Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ok - New User, Queston 1 - Re Dual Amp Outputs..

ricstudioc

Howdy all -

Ok - picked up the HD500X a few days back, due to some heavy gigging I'm only just now getting a chance to really sit down with it and decide if it's right for me.  (Hell no, I didn't take new, unmastered tech to a gig.  I may be slow - but I ain't stupid...)  Been scanning these boards in my few minutes of off time - lotsa good insights here, thanks to everyone who contributes!

So - I'm coming to the HD from (most of the time, I've got way too much stuff) a GNX3.  One of the things I like about the GNX was the ability to have 2 separate amps set up in a patch, and just hit a switch to change between them.  Generally I had  a Tube Screamer in front, so I'd have A) clean amp, B) clean w/Screamer (slightly crunchy), C) dirty amp (crunchier) and D) dirty amp w/Screamer (chaos...)

On the HD I set up a similar path - dual amp, one clean and one dirty.  Figured out how to assign both amps to the same footswitch, so I'm effectively "switching" between them (another question later about getting the switch LEDs "polartiy" to be where I want it).  Started testing and something kept bothering me, finally realized that when I "turn off" one of the amps, a clean-but-unprocessed signal is still coming down that side of the dual path.  i.e. - I'd have the dirty amp humming along, but I'm still hearing a clean component from the "turned off" side.

So - is there any way to truly MUTE the unused path in a dual amp setup?  FWIW for the moment I'm (unfortunately) going to be running in mono, if that makes any difference.  Oh - and certainly I COULD set up two different programs, but I'm trying to avoid that.  Establishing this configuration in a single patch is the starting point for all of my patches regardless of the device in question - having these options in a single patch is where it all begins for me.....

Like I said, I've got a window where I can return the unit if I decide it's just not right for me.  No questions about the unit per se - I like Line6 stuff - but if it's architecture can't meet my needs...

Any insights appreciated!!

Ric

On the amp that's switched off, check the channel volume (bypassed) and make sure it's zero.

BIngo!! THAT'S what was missing - for anyone searching for this later, he means the "BYP VOL" knob that takes the place of the CH VOL knob and is only visible when the channel is bypassed.  Alright - I'm one step closer to keeping this thing, thanks so much bro!  Getting this set up is my starting point....

Let me ask a followup (tho I'll mark this problem "solved") inasmuch as I'm gonna be running mono, what's my best bet for that?  Pan hard @ the mixer, put the Pan module in at the end (can it be set to one side w/no controller assigned?) - or is the summing at the 1/4" fairly phase coherent? Bear in mind - perfect world I'd like to send an XLR line to the house and it's my understanding that they are ALWAYS stereo - so it seems panning somehow is my best bet.  Waddaya think?

Thanks again, Duncann - lemme know where to send the doughnut......

Glad to be of help.

For running mono, when using the 1/4" left output, as far as I know it is phase coherent, so leaving the mixer pan control centered would be your best bet. And you shouldn't need a pan module. Keep in mind that the two paths in the signal ( A and B ) are both stereo signals.

I think you're correct in that the XLRs are always stereo so that using only the left output does not sum to mono. In this case you'd have to design the preset to be mono. I found a couple of files on this forum awhile back that deal with stereo preserving and mono summing effects. I'll attach them to the post. I wish I knew who to credit for them.

mono_stereo.rtf

Stereo Preserving FX (HD500).pdf

Glad to be of help.

For running mono, when using the 1/4" left output, as far as I know it is phase coherent, so leaving the mixer pan control centered would be your best bet. And you shouldn't need a pan module. Keep in mind that the two paths in the signal ( A and B ) are both stereo signals.

I think you're correct in that the XLRs are always stereo so that using only the left output does not sum to mono. In this case you'd have to design the preset to be mono. I found a couple of files on this forum awhile back that deal with stereo preserving and mono summing effects. I'll attach them to the post. I wish I knew who to credit for them.

Thanks again - good info to have handy.  For the moment I've settled on putting the panner at the end, no controllers, and setting it hard right.  At least this way I know that what the house is getting is the same as what I'm hearing.  I prefer to run stereo - love to hear those ping-pongs bouncing around - but current FOH configurations make it impractical for now.

And yeah - I'm startin' to feel the love for this thing - certainly a few quibbles here and there, but overall a very impressive bit o'work....