Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit Are Nowhere To Be Found!

I decided to move on from the HD 500 to the Kemper Profiler.

I own a JTV-59 and would prefer NOT to use batteries to power it. I did use the Variax cable in conjunction with the HD 500, but that will be going away. Ive searched high and low for the cabled power kit. Even called Line 6 tech support & parts. It seems like they just disappeared all of a sudden and no one knows if they are even being made anymore.

Found used one online, but thats about it.

Thats pretty scary for those of us that own the Tyler Variax that may decided to use other sound units.

post-1548578-0-34547300-1397182388_thumb.png

They are out of stock at EVERY vendor. Several Ive spoken to have no clue if they are getting any more. As I said, even tech support and the part department seemed surprised when I brought this to their attention. 

Maybe they switched Chinese manufacturers. That the only positive scenario I can think of.

like any factory, they probably just do things in batches....

more efficient that way... so they are probably on a production schedule somewhere to be built.

it was never something that anyone carried a large amount of stock on.

I think it will eventually come back in stock... but doubt it is high priority for them, and probably will be slow to come back.

same thing happened in the not so distant past and ebay was the only way to get them for at least 6 months if i recall correctly.

Batteries are not an option. They fail over extended periods of time.

Money is not an issue for me. A reliable power source over time is.

Found one that never been used on ebay. That will solve my problem nicely.

I second a vote for using the battery. If you're worried about being too dependent on a single battery, just buy a second one. I've played dozens of gigs with my JTV-69 using the battery, and it's been fine. The life on the batteries is long enough that if you have a fully charged one ready to go at the gig, you should be golden.

• Upvote 1

As I said, batteries not an option. Found the cabled power kit I wanted. Moving on.

Friendly thread...I feel used and I didn't even reply to it.

like any factory, they probably just do things in batches....

more efficient that way... so they are probably on a production schedule somewhere to be built.

it was never something that anyone carried a large amount of stock on.

I think it will eventually come back in stock... but doubt it is high priority for them, and probably will be slow to come back.

same thing happened in the not so distant past and ebay was the only way to get them for at least 6 months if i recall correctly.

Ever the optimist I see.  Good for you, but I don't share it myself. I feel the JTV and POD HD Lines are an endangered species myself.

• Upvote 1

Much like i'm sure you know many things i don't....

I might know a bit more about this than is public.

sure, i'm optimistic... but my statements aren't based on pure optimism.

Friendly thread...I feel used and I didn't even reply to it.

Ever the optimist I see.  Good for you, but I don't share it myself. I feel the JTV and POD HD Lines are an endangered species myself.

Much like i'm sure you know many things i don't....

I might know a bit more about this than is public.

sure, i'm optimistic... but my statements aren't based on pure optimism.

I surely hope so my friend...I'm glad to hear it.  If I can get convinced, I might just spring for a pair of L2 series stage source speakers or a DT25 amp ;) 

Right now, I'm hedged against furthering my already considerable investment in a JTV59 and POD HD500 until I see something from Line6 indicating a commitment to the whole Dream Rig concept going forward.

HA! I just got one thats never been used on ebay for about half price. Time to pack the HD 500 away in its original box and introduce my JTV-59 to my Kemper. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship ( with a tip of the hat to Casablanca.)  :D  .

Don't have a Kemper personally, I use an Axe-FX II.... But I have heard of people using the HD500 purely as a MIDI controller with the Axe-FX II.... So in theory, if you needed a foot controller for the Kemper... You may be able to use an HD500 or HD500x and incorporate the VDI power cable.

Just a thought.

Good thought bmf. I tried using it as such by building some midi control patches others have designed for exactly that purpose . It didnt do all I needed. So I got a Behringer 1010 with a EurekaProm 2 chip that does more then what I need.   :D. The HD 500 will go back in its original box and keep my other old midi equipment company in the garage. :(

BTW. the JTV-59 and the Kemper rack sound amazing together!

Dang.. Now this looks like a useful little gadget! For being able to send an XLR di out, that is a *cool* feature. I am thinking in terms of using the JTV acoustic model through a different route than the regular electric models... Though, the same thing can be done with an HD500 using the FX loop send.

Interestingly enough, it uses a 1/4" cable to send power to the JTV, so the VDI out would still be functional. Though sending the JTV power from two sources seems like a sure fire way to fry something badly!

I may be imagining things, but it did seem like the VDI input to the HD500 sounded better than the 1/4", I guess it's worth doing a proper A/B comparison, especially as the input settings do seem to play a role in dialing in good tone.

Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit

"We Have More on Order:

Line 6 has informed us that this item has an unusually long shipping delay. Place your pre-order now to reserve yours - if you need a solution fast, call your Sales Engineer to learn about possible alternatives to this product."

I may be imagining things, but it did seem like the VDI input to the HD500 sounded better than the 1/4", I guess it's worth doing a proper A/B comparison, especially as the input settings do seem to play a role in dialing in good tone.

You are not alone - others on this forum have reported hearing differences and some prefer using the 1/4" over the VDI - there are obviously differences in where the A/D and D/A conversion occurs and that may result in an audible difference to some - so your best bet is to A/B them both and see whether you do hear any difference and if so, which connection you prefer.

NB: Remember that using the 1/4" means you lose the ability to control the JTV from the HD500 - so if that is important to you then you may be forced to stick with the VDI regardless of whether you prefer it over the 1/4" out.

NB: Remember that using the 1/4" means you lose the ability to control the JTV from the HD500 - so if that is important to you then you may be forced to stick with the VDI regardless of whether you prefer it over the 1/4" out.

Why not use both, then?  Setting the HD500 inputs to guitar doesn't stop it from sending control information on the VDI cable, does it?

Why not use both, then?  Setting the HD500 inputs to guitar doesn't stop it from sending control information on the VDI cable, does it?

Good idea!  I never thought of that! A word of caution though - I have tried using VDI and 1/4" with the 1/4" going to a different amp and that resulted in an earth loop situation - but having JTV connected in two ways to the HD500 should not cause an earth loop but could it cause any other funky issues?   Anyone tried this already?

Good idea!  I never thought of that! A word of caution though - I have tried using VDI and 1/4" with the 1/4" going to a different amp and that resulted in an earth loop situation - but having JTV connected in two ways to the HD500 should not cause an earth loop but could it cause any other funky issues?   Anyone tried this already?

Yes, and I did encounter some amount of ground/earth loop issues. I ended up running everything from a single outlet, and it helped somewhat. I was wondering though, will there be / is there any latency issue? In terms of, I would probably need to do a clean test to figure it out, but do the VDI out and the 1/4" out "align" in time?

I was running my JTV with VDI to my HD500, and 1/4" to my Eleven Rack, both of those stereo out to the M20d, for recording, then from the M20d to a pair of L2t's. Overall, it was wayyy too much fun tweaking sounds, which means I'd be a mess on stage trying to get two patches sorted at once.

Though it did give me some cool ideas, for doing looper jams with the HD500, while messing with different tones for noodling / leads and such on the Eleven Rack.

I suppose the easiest way to determine if there is any latency, would be set up the HD500 with dual inputs, VDI and 1/4". Don't put any FX blocks, set up two amp models, make them the same, for dual channel, and record them both, panned hard left and right, and then look at the .WAV files in Pro Tools or some such audio software. Do some distinct staccato hits with silence between, zoom way in on the .wav's, and look to see if the peaks align visually

I suppose the easiest way to determine if there is any latency, would be set up the HD500 with dual inputs, VDI and 1/4". Don't put any FX blocks, set up two amp models, make them the same, for dual channel, and record them both, panned hard left and right, and then look at the .WAV files in Pro Tools or some such audio software. Do some distinct staccato hits with silence between, zoom way in on the .wav's, and look to see if the peaks align visually

That sounds like an idea and I think it would work and give you a definitive answer.   It would also allow you to A/B the resultant sounds from both VDI and 1/4" to determine if there are audible differences that you can hear.   

I would think that there will not be any noticeable latency but there must be an infinitesimal time difference based on the signal routing.

Strings -> piezo -> A/D conversion into JTV model -> VDI -> process in HD500 amp block -> D/A conversion for output

Strings -> piezo -> A/D conversion into JTV model -> D/A conversion to 1/4" -> 1/4" cable -> A/D conversion of 1/4" in HD500 -> process in HD500 amp block -> D/A conversion for output

• Upvote 1

Yes, and I did encounter some amount of ground/earth loop issues. I ended up running everything from a single outlet, and it helped somewhat. I was wondering though, will there be / is there any latency issue? In terms of, I would probably need to do a clean test to figure it out, but do the VDI out and the 1/4" out "align" in time?

Sorry for not being clear - but my question "Anyone tried this already?" was aimed at whether anyone had tried connecting the VDI and 1/4" cables from same JTV to the same HD500 at same time.     

because some people think complicating their setup enhances their tone :D

might be some minor difference in the sound that comes across, but i can make much bigger differences by twisting other knobs!

I am still not sure why you want to do this.  You can separate the mags and models with the VDI input.  And you can use the VDI input as input 1 or 2.

• Upvote 1

because some people think complicating their setup enhances their tone :D

might be some minor difference in the sound that comes across, but i can make much bigger differences by twisting other knobs!

To clarify, the last few posts concerned comparing the VDI connection with the 1/4" to see whether they sounded different through the HD500. The suggestion of using both together was if someone preferred the 1/4" connection sound but still wanted the Hd500 to control the JTV model changes, that led to the idea of using that setup to record both signals simultaneously for comparison purposes and to see if there was any latency differences. I don't think anyone was considering using both VDI and 1/4" together to produce a particular tone or effect. :)

yeah i knew what you meant, all good.

To clarify, the last few posts concerned comparing the VDI connection with the 1/4" to see whether they sounded different through the HD500. The suggestion of using both together was if someone preferred the 1/4" connection sound but still wanted the Hd500 to control the JTV model changes, that led to the idea of using that setup to record both signals simultaneously for comparison purposes and to see if there was any latency differences. I don't think anyone was considering using both VDI and 1/4" together to produce a particular tone or effect. :)

OP here.  :D   Took delivery of the Cabled Power kit I got for a deal on ebay. Never been used. It is EXACTLY what I wanted for my JTV-59. Apparently can also be used with my Jackson Soloist SL1 USA without fear of it being damaged. SCORE!!