Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dc Cable Extension And Boot Screen Cycling

chuberto

Hi,

I built a cable snake for my setup (which includes in ear monitors & dt25 so was fairly complex). In the snake, I put a DC extension for the HD500 so that it can be powered remotely.

When I tried it all out, the HD500 lights up by cycles through the Line 6 logo, black screen, Line 6 Logo ad infinitum.

First thing I checked, the polarity. This is fine.

Then the voltage. This is fine.

Then the amps. This appears fine (altough my multimeter is a bit odd and the ampage isn't clear).

I tried a different power supply (9V 3A) incase the resistance of the extension was an issue. It still doesn't work. Both the original and the 9V 3A supply both work plugged straight into the HD500, it only goes wibble when the extension is used.

Any ideas?

Mine has done that a couple of times and it was easily cured.  Hopefully this works for you too...

Shutdown and disconnect USB if hooked up. Restart while holding the 4 way nav button to the left.  This will reset your POD and it should start up fine now.  Once it is up, shutdown again and restart holding the 4 way nav switch to the right to recalibrate your expression pedal. You should be good to go now.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/pod-hd500xhd500-pedal-calibration-r161

Mine has done that a couple of times and it was easily cured.  Hopefully this works for you too...

Shutdown and disconnect USB if hooked up. Restart while holding the 4 way nav button to the left.  This will reset your POD and it should start up fine now.  Once it is up, shutdown again and restart holding the 4 way nav switch to the right to recalibrate your expression pedal. You should be good to go now.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/pod-hd500xhd500-pedal-calibration-r161

If I take out the extension and plug the adaptor straight in, it works fine. I don't think I need to reset, just trying to find a way to use a dc extension.

If I take out the extension and plug the adaptor straight in, it works fine. I don't think I need to reset, just trying to find a way to use a dc extension.

I also made a snake for 4CM using Pedal Python and included a 12ft extension cord with the guitar cables.  This is for my 1X12 combo so in the bottom of the cab I fastened a power strip and both the amp and extension cord plug in there and I run the power strip to the outlet/power source.  Now the POD power supply just plugs into the other end of the snake.  This also keeps both units on the same power feed hopefully eliminating any possible ground loops.  I have zero interference from this setup by the way...

Maybe try that instead of a long DC lead...

Thank you for your suggestion, it's a good idea. So much so, that I've been using something similar!

I'm trying to move away from it now though, mainly because my set up has become so complicated. I'm the singer/guitarist in the band and have just gone over to in ear monitors. To make it easy to play different venues and without being a prima donna with the soundman, I got my own mini rack to independantly handle my own monitor mix. Due to my inability to get by without lyrics, I also have a laptop on the floor with a usb footswitch. It's all got horrifically complex now and I'm trying to make setting up as straight forward as I can.

Hopefully this diagram makes a tiny bit of sense.

PA______________________

|                         

|

Mic-----------------------------------Splitter box---------------- Personal mixer ---- Compressor---- Reverb----Wireless Transmitter

|

|

(Cab Sim out)

----------------------------Power                                     |                                                                              

HD500<                                                                                 |                                                                

-----------Line6 Link-----------------------------------------DT25

Laptop------------------------------Power

Basically, I have 3 XLR cables and two power cables in the snake. All the power adaptors are housed in the rack and this way, I can set up in minutes, with only a couple of loose cables required (guitar cable and DT25 to cab cable). It all worked perfectly, except the HD500 power. I've ordered some more manly, low inductance cable and connectors and will see if this works. The DC extension was incredibly thin anyway. I chopped up a short extension cable (from my days of individual pedals) and wired this onto 5m of half decent cable and it worked. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for the bump but I've an update.

Male & female DC connectors, 7 metres of Van Damme two core cable, soldered and it all works perfectly. The snake is covered with heat shrink tube, with 6 cables within so it's a good balance between being not too rigid yet at the same time still being sturdy and robust.

I've got a pretty complex setup but with this, I have a mini rack that sits between the head and cab and the snake is fitted within. It takes about a minute to plug everything in.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the bump but I've an update.

Male & female DC connectors, 7 metres of Van Damme two core cable, soldered and it all works perfectly. The snake is covered with heat shrink tube, with 6 cables within so it's a good balance between being not too rigid yet at the same time still being sturdy and robust.

I've got a pretty complex setup but with this, I have a mini rack that sits between the head and cab and the snake is fitted within. It takes about a minute to plug everything in.

Glad you found a solution.