Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Static/clicking Noise On Jtv59p When Playing With Fingers

Hi there,

I have Static/Clicking noise on jtv59p when playing with fingers

For me it is most evident while quietly finger-picking on the acoustic and rockabilly models.

It is definitely since v2 as I have tried going back and forward between 1.9 and 2 and it is not there in 1.9.

I have seen it on a couple of jtv59p models (they are the only ones I have played).

It is completely different to piezo quack, it is more of a static/clicking noise when playing quietly with fingers.

I have noticed it is not there when using a plectrum, just my fingers, especially my thumb. Makes me wonder if it is a ground/electrical problem? (Complete guess).

Considering returning the guitar and giving up as it is very annoying and has been on all the ones I have tried. I am vey surprised not many people have complained.

Thanks,

Hi funkykitten,

You experience the exact same problem I'm having ever since I moved to v2.0 (which I apart from this annoying oddity overall prefer to v1.9) ... I just copied & pasted the comments I made back in October last year in another thread on that topic:

That's interesting ... I'm experiencing something very similar to what you describe there - again ever since switching to 2.0 (never experienced that with 1.9) ... But I would describe it as a 'static load' noise ... I'm using a mixture of fingerpicking & plectrum & it happens using both methods. No consistently though (hence my description of 'static load' noise), i.e. every couple of notes picked or plugged using mainly the Jazzbox position 3 I can hear a noise as if a string touches the top of the pole-piece of a pickup (think of pressing the low E string of a Strat against the pole-piece of the neck pickup amplified) ... not as pronounced, but certainly enough to annoy! It seems to be mainly the Jazzbox & Semi models (haven't found it in any other models). Unfortunate as the Jazzbox 3 is one of my mail patches to use  :o(

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Line 6, something you are aware of?      

Cheers,

Wolf

I have the same problem on my JTV-69, unfortunately the store I bought the guitar from doesn't have a return policy so i'm stuck with a clicking guitar. It annoys me since it appears on every model except the strat. If you use the alternative tunings the clicks go away. Don't know what to do but it's driving me mad. It feels like it could be a ground/electrical problem. 

Hi guys,

I phoned Line 6 support here in the UK & they tested there support guitars and they confirmed they have exactly the same problem with there 2.0 guitar, not with the older, so they suggest it is a problem with 2.0 and it would be up to Line 6 in the USA to solve the problem with a software update.

I guess what we need to do is have as many of us as we can emailing line 6 support to point out the problem and get the tide of complaint enough for them to fix it.

I shall do this myself & please everybody else do the same!

That sounds like static discharge to me.  My Strat does that in dry climates.  It helps to keep your fingers grounded somewhere but I had lots of trouble with that on my Strat.  The static discharge to the strings from your finger gets picked up by the electronics.

I sympathize with anyone having this issue...but if it's just static electricity, wouldn't whacking something metal discharge everything and solve the problem? How much static charge could one build up sitting in a chair and playing a guitar? Just seems like there's something more going on...

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, srvtsk said:

Hello, funkykitten! Have you solved this popping-clicking sounds problem? I bought JTV-59 on Ebay and it came with the very same problem. I downgraded to 1.90 and the clicks have gone. But now I'm unable to use Workbench HD. Please help!

This thread is ancient, and the OP hasn't logged onto the site for 3 years... don't bet on a reply.

2 hours ago, srvtsk said:

But what to do with that? Support said the guitar is supposed to go to service, but I do not want to pay for Line6's errors.

Well unfortunately you've already got your answer. If it needs service, it needs service...and it's either still covered under warranty, or it's not. 

I don't want to pay for car repairs, but the warranty is long gone...so either I pay up, or I'm walking to work.

Static clicking with bare fingers,... there's a loose ground point somewhere. More than likely

a chassis ground or shield somewhere in the signal path. Any other loose ground lead would be

louder and sign of a ground loop.

Also, try alcohol and a cotton swab and clean around the piezos, could be the casing not fully grounded.

Hi srvtsk,

No unfortunately I never solved it and just gave up! Have not tried looking deeply into the grounding problem though. Would seem strange that it were a grounding problem if it only happens on some models?

Would love to know if anybody finds a fix as it puts me off playing it.

Hi,

yeah I could roll back to 1.9, but aren’t the sounds better in 2.0? I thought I read the sounds were updated for 2.0 or am I imagining it?

I can’t do the service thing because my guitar is now 3 years old so definitely not under warranty.

I found this fthis version 2 onwards:

“Variax HD is a free firmware upgrade for all James Tyler® Variax® guitars. Variax HD delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6's next-generation modeling technology. The team captured more detail than ever before, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel - prefect for capturing inspired performances.”

50 minutes ago, funkykitten said:

Hi,

yeah I could roll back to 1.9, but aren’t the sounds better in 2.0? I thought I read the sounds were updated for 2.0 or am I imagining it?

I can’t do the service thing because my guitar is now 3 years old so definitely not under warranty.

"New" doesn't guarantee "better". Especially with something as entirely subjective as guitar tone...you couldn't get 10 guitarists to agree on what "better" even means. There are still plenty of guys running older firmware because they just prefer the older models. This forum is lousy with threads discussing that very topic. We guitar players are all crazy in our own special way ...the "newest" version of anything may or may not float your boat.

43 minutes ago, funkykitten said:

I found this fthis version 2 onwards:

“Variax HD is a free firmware upgrade for all James Tyler® Variax® guitars. Variax HD delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6's next-generation modeling technology. The team captured more detail than ever before, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel - prefect for capturing inspired performances.”

Advertising is.... well, it's advertising. "Try our new firmware, it sucks!" doesn't have much of a ring to it.  ;)

• 1 year later...

Just chiming in to say I have the same problem on my JTV89F. It's driving me crazy because the guitar is basically perfect in every other regard. But these little sounds come out of left field at random and are enough to kill the moment. I usually notice it when I'm playing the Jazzbox models, but that's probably just because they're the models I pair with clean amp tones most frequently. Sometimes the "pop" is heard at the moment of pick attack at the end of a long run of notes - but not necessarily the loudest of those notes. Sometimes it seems to happen when my right hand brushes against the strings, either incidental to picking motion or muting. The latter would seem to indicate a grounding issue as suggested above. The former almost seems like a buffer overrun or something, but I can't imagine why this would be intermittent on a specialized, embedded system like the Variax DSP.

Anyway, I just want to keep the discussion going in hopes Line 6 can shed some light.

Hi, psarkissian - thanks for your reply. I think we exchanged a couple of posts about this on Facebook as well.

My Variax is at the latest firmware revision, with all stock guitar model presets. (I may have tweaked string levels on the Strat settings, but definitely not on the Jazzboxes, where I most often notice the problem.) I'm running direct to Helix via VDI.

Your point about over-normalization makes sense, but it's strange that the pops don't necessarily occur during the loudest note in a given phrase. They're pretty much random, and every now and then they'll even occur in absence of a note (e.g. when the right hand is brought to rest on the strings.) I am beginning to suspect a grounding issue. Maybe the next step is to charge up a battery and retest with 1/4" instead of VDI.

" but it's strange that the pops don't necessarily occur during the loudest note in a given phrase. "--- loudest note,...

transient amplitude distortion from either gain or magnetic interaction from a mis-adjusted pick-up while in model mode.

String height adjusted too close to a pick-up can distort the signal. That can also be part of what's going on there.

• Like 1

Hi guys, sorry for taking a couple days to get back to these new replies.

to be honest I had given up on it but would love it to be fixed.

i still have the guitar but don’t play it much partly because of the click noises we are talking about.

one thing that I always wondered was that if you go back to 1.9 and it’s fine, then doesn’t that point to a software issue? If it can be fixed by different software then wish they would fix it!

Hi all,

Sorry - I meant to respond to this thread last week and never found time. Lowering magnetic pickups didn't have any effect, so I don't this is a matter of pickup magnets interacting with strings. The problem persists: a distracting little "thwipp" sound from time to time. Either static discharge or the sound of the right hand brushing across the strings, excessively amplified per a "stuck" ADSR coefficient.

I guess "it is what it is". Best workaround is to avoid these models in live performance, and expect to need to composite multiple takes when recording. It's unfortunate.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem.  I tried a different power cable, tried muting the strings, and removed my HD500 from the loop.  No luck.  Acts like a static "tick" when the strings are touched (but I'm not in a dry, static prone location).  Maybe it's a shielding issue?  Has anybody opened up the electronics to check that the shielding  is making full contact around the electronics? (It's maddening!)

• 3 years later...

My Variax standard is having the same problem when i play wit my fingers ,,, but no static when using a pick ... it's a random static noise when using fingers. I hope Line 6 are aware of this problem and find a solution in the future. This is such an awesome piece of gear.