Jump to content
chstd

Do You Have The Same Problem With 6th String?

Recommended Posts

Oh goody! I was beginning to fear that this thread might never reappear. Disaster averted. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh goody! I was beginning to fear that this thread might never reappear. Disaster averted. ;)

Come on now, at least it’s a little more sporadic as opposed to a main stay on the first page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Just got my Variax Shuriken. Completely the same issue with 6-th string (that's why I googled this thread ), stock strings. Gonna try 12/54(52) Tomorrow and let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Just got my Variax Shuriken. Completely the same issue with 6-th string (that's why I googled this thread ), stock strings. Gonna try 12/54(52) Tomorrow and let you know.

As promised yesterday sharing my results.

Boght 10-52 Srting today, and plink plunk plink problem is gone, completely!!! I'm a happy man now and I love my Shuriken :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying 10-46 instead of 9-42 my JTV had on it when I got it.Acoustically it already sounds better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. Having the same issue. I'll try my Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds to me like that's the sound coming from the pick. I get the same "problem" with both my variax guitars (jtv89f and 500) and I tried to reduce it by using softer picks.

Of course just the piezo can pick that noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only person who things the 6th string has a problem regardless of whether or not you have a plinking sound? It just sounds inconsistent to all the other strings. It has way more honk than any of the other strings do, and I literally played 4 Variaxes. I don't know why they don't compensate for this in the modeling. It's super annoying to deal with.

 

The problem is if you ever do any type of boost that gives more bite to the other 5 strings, the 6th strings becomes way too grating. I don't know how many of you just play low gain rock, but if you play with higher treble sounds or high gain, it becomes an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only person who things the 6th string has a problem regardless of whether or not you have a plinking sound? It just sounds inconsistent to all the other strings. It has way more honk than any of the other strings do, and I literally played 4 Variaxes. I don't know why they don't compensate for this in the modeling. It's super annoying to deal with.

 

The problem is if you ever do any type of boost that gives more bite to the other 5 strings, the 6th strings becomes way too grating. I don't know how many of you just play low gain rock, but if you play with higher treble sounds or high gain, it becomes an issue. 

 

I have the same issue.  It ususally occurs on the strat setting, bridge pickup and tone all the way up.  The more distortion, the worse it gets.  Actually any of the previous variables adds to the issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use Workbench HD and lower the string volume. Generally the piezo pickups are pretty variable so its not unusual to have to balance the strings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 7:30 PM, amsdenj said:

Use Workbench HD and lower the string volume. Generally the piezo pickups are pretty variable so its not unusual to have to balance the strings.

I have done that and they are balanced.  I can lower the low E further to reduce the plink, but then on cleaner sounds, it will be off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, amsdenj said:

Use Workbench HD and lower the string volume. Generally the piezo pickups are pretty variable so its not unusual to have to balance the strings.

Are you leveling them just by ear? I tried that and I didn't feel real confident of my results. I'd feel better if I was feeding the signal into some kind of meter for a visual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem, last firmware, reflash done. 
Does anyone knows is it possible to fix or guitar must go back to the shop ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikeskyborn said:

Same problem, last firmware, reflash done. 
Does anyone knows is it possible to fix or guitar must go back to the shop ?

 

As you can see from this years- long thread, this ain't exactly a new problem. No universal fix exists...L6 has admitted that themselves. This thread touts various remedies...everything from using a heavier gauge string (up to a .52 for the low E), to dampening sympathetic vibrations in various locations (behind the nut and/or bridge saddles), to dancing over a pile of chicken bones and goat's blood whist chanting supplications to the gods. You can try any or all of these and see if it helps, but the bottom line is some guitars do it, and some don't. Some of it has to do with the player and the tone(s)... high gain and lots of palm muting tends to make it worse.... which explains why more of the metal guys seem to have trouble. 

 

If it's a new guitar, I'd just send it back for another one...ymmv.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suplication, now there’s a word you don’t hear to often. But it has a nice ring. 

 

Another thing is the clang tone can change over time. Playing seems to seat the piezos in the bridge better over time and this seems to impact the clang tone. It really does seem to improve with use. Heavier strings could accelerate this due to the higher pressure and wider vibrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.04.2018 at 8:56 PM, cruisinon2 said:

As you can see from this years- long thread, this ain't exactly a new problem. No universal fix exists...L6 has admitted that themselves. This thread touts various remedies...everything from using a heavier gauge string (up to a .52 for the low E), to dampening sympathetic vibrations in various locations (behind the nut and/or bridge saddles), to dancing over a pile of chicken bones and goat's blood whist chanting supplications to the gods. You can try any or all of these and see if it helps, but the bottom line is some guitars do it, and some don't. Some of it has to do with the player and the tone(s)... high gain and lots of palm muting tends to make it worse.... which explains why more of the metal guys seem to have trouble. 

 

If it's a new guitar, I'd just send it back for another one...ymmv.

I decided to leave it, my dealer sold it for much lower price. Reason is:

- Strats and tele models isnt good anyway in compare with real ones;

- Low quality of factory control(it comes with unscrewed nut and with piece of tape under, without tape 2nd string are on first fret. Even if I decide to change guitar and send it back from Ukraine to States, is no guarantee that second one will not have worst problems, for example bad neck ...)

 

Real goals of jtv89f is great unit for shredding with good magnetic pickups, and awesome acoustic models, also maybe some hollow body models, without using higain, or disable body emulation can help a bit with that resonance .

 

But I still didn't read all answers in this topic - what was a L6 opinion with it, only to change guitar to find working one at all ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikeskyborn said:

I decided to leave it, my dealer sold it for much lower price. Reason is:

- Strats and tele models isnt good anyway in compare with real ones;

- Low quality of factory control(it comes with unscrewed nut and with piece of tape under, without tape 2nd string are on first fret. Even if I decide to change guitar and send it back from Ukraine to States, is no guarantee that second one will not have worst problems, for example bad neck ...)

 

Real goals of jtv89f is great unit for shredding with good magnetic pickups, and awesome acoustic models, also maybe some hollow body models, without using higain, or disable body emulation can help a bit with that resonance .

 

But I still didn't read all answers in this topic - what was a L6 opinion with it, only to change guitar to find working one at all ?

 

 

 

Here you go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had similar symptoms on my D string ... only exception was I could hear an electronic "click" when using the whammy bar sometimes and the "muddy, muffled, lower-volume" sound would clear up OR recur, making me think it was an electrical connection problem.  I removed the D-string, carefully raised the piezo from the bridge saddle and burnished (cleaned) the bottom of the piezo metal AND the resting spot on the bridge saddle and VOILA, problem resolved.  Enough dust/dirt had settled to make a poor connection.  MORAL OF THE STORY:  a periodic cleaning of the bottom of your piezo and the bridge saddle when changing strings can make a difference!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 i’m having the same problem it seems to be more apparent when I use acoustic models though ,and heading the string open and not palm muting.  I have a Sherrick in and it is fine but I just got this G TV 89F and the low  Estring is almost useless.  I am going to try moving up to an 11 through 15 balanced tension set of strings and pulling the little Piazon out and making sure it’s clean underneath it. hopefully that works  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, SymphonicDischord said:

 

 

 

Here you go. 

Thank's a lot :) But all those answers is like advices "try, maybe this will help .. " No reasons to check it at all, because when I swap 5 and 6 string piezo connectors, problem goes to 5th string, 6th string in this position, when it goes to channel designed for 5th string to the electronic - has ideal sound !

So it is no any reasons to check, problem is in the computer inside, I think this sound is notching in system for each string as usual, but L6 got a lot of non-liquidable electronics, which is unable to fix with new firmware. This is only one way I can explain this issue.

But anyway I don't use electric guitar emulations, they are not good to me, only acoustic models, they are incredible,  and I'm happy to play on this guitar :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mikeskyborn said:

Thank's a lot :) But all those answers is like advices "try, maybe this will help .. " No reasons to check it at all, because when I swap 5 and 6 string piezo connectors, problem goes to 5th string, 6th string in this position, when it goes to channel designed for 5th string to the electronic - has ideal sound !

So it is no any reasons to check, problem is in the computer inside, I think this sound is notching in system for each string as usual, but L6 got a lot of non-liquidable electronics, which is unable to fix with new firmware. This is only one way I can explain this issue.

But anyway I don't use electric guitar emulations, they are not good to me, only acoustic models, they are incredible,  and I'm happy to play on this guitar :)

 

I would try changing the piezo. I did this and it worked. I think a problem with the JTV's as opposed to the earlier Variax technology is the JTV's are way more sensitve to the piezo's. So you can hear variations it the piezos a lot more. It sucks. And make sure you get the right one if you do decide to change it out. The piezos in an 89F are not the same as the ones in the JTV69 for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, brue58ski said:

 

I would try changing the piezo. I did this and it worked. I think a problem with the JTV's as opposed to the earlier Variax technology is the JTV's are way more sensitve to the piezo's. So you can hear variations it the piezos a lot more. It sucks. And make sure you get the right one if you do decide to change it out. The piezos in an 89F are not the same as the ones in the JTV69 for example.

I already did it, as told before :) swaping piezos connections, and problem goes to another string. So I can not understand a logic to buy a repair parts, problem is in electronic ...

And yep, piezos onboard has a lot difference between each other, more than 6 db, you need to turn up volume of the most unsensitive and then calibrate others , and increase overall volume, sad fact.

Tnx for advice, I left this issue as it is, not important to me :)
But what do you think about native humbuckers ? They are pretty good to me, but I didnt compare them to something another yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a heretical idea. Don't play the 6th string ... ala Keith Richards. You could even get rid of it altogether. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need help,

Few months back I got a JT variax 69 from eBay since there aren't any distributors in India and now my 5th and 6th peizos are damaged , how to get a replacement? No seller ships to India , will a strat peizo bridge fit into my JTV 69

And now eBay seems to not work in India .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×