple different sets of strings (I like the Pure Blues, so those, but also some coated strings just out of curiosity). I can easily borrow his cable, too, so I will see if I can do that. That tests all the easy variables. While I've got the strings off, I'm going to take a closer look at the bridge, too. While I am no longer ruling out software, it seems to me that two theoretically identical guitars with actually identical software ought to have the same problem, but they don't.

The absolute proof will be if you can fix the plink on your JTV but also get the plink to appear on your band mates guitar by changing the same variables on his JTV 89 that fixed it for you.  That would nail the cause. However, based on what has already been reported, I doubt that will happen. 

I don't recall anyone starting with a perfect JTV without plink and then say they have done something which has made their JTV start plinking.  Plenty of people have started with plink and then mitigated the issue to varying degrees by a variety of methods as described in this enormously long thread.  It seems if you have a good JTV then it stays good. If you have one with a plink then it stays with a plink although it may be possible to mitigate it to varying degrees of success.

I look forward to hearing the results of all your tests and I hope they can shed some more light on this enduring mystery......

Talked to my bandmate today, he says he thinks he may actually not have changed the strings, so he is probably not yet using the DRs. At any rate, in my experience, the Pure Blues are not THAT much mellower anyway. I also tested out his patches and found that they did not get rid of the sound. And, finally, it occurs to me that I have tested the Variax with two different cables on my end and it is unlikely that his cable is changing much. With all that in mind, this suggests that the difference is somewhere in the hardware, some minor variance. I removed the bridge from the guitar (not fun, by the way) and tightened all the various things that could be tightened, took things apart and put them back together... there was nothing that seemed noticeably "wrong" or out of place. So... I dunno. There is definitely SOMEthing different, but until I can, say, swap bridges, it will be hard to test much. It's also impossible to remove the bridge without completely ruining my setup, so I have to do a new setup each time, which I am not terribly excited about. Nevertheless, I am trying to see what my options are for obtaining a new piezo element or entirely new bridge. I had considered swapping the A piezo into the E piezo, but didn't do so yet. I know people have suggested switching the wires, but I don't recall if there has been any talk of switching the whole piezo element.

That makes sense.  I can understand why you would not be keen to do more detailed testing - that all sounds very complicated and time consuming - so I hope you can make some headway and fix the annoying plink on your JTV in the near future.

In this thread people have reported varying affects from changing strings, usually only providing a slight mitigation of the plink with mellower or coated strings, and people have also reported mitigating the plink to varying levels by customizing the variax models within Workbench HD in certain ways but doesn't work for everyone.  I don't recall anyone having any success with swapping cables - so your experience matches the earlier reports.

Good luck with the next step - hope you get it fixed !

If anyone is keeping count or score.  I received my black JVT 89F Monday.  Yes, it has the plink too :(  I will look for a home brew fix, or some way of reducing it instead of returning, because I figure.  I want one of these, and there is no guarantee that any replacements won't have the issue.  So, I decided to find a livable solution for live performances.

Contacted Sweetwater about parts (since the Line 6 site says that is proper procedure), their tech put me in touch with someone at Line 6. That person spoke to their tech, who seems quite adamant that I should send it in. I am somewhat less optimistic now since this thread seems to suggest that is a dead end. On the other hand, I did hear back in a separate ticket and individual piezo elements can be ordered for the guitar here: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/234088-Line-6-11-00-0010. I'm going to see how things play out with the tech first, but if anyone is tempted to swap out piezos, there is the link. The bridge can be special ordered from them as well, part number is 50-04-0068.

I am got going to dig in till the warranty is over.  I am just planning on doing the things everyone else suggest software wise.  I have a gig in two weeks, that I had wanted the guitar for.  I will see if I can get away with the songs at rehersal then decide from there.

I think I'm going to try to RMA it and see if I have better luck than some of the others with having Line 6 repair it. If that doesn't work, then I will resort to purchasing parts myself.

Good luck - look forward to hearing your update once you get it back.

What a thread!

I'm a long-time Line 6 fan (owning 5 products so far) and now I'm thinking about getting a used JTV (59 probably). This issue is really putting me off, naturally. I haven't decided yet but if I do I'll definitely try before buy and test this issue specifically. Thank you, guys, for pursuing this problem and sharing any possibly helpful tips!

It's a shame that Line 6, being such a superb innovative company and having extremely helpful stuff engaging in various web forums, has these weird moments when they stop communicating completely when an issue occurs which really seems to deserve explanation and solution. My guess is that it happens whenever there is an actual ball dropped on Line 6 side and then the hard business rules kick in and all friendliness is gone even though I can imagine that some of the Line 6 guys hate it. And then we're left with whatever we bought, no apologies.

This seems to be one of the cases, another was the incoming phantom power issue with Helix, complete let down, cannot be fixed. But there it is a design issue affecting all units (maybe just the early series, who knows) and a solution is not that inconvenient (phantom blocker). In case of JTV plink, I don't think it's a marginal issue in terms of units affected, otherwise Line 6 would probably fix or replace those faulty guitars.

Still, the actual cause of the issue is really unclear - rewiring 5th and 6th piezos seems to suggest it's not the guitar itself, it's in the electronics/software, but then it doesn't make much sense why not all guitars are affected. Perhaps it's a combination - there really is a thing in the electronics/software which deals with this issue just on the 5th string (and for capacity reasons not on the 6th string) but perhaps if a guitar resonates on one (6th) string, it more probably also resonates on another string (5th). In that case it could possibly (kind of) make sense... 

Mine is headed out the door today. I requested that they let me know what they ended up doing to it to fix it, assuming that they do fix it. And, to be quite honest, if they refuse to admit there is a problem or fix what is clearly there, then it might be time for some of these forum goers to look into the BBB as I'm pretty sure knowingly selling a defective product and refusing to fix it is grounds for some legal action. But I am hoping it does not come to that.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, just got mine back. That's about... 2.5 weeks, so not that bad. They covered shipping both ways, too. I am... not really sure if it's fixed. I first plugged in it and played around with it for maybe 20 minutes and thought that it seemed to be mostly resolved as long as I didn't play super hard (like smacking the crap out of the strings with my pick hard). Then I came to write a post about how great things are now that it is fixed and picked it up again and the problem seemed to be back. Then I played around with it for a while to really see what was going on and, lo and behold, the problem pretty much went away again. I have no idea what is going on, but it seems like it is probably mostly fixed, it just needs some time to settle and be played with.

What was fixed, according to the tech, were the nut slots and the piezo slot/shell (the shell that holds the piezo element must be properly contoured, but only so much so that the acoustic coupling is not ruined). That is to say, they were filed/smoothed, much as I originally suspected (but was a little to chicken to try on the piezo). This points to, again as I suspected, a hardware issue. Generally speaking, any imperfections in the slots will naturally smooth out over time anyway, so my suspicion is that the problem will get better, not worse, as time goes on. Perhaps quality control is not great on the piezo elements and some are worse than others. Perhaps the investigation is on the backburner because they are not using these saddles on future models.

In my testing today, it seems to me that the problem is now basically non-existent on any model other than the Strat models. This is because the Strat body model amplifies the nasty characteristics - for example, removing the body model and just letting the real body tone come through virtually eliminates the problem. So, in that sense, there is, perhaps, some better filtering that could be done on that particular model, but that isn't really the root cause of the problem. When just playing the guitar acoustically, it seems to me that the 6th string has a different set of overtones than the other strings. I do not have a good way to verify my suspicions quantitatively, but it seems to me that is likely why the 6th string is the only one with this problem. It happens to produce an (ugly) overtone than happens to be picked up by the piezo and amplified by certain models and amps.

My advice, based on all this, is to either send your guitar to Line 6 (if it's under warranty) or take it to a good tech and have them work on the nut and saddle slots. Barring that, you could also try ordering new piezo saddles (available here: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/234088-Line-6-11-00-0010)and swapping those in. They are a relatively cheap part, so you might order a few and keep going until you find one that works. I believe that Line 6 is willing to work with you on this, but there is no magic, instant fix and it may not be 100% perfect (because guitars never are). I am also going to try a couple different coated string options in conjunction with the fix Line 6 did for me to see if that further mitigates the issue (the coating should, theoretically, mute some of the overtones). If you have not yet bought a Variax (and I still think you should!), make sure to test it first or buy it from a reputable dealer with a good return/exchange policy.

• Upvote 2

Thx for posting this!  

Have you only had the problem on the 6th string?  

You have the 89f if I remember correctly?

For me, it was only the 6th string - I believe that is also the case for most folks. I don't recall hearing about other strings, but I haven't read the entire thread (I think I can be forgiven for that). I have the JTV89 with the hardtail as I hate floating bridges. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Floyd models use Ghost saddles, so I would imagine them to be less prone, but I could be mistaken.

What was fixed, according to the tech, were the nut slots and the piezo slot/shell (the shell that holds the piezo element must be properly contoured, but only so much so that the acoustic coupling is not ruined). That is to say, they were filed/smoothed, much as I originally suspected (but was a little to chicken to try on the piezo). This points to, again as I suspected, a hardware issue. Generally speaking, any imperfections in the slots will naturally smooth out over time anyway, so my suspicion is that the problem will get better, not worse, as time goes on. Perhaps quality control is not great on the piezo elements and some are worse than others. Perhaps the investigation is on the backburner because they are not using these saddles on future models.

Great to hear that your problem is pretty much fixed.

So - just to be clear - they only worked on the nut slot and the saddle slots (front and back) around the piezo for just the LOW E 6th string?

What exactly did they do to the nut slot?  And what exactly did they do to the piezo shell - just widen the front and back slots - or did they do anything else?

Thanks for sharing all this info with everyone.

Great to hear that your problem is pretty much fixed.

So - just to be clear - they only worked on the nut slot and the saddle slots (front and back) around the piezo for just the LOW E 6th string?

What exactly did they do to the nut slot?  And what exactly did they do to the piezo shell - just widen the front and back slots - or did they do anything else?

Thanks for sharing all this info with everyone.

Since I was only having a problem with the 6th string (low E), that is, as far as I know, the only string that was worked on. Here is the exact quote: "The plink or over-ringing is dealt with by doing some adjustments to the channel in the piezo casing and de-burring the nut slots." What this says to me, in more plain English, is that the nut slot was smoothed and the piezo and casing around it were filed until they fit together better. I still notice the sound when using the Strat models (so I may make some adjustments to that model), but it is pretty much gone on all the other models, including the Tele.

I do notice one thing that is odd to me and seems to suggest that it is not JUST a hardware problem. If I rub my finger along the string, the 6th string is actually the only one where I CAN'T really hear any sort of high-pitched sound acoustically (though that is clearly where the plink is coming from), but the high-pitched sounds coming from the other strings do not seem to come through the electronics at all, as if they were being filtered out on all the other strings. That is, acoustically I hear some high-pitched sounds that I do not hear coming through the wires.

• Upvote 1

Since I was only having a problem with the 6th string (low E), that is, as far as I know, the only string that was worked on. Here is the exact quote: "The plink or over-ringing is dealt with by doing some adjustments to the channel in the piezo casing and de-burring the nut slots." What this says to me, in more plain English, is that the nut slot was smoothed and the piezo and casing around it were filed until they fit together better. I still notice the sound when using the Strat models (so I may make some adjustments to that model), but it is pretty much gone on all the other models, including the Tele.

I do notice one thing that is odd to me and seems to suggest that it is not JUST a hardware problem. If I rub my finger along the string, the 6th string is actually the only one where I CAN'T really hear any sort of high-pitched sound acoustically (though that is clearly where the plink is coming from), but the high-pitched sounds coming from the other strings do not seem to come through the electronics at all, as if they were being filtered out on all the other strings. That is, acoustically I hear some high-pitched sounds that I do not hear coming through the wires.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Previously I bought a 89f.  It had the plink issue on multiple strings.  It was most prominent with higher distortion and seemed more likely to occur around the 12th fret.  I tried a few of the techniques listed in the doc here.  It wasn't able to reduce or eliminate it much, so I sent it back.

Fast-forward 3 months, I bought a 89 last week.  When I first started playing, it had the plink again and it was stronger and more noticeable. I found the bridge mag pickup was very high and sometimes interred with the strings.  I lowered it down and it was gone. Tried all the models and couldn't replicate it. 

After about a week of playing, it does appear on the low-E string, only with the Strat model and high distortion.  It's not the biggest deal to be, but something I'd like to solve.  

I got a fretwrap and Elixir polyweb strings coming, so I'll test and see if it helps.  

I ripped all the modeling stuff out of my JTV59.  It's a really nice guitar and deserves better than to be plagued by all the problems with Low E string plink for the modeling.

When I removed the Piezo bridge, I noticed that the piezo saddles looked almost exactly like a crown for a tooth.  I had a bad crown and decided to use the piezo saddle that I removed from my JTV59 in place of my worn out and cracked crown.  The new crown is working GREAT!!!  I am able to chew steak and it's even strong enough to open a beer bottle with.  One problem though... every time I try to sing, I have this annoying plink sound coming out of my mouth.  What do I do now?

I ripped all the modeling stuff out of my JTV59.  It's a really nice guitar and deserves better than to be plagued by all the problems with Low E string plink for the modeling.

When I removed the Piezo bridge, I noticed that the piezo saddles looked almost exactly like a crown for a tooth.  I had a bad crown and decided to use the piezo saddle that I removed from my JTV59 in place of my worn out and cracked crown.  The new crown is working GREAT!!!  I am able to chew steak and it's even strong enough to open a beer bottle with.  One problem though... every time I try to sing, I have this annoying plink sound coming out of my mouth.  What do I do now?

Try one of these fret wraps, should fit well over your teeth:

Fretwrap%20Camo%20Green.jpg

Also the camouflage means no one will notice.

When I removed the Piezo bridge, I noticed that the piezo saddles looked almost exactly like a crown for a tooth. 

Time for someone to take their plinking JTV to an oral surgeon. 

Plinking is the worst on Strat, possible next worst offender being the Les Paul.

It's definitely a byproduct of the piezos. 

I think ultimately, all guitars have a "plink" to their tone, but the problem is, that the level between the fundamental note and the plinking harmonics is thrown off balance. Plink overpowers the fundamental sound of the 6th string on the Variax to an annoying extreme. Something that happens because of the piezo.

The piezos are not all the same, so there is a chance you can run into the plink problem just by having the guitar. 

Like I said in my personal story, I had 3 Variaxes, 2 returns, 1 final.

First one sounded perfect, Very rounded sound on the 6th string, no plink at all. Sent it back because I was fooled into thinking a software glitch with using a 12th string model on a higher tuning caused a static noise, which was really some form of warble, was some type of issue with my Variax. It was actually straight up the software/firmware doing that, nothing hardware wise.

Didn't want to risk it, sent it back on impulse. Huge mistake. It was probably the most stable out of the bunch.

Second guitar. I noticed the plink problem. Argued with Sweetwater about it. They kinda argued that it sounded fine, but let's be honest, it doesn't. The most prominent the plink sounds off is when using it with distortion with a decent amount of treble.

Sent that in because of the plink problem. 3rd guitar. Had the plink problem, but I convinced myself it was decent enough. The plink problem wasn't as overbearing as some of yours.

After a year, I accidentally pushed my palm against the bridge too hard, and for some reason I swear the plink got even worse. I could see winding marks on the piezo in fact. It also gave me tuning problems. Got the piezo on the 6th string replaced, still pretty plinky. 

So yeah, it's probably a lot to do with the piezo...

That's what I've found too.

Worst offender is using a boost pedal into high gain. That's something I like to use for sharp sounding high gain sounds. It tightens up the whole sound, but with the Variax, it makes the plink problem rise to the top. 

Well done. Now you're very close to clarify of the mystery.

I changed the body to neutral on a few plinky models in workbench... plink dissappeared.

Then I loaded (fellow forumite) Fremen's Variax bundle, which uses all the factory bodies, and the plink did not come back. There was nothing radical about his other settings, either. The plink, along with the construction of the pyramids, is one of the worlds great mysteries.

The plink, along with the construction of the pyramids, is one of the worlds great mysteries.

I think there is a striking similarity between the the governments cover-up of UFOs by the government, and the cover-up of the inner workings of Variax electronics (and ultimately the true cause of the plink) by Line6. The only logical conclusion is that both are the result of alien visitation to our planet and their manipulation of Newtonian physics and silicon based technology.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something interesting... 

My JTV59 was fine out of the box - no plink. I played 3 in store and the other 2 had the plink. Too it home and played it - no plink. Played it at band practise - no plink. Awesome! High Gain, modelled guitar and alternate tuning - no plink. Acoustic model? No plink.  Basically - I got a good one :)

Then I changed the strings...

I went from .10-.46 D'addario that came from factory to the D'addario .10 - .46 NYXL's. The bridge didn't get moved during the string change. I changed each string rather than taking all 6 off and putting the new 6 on. Was super careful not to disturb the guitar in case it gave me the plinks. Restrung, tuned to pitch, plugged in... magnetic pickups sounded sweet! These new strings sound wicked!... then I switched to modelled guitar and switched to baritone tuning...

AND I GOT THE PLINK - BIG TIME

I'm running Variax> Pod HD500> DT25. Plink made much more noticeable on any patch that uses amp voicing III. Moving amp voicing to IV quietened it enough that my band didn't notice... But I did.

I'll be switching back to regular D'addario soon and will report back. At this point, i'm inclined to think it's a hardware issue, as it only affects the thickest string, which I have noticed sits the most awkwardly in it's saddle, and is under the most tension - so MAYBE it's moving the piezo, and you only hear it when palm muting as the string vibration masks it when played open?

I know a guy who's also got this problem, and he SWEARS by wrapping electric tape around the string where it sits on the bridge to fix the problem. So i'll try that too.

Wish me luck!

...it only affects the thickest string, which I have noticed sits the most awkwardly in it's saddle, and is under the most tension

Actually, its not. The low E is rarely The highest tension string, and according to D'Addario's tension chart for that particular set, the A string has it beat by more than 2 pounds. I seriously doubt the amount of tension has anything to do with it anyway. But who knows? L6 ain't talkin'...The "plink" is likely to be a mystery until the end of time. Good luck.

...it only affects the thickest string, which I have noticed sits the most awkwardly in it's saddle, and is under the most tension

Actually, its not. The low E rarely has the most tension on it, and according to D'Addario's tension chart for that particular set, the A string has it beat by more than 2 pounds. I seriously doubt the amount of tension has anything to do with it anyway. But who knows? L6 ain't talkin'...The "plink" is likely to be a mystery until the end of time. Good luck.

Actually, its not. The low E rarely has the most tension on it, and according to D'Addario's tension chart for that particular set, the A string has it beat by more than 2 pounds. I seriously doubt the amount of tension has anything to do with it anyway. But who knows? L6 ain't talkin'...The "plink" is likely to be a mystery until the end of time. Good luck.

the tension on the E string is barely anything. I mean it's enough, but the low E string has the highest tension honestly. It affects the tremolo tension the most when tuning the guitar up.