Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

To Sub Or Not To Sub, That Is The Question...

I use the same adaptors, I used a drill to get those slots a little closer together and was able to mount it using two of the existing screws atop the L3t.  I have 2 sets of these lights http://www.yorkville.com/lighting/lp_series/product/lp-led2/ and this controller http://www.yorkville.com/lighting/lp_series/product/lp-c4/.  It's a small compact lighting set up that is extremely powerful and flexible, and easily fits on top of the L3ts.  In fact I use the Line 6 poles, if I am using the short poles between the L3s and the L3t, I use the long poles to mount the lights on top of the l3t and vice versa.  It saves a lot of stage space.

I used one of these - http://accessories.yorkville.com/stands_accessories/speaker_lighting/hardware_accessories/product/sks-adapt/

And removed one of the screws from the top of the l3t and mounted the above adapter. I tried to get two screws through, but, I think I couldn't get them to line up, so left it with one. If one doesn't hold it, then the speaker is probably going over anyway! I will get a picture for you. (And will start a new thread or join one on lights/speakers...this one has gone off track a bit)

thanks - gonna try that. Save an extra tripod on stage

The L3s arrived today - right on time from Sweetwater - FedEx guy threw out his back getting it off the truck. Well, not really, but he didn't look happy!  Yay free shipping!!!!!

This thing is HUGE - but the handles AND WHEELS on it make it so much more manageable than my old Mackie 1801. I also got the case for it - and I have to say again, Someone at Line 6 is actually thinking about how to design things. The handles, wheels, and now the case with the cutouts for the handles AND even a little side holder for the long pole and/or power cable and short cable I suppose. I got the cases for the L3t's as well - and those have the wheels built into the cases rather than the speaker. The wheels help a LOT! I also got the "dust cover" for the M20d, or as ColonelForbin said, "Beer repeller." Probably won't see much beer in my line of work - maybe "Communion wine repeller"?

So - M20d, two L3t's, L3s, small pole, cables - I'm set! I'll give it a preliminary run through tonight, then get ready for Easter Sunday.

Thanks all for your input in this thread! Even the off-topic stuff. It's funny how a simple question gets something going - but it's REALLY HELPFUL to see what people are doing and how/why.

Larry

• Upvote 1

Pierre,

You mentioned you were using a Bose L1.  My current setup is an M20d and 2 Bose L1model 2's with B2 bass bins (run in stereo).  We are an acoustic band, 2 guitars and keys playing a range of rock from classic to current.  Even without a drummer I have never been happy with the bass response from the Bose system.  At low volumes it is fine but in larger bars and such, even with proper eq-ing, it always seems to lack punch. 

I just ordered a L3S from Sweetwater, and intend to run it via the link to see if I can clean up the bottom end.  I'm just not sure if this will work, or am I dealing with the inherent limitations of the Bose L1's.   I do like the mid and high end response we get from the L1's and the light weight, easy set-up, and ability to set them behind us and use them for FOH as well as monitors.   I have thought about going to the dream system, but really don't want to lug all that equipment and have to introduce monitors and such.  What has your experience been with the L-1's?  

Well for what it's worth I used to run 2 Bose L1 model IIs with B2s before switching over to this system.  I had the monitors for a bit but switched to in ears which you can do if everything is running through the system, so that cut down some of the lugging related to the switch.  At the end of the day.. I loved the sound of the Bose and no monitors for a large number of the gigs that we played but there were some gigs that the Bose just couldn't cut it.  There is a little more lugging but ultimately I can fit the 2XL3t, 2XL3s, M20d, along with my pedal board, compact lighting, 2 guitars and in ear monitor set ups into my Mazda CX-5.  And the load in and out is pretty quick and so is setup ... from that point of view not much difference over the Bose.  I'm very happy with the decision.. it sounds better, and those venues where the Bose wouldn't cut it, the dream system has plenty to spare ... I have yet to be able to get the master up to 0db... I think the loudest I've been able to turn it up to is -12db.  And that was in a huge wedding reception hall.

• Upvote 1

Just to close a loop on this - OP here - Line6tony hadn't been able to recover this topic (lost with several others last weekend), so I reported back on my first use of the system - including the L3s that people here pretty much demanded that I get for my system. It was an unqualified success. Here is the thread I reported back in:

http://line6.com/support/topic/7142-to-sub-or-not-to-sub-redux-reporting-in-l3s-use/

Thanks Line6tony for your work in restoring the posts, and to all for your encouragement!

Larry

• Upvote 1