Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do You Have The Same Problem With 6th String?

the tension on the E string is barely anything. I mean it's enough, but the low E string has the highest tension honestly. It affects the tremolo tension the most when tuning the guitar up.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Just because the low E is physically thicker, doesn't mean it exerts more force than any of the others. Look it up for yourself if you don't want to take my word it, but it's not an arguable point. D'Addario publishes tension charts for every set of strings they sell, which are all readily accessible on their website. For the set in question, the A string has more than 2 pounds more tension on it than the low E. Several of the other strings in that set also have more tension on them than the low E. This is not peculiar to D'Addario either... it's just the way it is for most sets of strings out there, with the exception of "balanced tension" sets, where a deliberate effort has been made to have the exact same amount of tension (very close to it, anyway) on every string when tuned to standard pitch.

• Upvote 1

OK - I have a solution for me. And how I got there:

First, I noticed the smallest amount of play on the saddle, and when "wiggled" would changed the volume of the plink. Nothing consistent though.  

So, I re-strung the 6th E with another .46 string with a small bit of electric tape wrapped around it, where it sits in the piezo saddle. This MASSIVELY reduced the plink in all models bar "Spank" - but being a an*l retentive guitarist - I could still just about hear it... enough to still be an issue.

Then, I strung it with a .56 gauge string...

PLINK GONE. Even on Spank!

Its a tad thick for standard tuning, but not too bad. I'll order a .50 & .52 to see how low I can get the gauge while not having plink - but for me, using a heavier gauge has fixed my issue.

Hopefully helpful to everyone!

Here is the bundle I have loaded into my JTV59. It is different models I have picked and chosen, and my formerlly plinky 59 is now fine.

Here's the bundle. I would be interested to see if anyone else tries to use this bundle, and if it fixes their plink.

EDIT -- Here's the correct link

https://app.box.com/s/pk110uw0bq57dp0b2gpl3qdhfs3qcwnw

Here is the bundle I have loaded into my JTV59. It is different models I have picked and chosen, and my formerlly plinky 59 is now fine.

Here's the bundle. I would be interested to see if anyone else tries to use this bundle, and if it fixes their plink.

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_160008722629

Sorry but I can`t get the file mentioned above. Box says: The demanded page is not available.

thank you

OK - I have a solution for me. And how I got there:

First, I noticed the smallest amount of play on the saddle, and when "wiggled" would changed the volume of the plink. Nothing consistent though.  

So, I re-strung the 6th E with another .46 string with a small bit of electric tape wrapped around it, where it sits in the piezo saddle. This MASSIVELY reduced the plink in all models bar "Spank" - but being a an*l retentive guitarist - I could still just about hear it... enough to still be an issue.

Then, I strung it with a .56 gauge string...

PLINK GONE. Even on Spank!

Its a tad thick for standard tuning, but not too bad. I'll order a .50 & .52 to see how low I can get the gauge while not having plink - but for me, using a heavier gauge has fixed my issue.

Hopefully helpful to everyone!

Many Thanks, I tried a .52 Ernie Ball Nickel I had in my reserves and PLINK GONE. I had issues only on the Strat and Tele and both are gone. Absolute improvement. Thanks for all efforts -saved me on a purchasing a new / used one and hoping. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Just because the low E is physically thicker, doesn't mean it exerts more force than any of the others. Look it up for yourself if you don't want to take my word it, but it's not an arguable point. D'Addario publishes tension charts for every set of strings they sell, which are all readily accessible on their website. For the set in question, the A string has more than 2 pounds more tension on it than the low E. Several of the other strings in that set also have more tension on them than the low E. This is not peculiar to D'Addario either... it's just the way it is for most sets of strings out there, with the exception of "balanced tension" sets, where a deliberate effort has been made to have the exact same amount of tension (very close to it, anyway) on every string when tuned to standard pitch.

You missread it, I said the thin E string not the thick.

The thin E string actually carried a lot of the tension. The thick E string actually carried not so much.

You break off the thin E string on a tremolo and you're pretty screwed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rocco

I was able to load your bundle and it helps to minimize plink. Plink is still there but there's an improvement. To completely eliminate plink I have resorted to using an elixir.052 for the low E, but I hate the feel of a 52 and it sucks to have to break up a set of elixir strings. Big thanks to Rocco for sharing the bundle. You're the best brother!

Rocco_Crocco was kind enough to email me his 59 bundle, but I still get that "Error loading file - unsupported file format - Code 8000101a". I have been able to load a bundle arislaf shared with us at one time.

Does anyone know for sure whether we can or can't share .bun files between JTV59, 69 and 89F? Thanks

When I try to load the file I always get the info: "Error loading file - unsupported file format - Code 8000101a."

All my other .bun files are ok.

???

Update!

After installing the latest Workbench version 2.13 everything worked fine. No problems anymore.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have searched this forum and others. I'm pretty sure there are sound files of the "plink" sound but I can't find any.

My low E sounds weird on some models. The 12 strings suffer a lot but not just those. I would like to hear what the plinking sounds like. Can anyone point me to a sound file? 

Thanks

I had solved my plink issue by placing a  .52 on my low E String. Worked great but it was uncomfortable for me to play. Finally sent my guitar to Line 6. I spoke to a tech who had my guitar in hand and he could not hear the plink - odd. I told him that it was specific to the Spank and T Model only and that it occurred on higher gain Helix settings only as well. He assured me he could not make it happen in any scenario. Odd but what could I say being that I could not be there in person.  Once it was returned - I plugged in and no plink anywhere. All that was done was a setup as far as I know. I am happy it is working as designed but I would really like to know what the issue really was. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I found using a heavier gauge string on the low E resolved the plink issue. On my JTV59 - The lightest I can go without plink is .49 - so give it a try if you're still having issues, or feel the .52 is too heavy.

It's TOTALLY removed the issue for me, across all models and all tunings.

• Upvote 1

I had solved my plink issue by placing a  .52 on my low E String. Worked great but it was uncomfortable for me to play. Finally sent my guitar to Line 6. I spoke to a tech who had my guitar in hand and he could not hear the plink - odd. I told him that it was specific to the Spank and T Model only and that it occurred on higher gain Helix settings only as well. He assured me he could not make it happen in any scenario. Odd but what could I say being that I could not be there in person.  Once it was returned - I plugged in and no plink anywhere. All that was done was a setup as far as I know. I am happy it is working as designed but I would really like to know what the issue really was.

This continues to imply to me its a physical problem with how the piezo is seated in the bridge piece. It is possible that the shipping to/from Line6 resulted in environmental shifts that allowed the pickup to seat a bit better or different. That might account for the missing plink.

I have a Variax Standard that had plink, but it worked itself out and doesn't anymore. Seemed to happen after a number of ver hot and humid outside gigs last summer and a lot of hours on the guitar. I have a new JTV-69S that never had any problems. That has become my may gigging guitar. I love how it plays and sounds.

This continues to imply to me its a physical problem with how the piezo is seated in the bridge piece. It is possible that the shipping to/from Line6 resulted in environmental shifts that allowed the pickup to seat a bit better or different. That might account for the missing plink.

I have a Variax Standard that had plink, but it worked itself out and doesn't anymore. Seemed to happen after a number of ver hot and humid outside gigs last summer and a lot of hours on the guitar. I have a new JTV-69S that never had any problems. That has become my may gigging guitar. I love how it plays and sounds.

A bit frightening to think it was caused by some jostling in the shipping. One would think the problem would be solved by now. Incredible that my issue was so pronounced in my hands and then gone by the time Line 6 recieved it. I too would have to believe a physical issue is at the root as I made no changes to my DAW, software, updates etc while the guitar was out of my hands. I feel for the guys that play them live as it could happen at any minute? 

...One would think the problem would be solved by now...

The reason it hasn't been solved is that no one has the faintest idea what the problem actually is, or IF it's even the same cause in all cases. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Problems with simple, easily identifiable universal causes get fixed. Mysteries, or problems with multiple causes that can vary from one user to the next, don't. EVERY bit of "evidence" presented to date, not to mention the various "fixes", have been an even mix of guesswork, wishful thinking, and as far as remedies are concerned... dumb luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 1st string has a very low level on my JTV89F. Does anyone know. Can the same brand/type of piezo elements have varying outputs? Wondering if I should try to replace the 1st string piezo.

I have answered and solved my own question. I called Graphtech (the makers of the locking trem on the JTV89F) and asked them for a replacement piezo. The piezo only. Not the housing. After gulping and sweating for about 30 minutes my 1st string piezo was replaced and.....drum roll.....it fixed it. So the piezos themselves can have a fairly large discrepancy in ouptut. Just wish they'd check that at the factory before I ponied up $20 for a new piezo.

I have answered and solved my own question. I called Graphtech (the makers of the locking trem on the JTV89F) and asked them for a replacement piezo. The piezo only. Not the housing. After gulping and sweating for about 30 minutes my 1st string piezo was replaced and.....drum roll.....it fixed it. So the piezos themselves can have a fairly large discrepancy in ouptut. Just wish they'd check that at the factory before I ponied up $20 for a new piezo.

Isn't Graphtech's claim to fame that their piezo sets are balanced to avoid just such a scenario? 🤔

I wish I were an engineer. Seems to me that piezo technology itself needs an enema....

Isn't Graphtech's claim to fame that their piezo sets are balanced to avoid just such a scenario?

I wish I were an engineer. Seems to me that piezo technology itself needs an enema....

Oooo. That I don't know. I would agree with your piezo assessment.

Oooo. That I don't know. I would agree with your piezo assessment.

Lol...yep, here it is straight from their website:

"Pickups are individually calibrated, and sets are precision-balanced, so you get even string-to-string output."

http://graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/ghost-pickups---guitar

Oh well, nobody's perfect. ;) At least you got it working...

Lol...yep, here it is straight from their website:

"Pickups are individually calibrated, and sets are precision-balanced, so you get even string-to-string output."

http://graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/ghost-pickups---guitar

Oh well, nobody's perfect. ;) At least you got it working...

That rubs me a bit. I even did the string input switch with the 2nd string to make sure it was the piezo and not the input. Oh well, it was only $20 and I have a perfectly running 89F now. I think I'll just keep my head down.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys ! 

I have a JTV89F for many years and I was experiencing the plink plonk sound on the E string when palm muting at high gain (I play Metal songs). Very annoying...

Recently, I bought an Helix (I was on a Pod HD500X) and I try to config the Variax with Workbench HD directly from the Helix. (Variax is connected to the Helix with the Variax cable and Helix connected to my computer by USB). This config allows me to modify a little bit a parameter on Workbench and ear immediately how it sounds.

My goal was to find a setup which minimize the plink plonk sound.

Big Surprise ! I was on a body Lester Flametop and mic 89 bridge and I modify this for a neutral body with Wide Range humbucker bridge. No more plink !!!

Even with high gain amp like PV Panama ! I am really really happy !

Please try to modify your setup in Workbench HD and tell me if it solves the plink plonk sound on your side.