Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Footswitches Adding Brightness To Patches

grandinq

I have noticed a problem with the footswitches on my hd500. When I press on a footswitch to go to another patch, the new patch comes in extra bright as if there has been a big treble boost. If I then press the footswitch again, the patch sounds like it normally should. It is as though I need to press twice to change a patch.

At first I thought the problem was my new Variax, as I first noticed it while switching patches that included changing the guitar model or tuning. However I found the extra brightness issue even when I changed to a regular guitar.

I searched the forum about footswitch problems, but those threads I found were about footswitches that were not working at all. Mine work but with this added very annoying treble boost.

Any thoughts on this one?

So far no success in my troubleshooting.

I have reflashed the firmware 3 times.  I even rolled back to an earlier firmware to see if that made a difference, and it didn't.

I hooked up a midi pedal (fcb1010) to do the program changes as a way of checking if there was something wrong with the physical footswitch on the hd500, but it did the same thing (adding extra brightness until I pressed down to "reload" the patch).

An interesting wrinkle I've noticed is it doesn't do it for every patch.  I've only noticed it so far in going from an AC30 patch to a Fender BF and in going from an AC30 patch to a JCM800 patch.  I've been able to successfully go from other patches to the Fender BF and JCM800 without the brightness boost. 

I just turned everything off as in the middle of doing some patch switching back and forth a most ominous kind of deep rumbling emerged from my DT25 for about 10 seconds that I've never heard in my life.  Time to give everyone a rest...

I have had exactly the same problem. I raised it in a thread and never found out what the problem was. I don't have the issue at the moment but I don't know what fixed it or if it just went away. I am on latest Hd500 firmware v2.20.

My original thread on this issue can be found here: http://line6.com/support/topic/2181-hd500-dt25-very-bright-sound-on-patch-change/

I read your original thread from last year. Too bad nothing came of it. Like you I had first noticed it with my jtv but today it kept happening with a regular guitar. It is so frustrating because there seems to be no pattern to it.

After mucking around some more, I've concluded that the extra brightness effect happens when I am switching from an AC30 patch to something else.  When I changed the amp from AC30 to something else, the brightness boost didn't happen. 

I have no idea why this happens. It's also a fairly recent phenomenon.  I noticed in the thread from last year edstar1960 mentioned it happening when switching from a Gibtone pre and a PhD pre. 

I supposed I have created a workaround by not using the AC30, but it's not really a solution.

I updated the DT25 a few months ago to the firmware that added a bunch of amps accessible via midi. I assume that is the latest.

Is there something I could check to see if it is a situation where "the amp wants it off and the pod wants it on or vice versa" ?

Yeah 2.0 is the latest... oddly enough the DT25 firmware doesn't mention the AC30 fix, while the DT50 does.

The DT50 deals with the boost as a tube... the DT25 responds to the same midi command for the boost, but is solid state.

you might check the midi chart and add the boost command to a footswitch just to see if that's what you're experiencing...

I don't have a DT25, so i can't check for you, but it would not surprise me if this is just a firmware bit that didn't get picked up for the DT25 and requires an update.

I believe that the issue existed on the AC30 from release to 2.0, so it took a while to see that fix.

overall not anything you can't work with tone wise... but the artifacts you're experiencing aren't playable...

just saying if the amp stayed one way or the other, you could dial in around it....

if it's jumping then not so much.

I found my support ticket that I raised for this request and this is what Line 6 advised:

==================================================================================

Hi,

how is the power running to the HD500? I have seen strange things like this when an 500 is under powered.

Try switching out AC strips and try the unit in another part of your house, does it occur then?

You also might want to take the unit to a local retailer and try with another DC-3g power supply.

Thanks,
David 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

You could try an aftermarket power supply as long as the specs match:

DC 9V 3 Amp or 3000 mA

Thanks,
David

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NB: I did not replace the power supply but I don't seem to be affected by the problem at the moment.