Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Xt Live Says "this Tone Contains An Amp Or Effect From An Expansion Pack You Do Not Own"

I have a POD XT LIVE I bought new in 2006. I have never had any issues with it until last week. I plugged in, turned on and played for a few minutes. I got a little fuzzy feedback sound and lost part of the pre-set tone I was using. The tone is still there it just does not sound the same. As I was going through the pre-sets I noticed when got to certain ones I would get the message "this tone contains an amp or effect from an expansion pack you do not own".

I downloaded monkey to see if there were any updates and it says there are some but I cannot get monkey to recognize the POD XT LIVE with the USB cable. Is there another way to get my presets back or get my pc to recognize the USB. I am running windows xp pro.

Thanks in advance!

Did you purchase any model packs?

If so run the Monkey to update everything then the license manager.

The PODxt Live comes with presets that may have models form other model packs which do not come with it new.

It comes with the standard models, Power Pack, and FX Junkie.

I have never purchased any model packs. The XT Live is just as it came from the factory. I did download Monkey but I cannot get my computer to recognize it through the USB port. My notebook pc has five different ports and I have plugged into all five and tried two different USB cables and I get no connection. Is there an alternate method, other than midi to connect or upgrade?

Thanks

Are you using a USB cable or USB-MIDI cable? I can't remember what firmware the XT Live shipped with. If it is early (e.g. 1.01) you will not be able to use a USB cable. You will need a USB-MIDI cable. Do not use a cheap no-brand one as it will probably not work. Line 6 recommend the MIDISport Uno. To check the firmware version read the following document:

Q: My unit cannot update via USB, and I have Flash Memory 1.01.  How do I update from Flash Memory 1.01 to a newer version?

A: First, verify if you have 1.01. Please hit the TUNER button and scroll using the SELECT knob to the last page. If you have a version later than 1.01, you can use your USB connection.

In order to update your PodXt from version 1.01 to the latest version, you will need to download Line 6 monkey (as described above) as well as a MIDI to USB interface. We recommend the MIDI SPORT UNO from M-AUDIO.  Install the drivers for your interface, then run LINE 6 MONKEY with your POD XT unit connected to your interface. Click on the CONNECT USING MIDI CABLES button, and make sure that you see the MIDI IN and MIDI OUTS set to your interface. Then go through the FLASH MEMORY installation as described above. After this is done, you will be able to update your PODxt series unit using USB.

If you have a later version then you should be able to use the USB port on the XT.

This document may also help:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-20-podxt-family-pocket-pod-floorpods/pod-xt-series-factory-reset-reflash-and-firm-r491

Hey Guys, I bought a Midisport Uno and used it tp connect my XT Live to my PC. Monkey recognized the connection and let me update the Flash Memory but it still will not let me update the Drivers. When I go through the Driver install and get to the part about connecting the USB to the computer the computer does not recognize the XTLive as new hardware so I force install it as per instructions and it loads the drivers but says the computer cannot start the device error 10. Is this a problem due to my computer not having 2.0 USB ports? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance! 

Monkey shows the current flash memory with the green check but it will not recognize the USB port on my XT Live. I am beginning to wonder if I could even download a purchase to the XT Live.

If I am hooked up through the midi connectors Monkey will connect but it still will not let me update the drivers.

I checked and when I connect my XT Live to my computer using the Midisport Uno connector and run Monkey it says firmware is 1.12.

I have connected to my two older computers and my daughter's new Macbook Pro with the Midisport Uno and it will recognize the XT Live but none of the computers will recognize the XT Live using the regular USB port on the XT Live. I have connected to every USB port on all three computers and I get nothing. On the Windows XP Pro computers I get the error message " device installed but will not start Error 10".

Any suggestions, tips, help would be greatly appreciated. If there is anyone in central North Carolina that might want to give it a shot let me know.

Thanks in advance!

I have tried two different USB cables and am beginning to wonder if it may be the port.  With that being said is there any way to get the two models, Power Pack and FX Junkie, back using the Midisport Uno. Losing those two model packs that came from the factory with the XT Live are the ones I used the most. I do not mind that I lost some custom tones because it will be kinda fun going back through the creation process. I just do not have access to all the effects and amps that I had before my XT Live did the "electronic belch" that lost everything but the standard model pack.

Thanks

does monkey show an ESN associated with the pod xt live? that's usually the biggest factor when it comes to authorizing model packs.

being that these ones are factory though, it may not matter. the latest version being 3.01 though... so you'll probably get a ton of fixes etc... and possibly the model packs by upgrading.

download the upgrade here: http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=1224

connect via midi, and then use monkey to flash from file.

you won't see any new tones... some new features, and fixes etc... i think even the startup splash screen will be different....

if you're up to the latest, start trying the USB again.

if the ESN is unknown or all 0's then it's not going to authorize purchased packs...

since these are factory packs, i dont recall if they are preauthorized or still need the ESN to work.

but flashing to the latest eliminates alot of possible issues.

• 1 year later...

Good evening,

I have problem with my POD XT live, my POD XT live cannot connect to my Windows/MacOS using USB, there is no respon when I connect my PD XT.

I Have been install Line 6 driver, Line 6 Monkey, and Line 6 Gear,.I need to connect my POD XT Live to run custom tone from Line 6 custom,.

Can you help me,..thank you,.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Do you have all the Model Packs? There are three: FX Junkie, Power Pack and Collector's Classics.The XTLive came with the first two, but not the last one. Here's what Collector's Classics contains: 

Amp Models: Based On:
Bomber X-TC Bogner '02 Ecstasy
Deity Crunch Diezel ' 03 VH4-Crunch
Blackface Vibro Fender® '63 Vibroverb
Double Show Fender® '67 Dual Showman® Head
Silverface Bass Fender® '72 Bassman® Head
Mini Double Fender® '96 Mini Twin Reverb®
Gibtone Expo Gibson® '60 GA-18 Explorer®
Brit Bass Marshall® '68 Super Bass
Brit Major Marshall® '69 Major
Silver Twelve Silvertone® '67 Twin Twelve
Super-O Thunder Supro® '62 Thunderbolt