Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Bought The 25 Combo - Couple Questions

ricstudioc

Howdy -

So just went whole hog and sprung for the DT25 112, seemed the right thing to do after getting the JTV69 and HD500x in the last week.  Haven't even powered it up yet, I'll be setting aside time to dive into it shortly.  (Yeah, I'm a patient guy...)

From perusing the boards, 2 questions come to mind -

- What is the physical methodology for checking/updating the software?  I've noted mention of a usb-midi cable, should I have received one with the amp? (it was a floor model, no box...)  Lacking that... what?  Does the HD500x serve as a go-between?

- I've noted comments about a tech bulletin (59) related to transformer issues on the DT50 - does this pertain to the 25 as well?  Any other issues I should be aware of?

OK - another question while I'm here -

- If I'm reading the manual correctly, in a HD500x/single DT setup, only the "A" amp ever gets sent to the DT, switching to "B" puts the DT on it's own front panel settings.  Does that sound right?  My preliminary setups on the HD500 are "amp switchers", if I need to rethink that now's the time.

Looking forward to juicing this puppy up!!

Ric

I love my DT.... As far as your questions

1. Yes u need a USB to MIDI cable to update your DT. And no one does not come with the amp.

2.Yes with a single DT connected via l6 link the pod preamps are sent to Channel A only. Switching to B goes to DT stand alone.

Best advice is to set it up. Shut out the world for a few hours and experiment. That's the wonderful thing about this there are no rules and u really can't break anything which leads to those moments of " I wonder what 5 delays and a reverb would sound like" where true creativity is formed. Enjoy it.... Make some horrible tones because it's through the bad ones you find the good ones..... Grasshopper.

couple of clarifications:

- the only way to do firmware updates is by midi direct to your computer.  Whatever midi connection you use is up to you.  I like many others, find the UNO mid-usb works well without breaking the bank.  You cannot do it through or with the POD.

- you CAN set up dual amp patches in your POD and use them with the DT.  However, you have to work around a bit.  You cannot turn off the amp in path A, but you can mute it by assigning the volume of both amps to the exp pedal and as one goes up the other goes down or some other tricks.  The power section will stay synced to the topology of the amp in the A channel though, no matter what.

- the transformer issue was pretty much just for certain earlier DT50s and I haven't heard of it crossing over to the DT25s...

By the way, Metalchef's response was great except I would change "hours" to "weeks".  lol...  have fun with it!   :)

I am doing something similar with recently acquired JTV-69, POD HD500, and DT50 (Head) units.

Congratulations on your Dream Rig!  I actually look forward to the exploration and learning curve.  This is my second time around with Line6, I had gone through all the learning and configuring and had used a original Variax (v500) and a POD XT/Live for a while.  I still have the original Variax, obtained a JTV-69 and am going down the road again.

My idea is to do the firmware updates first, then do the tone-chasing.

-Gary K

couple of clarifications:

- the only way to do firmware updates is by midi direct to your computer.  Whatever midi connection you use is up to you.  I like many others, find the UNO mid-usb works well without breaking the bank.  You cannot do it through or with the POD.

- you CAN set up dual amp patches in your POD and use them with the DT.  However, you have to work around a bit.  You cannot turn off the amp in path A, but you can mute it by assigning the volume of both amps to the exp pedal and as one goes up the other goes down or some other tricks.  The power section will stay synced to the topology of the amp in the A channel though, no matter what.

- the transformer issue was pretty much just for certain earlier DT50s and I haven't heard of it crossing over to the DT25s...

By the way, Metalchef's response was great except I would change "hours" to "weeks".  lol...  have fun with it!   :)

- i have a couple MIDI in/outs on my system, coincidentally an UNO is one of them, so good to go.

- Since on my tentative POD setups the "B" amp is for lead work anyway, I may just take it as it is and set the "B" on the DT for that - leave the "A" for the candy stuff.  Good point on topology, tho...

- MUCH thanks for the info on the transformer issue, sets me more at ease.  I'm buying into a new tech here, and I DO gig - reliabillty reports on the DT actually seem pretty good, just a few random problems.  But good to know, thanks!!

Oh, I'd imagine a good chunk o' my life is about to go bye-bye.  But I've got to concentrate on gig-usable stuff in the short run - in a lull right now, but at full tilt this band does 10-12 gigs a month.

Thanks all!

Ric

• Upvote 1

If you like the factory patches, great.

If not, you are not alone in the camp that thinks they are more 'you call it what you want' than useful.

It's more like 'oh you can do this too'.

Keep thinks simple in the beginning:

An amp you want to explore, maybe an overdrive and/or compressor in front and a delay and plate on the way out to the DT.

If your frequencies curve is not what you want try placing a MID focus EQ before or after the culprit.

... and enjoy the ride

Martin

• 10 months later...

Keep thinks simple in the beginning:

An amp you want to explore, maybe an overdrive and/or compressor in front and a delay and plate on the way out to the DT

Best advice yet! I would add that just because you have the ability with the Dream Rig to shift from a Treadplate to a pair of BF Doubles in the middle of a song doesn't mean that it is the most practice thing to do. Remember, this rig is doing a LOT! Switching topologies at times and reconfiguring power tubes, changing turnings etc.. There are going to be delays and pops and other sounds when making those types of changes. Keep realistic expectations and you will have a lot of fun with this rig!
  • Upvote 1