Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume hump with expression pedal

trhx

I have the built in exp pedal assigned to change the drive and volume of an amp (eg, Solo Lead OD). The volume is set to counteract the gain volume, so gain is higher at toe and lower at heel while volume is higher at heel and lower at toe. The main reason I do this is to be able to have some flexibility with the drive level between my minimum and max drive setting. It's also easier to hit the large pedal than a footswitch while I'm singing.

Getting the volumes to match at the heel and toe positions is easy, but there is a volume hump at around 40%. I've tried using the master volume and channel volume, and the master seems to make a less noticeable hump. I know master will alter the tone more, but that's ok in this case.

I don't know if the pedal is linear or logarithmic or if that would make a difference. Searching for an answer, it occurs to me I haven't tried controlling the volume with a volume pedal block instead of amp channel or master volume, so I'll try that and report back. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

You can switch the pedal from linear to logarithmic. I still wish there was more control. It doesn't seem to operate exactly the way I want it to. I think it's a taper adjustment I'm looking for.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:39 AM, trhx said:

I have the built in exp pedal assigned to change the drive and volume of an amp (eg, Solo Lead OD). The volume is set to counteract the gain volume, so gain is higher at toe and lower at heel while volume is higher at heel and lower at toe. …..

I do this too and have observed the same behaviour. I have learned to live with it because I haven’t found a way to keep the level smooth. I would welcome a solution also.

While you can change the taper from linear to logarithmic using the Curve parameter, that only applies to an FX block like Vol and perhaps Wah. There is no such Curve parameter associated with the pedal itself, so it is not applicable when using a pedal as a controller for another block’s parameter(s).

• Like 1

Some amps seem more affected than others. Eg, the Soldano OD amp has a more noticeable hump than the PV Panama high gain amp. However, the Soldano hump is not very noticeable with the full band playing, so I've decided not to obsess over it if I keep that amp as my primary. For the same reason, I didn't try it with a volume pedal block. Maybe I'll get a wild hair and do it at some point.

Thanks for the responses.