Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Black Metal Preset

gitapik

Hi. I've got an HX Stomp and a Fractal FM9. Love both.

I've also got a daughter who I love even more. She and her boyfriend are going to have the house to themselves while my wife and I are gone for a week.

He's a guitarist who's very into Black Metal. I'm not (though I love Satriani and Vai) and know nothing about the genre and it's different categories.

But I'd like him to feel at home. I'm sure he'll love my LP but he knows less about modelers than I do Black Metal. So I'm looking for some suggestions of a Preset or two to turn him on to.

Thanks.

I reckon I know less than both of you put together about the genre, but the freebie's of these have to be worth a shot.

https://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=&sort=rating&sort_dir=desc&search_term=black+metal+helix

If they don't use lots of blocks/DSP the Helix ones might work in the stomp - you can check them here https://dbagchee.github.io/helix-preset-viewer/ or in Helix Native, which you can use to edit them to fit the stomp.

On 5/18/2024 at 11:43 AM, gitapik said:

Hi. I've got an HX Stomp and a Fractal FM9. Love both.

I've also got a daughter who I love even more. She and her boyfriend are going to have the house to themselves while my wife and I are gone for a week.

He's a guitarist who's very into Black Metal. I'm not (though I love Satriani and Vai) and know nothing about the genre and it's different categories.

But I'd like him to feel at home. I'm sure he'll love my LP but he knows less about modelers than I do Black Metal. So I'm looking for some suggestions of a Preset or two to turn him on to.

Thanks.

It´s been like four years since I last posted on this forum. Since most guitar players who regularly post on this forum and use the Helix aren´t metal players, dislike the genre and don´t even listen to True Norwegian Black Metal (Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor and of course not Gorgoroth and his poser singer)... I´m gonna help you out building a preset from scratch to get that fat, nasty, and greatest guitar sound in History called the "Swedish Chainsaw" sound. In order to get that, the BOSS HM-2 pedal is fundamental, as well as using the crappiest solid state ever like the Peavey Bandit. Varg Vikernes from Burzum gave specific instructions to Eirik "Pytten" Hundvin (music producer) to use the worst equipment available in order to create a new sound called "the Corpse sound" which gave Norwegian Black Metal an identity of its own.

Enough talking. Built-in noise gate first at the beginning, LA-2A Compressor, Swedish Chainsaw with ALL KNOBS TURNED MAX MAX MAX MAX (quoting the swedish death metal band Entombed guitarrist), Deez One Vintage (BOSS DS-1) or Stupor OD (Boss SD-1) fourth, Noise Gate fifth to kill the snowball of noise, a clean amp alla Jazz Rivet or US Double Twin, Tilt EQ 75% dark. End. No Reverb, No delay, nothing else. Amp Tone stack to your own taste, focusing on the Mids and lowering the highs and presence.

True Norwegian Black Metal. Hahahahaha.

Hope your son likes it. I play the classics with that. Sounds great. The sound has changed from the early 90s and became something really refined and crisp thanks to Eirik "Pytten" Hundvin experience in the studio and musicians like legendary Olve Eikemo (Abbath), Harald Naevdal (Demonaz) and bands like Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir and so forth.

If you want something more refined and not so True, just boost a Brit 2024 with a Scream 808 or a Vermin Dist. Once again no reverb. No delay. Pretty bare bones.

And prepare to have a nordic blizzard at home.

If anyone feels disgusted by the guitar tone or the tone of my comment, be happy. That´s the intention.

Bye.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 9:28 PM, BAmartin said:

It´s been like four years since I last posted on this forum. Since most guitar players who regularly post on this forum and use the Helix aren´t metal players, dislike the genre and don´t even listen to True Norwegian Black Metal (Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor and of course not Gorgoroth and his poser singer)... I´m gonna help you out building a preset from scratch to get that fat, nasty, and greatest guitar sound in History called the "Swedish Chainsaw" sound. In order to get that, the BOSS HM-2 pedal is fundamental, as well as using the crappiest solid state ever like the Peavey Bandit. Varg Vikernes from Burzum gave specific instructions to Eirik "Pytten" Hundvin (music producer) to use the worst equipment available in order to create a new sound called "the Corpse sound" which gave Norwegian Black Metal an identity of its own.

Enough talking. Built-in noise gate first at the beginning, LA-2A Compressor, Swedish Chainsaw with ALL KNOBS TURNED MAX MAX MAX MAX (quoting the swedish death metal band Entombed guitarrist), Deez One Vintage (BOSS DS-1) or Stupor OD (Boss SD-1) fourth, Noise Gate fifth to kill the snowball of noise, a clean amp alla Jazz Rivet or US Double Twin, Tilt EQ 75% dark. End. No Reverb, No delay, nothing else. Amp Tone stack to your own taste, focusing on the Mids and lowering the highs and presence.

True Norwegian Black Metal. Hahahahaha.

Hope your son likes it. I play the classics with that. Sounds great. The sound has changed from the early 90s and became something really refined and crisp thanks to Eirik "Pytten" Hundvin experience in the studio and musicians like legendary Olve Eikemo (Abbath), Harald Naevdal (Demonaz) and bands like Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir and so forth.

If you want something more refined and not so True, just boost a Brit 2024 with a Scream 808 or a Vermin Dist. Once again no reverb. No delay. Pretty bare bones.

And prepare to have a nordic blizzard at home.

If anyone feels disgusted by the guitar tone or the tone of my comment, be happy. That´s the intention.

Bye.

Missed this. I won't bore you with the details. Let's just say nobody ever said it was gonna be easy...

The lad is gone, at this point but he'll be back soon enough. I'll set this up and let him fly. Thanks!

BTW: I used to have the Heavy Metal 2. Paired it on my board with a Butler Real Tube. Great sounds for all genres. Swapped it for a modded Metal Zone which I still have, to this day.

And the Peavey Bandit was and still is a great amp. I used to play through an Artist and still have my original Backstage amp.

Thanks, again!