Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anyone know what are the magnetic polarities and winding ends of each of the 4 colors for the pickups of a JTV-89f? Which colors correspond to north start, north finish, south start and south finish. This is in order to install a new set of pickups in a JTV-89f and the diagrams that are available doesn't show that information.

Thanks.

Yes, that's it. As you might know the association of colors to polarities and pole pieces will vary depending on the manufacturer and based on the diagram you can assume the correspondence of colors but you can't be sure if you're right.

I have created a ticket in the tech support section regarding this topic but since I don´t know if the necessary info will be provides, I have installed the pickup with the following results.

I removed the stock pickup and found out that the manufacturer  is a Korean company named G & B, I looked for information on the Internet about this company but didn´t find anything. 

Below is the link with the image of the original wiring which is the same that you can see in the diagram provided by Line 6. Red to W8, Green to W7, White to W6 and Black to W9. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/israz99/13861877024/

The pickup that I put is a SD Distortion and which has the same colors for the 4 cables as the G & B pickup but the association of colors to the north pole and south pole pieces and polarities varies from one pickup to the other. So I made several combination to see what was the one that sounded the best and the best one in my opinion was White to W8, , Green to W7, Red to W6 and Black to W9. Below is the link with the image of the new wiring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/israz99/13861876164/

This combination not only sounds the best but also the coil tap works in position no. 2 and there's absolutely no hum noise in humbucker mode while in coil tap the noise is the same as in the coil tap of the neck humbucker.

Below is the link with the image of my guitar with the new pickup. The stock pickup was not bad but the new pickup is way better, specially for metal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/israz99/13861642463/

Anyway I'll wait for the tech support answer and see if I can get the information that confirms that I did it right or not.

Well, below is the answer form Line 6 to my request:

"I'm sorry but the wiring diagrams of our products are not available to the public.  We can only give them out to our authorized service centers.  Thanks for your patience on the matter."

Certainly this is disappointing since such easy and safe piece of information is not provided to a customer who spent USD 1,4999 in a product. Fortunately and with great effort from my side I have installed the pickup but this is big drawback when considering buying another Line 6 in the future and I've been considering getting a Relay or a Stagesource system. Definitely not a good way of making business for a company. 

Quizá te interese ver este hilo que empecé hace un par de meses. 
También quiero hacerle algo de obra a mi JTV, y necesitaba ver cómo era el selector de pastillas por dentro,
para saber si podía añadir una pastilla de medios y unos Triple Shots de Duncan.
Hay fotos del interior de dos modelos de selector, el de una JTV89 y el de una 69 (creo)

Nice post ty

Now that I see colors and soldering points I have a question.

On my 89f on magnetic position #2 I'd like to have 2 half humbucker in parallel (strat sound) instead of bridge half humbucker. Wich wire I should move where?

On my 89f on magnetic position #2 I'd like to have 2 half humbucker in parallel (strat sound) instead of bridge half humbucker. Wich wire I should move where?

You can't just move wires to get that result, sorry, there's more to it. You'd have to change the selector, or at least a part of it.

The inside of the selector can be seen here. The splits are hardwired, I mean, the contacts that allow the splits are printed on the selector.

If you know a bit of guitar electronics you'll get why.

That´s right, what I did was easy because I was just replacing cable but in order to change the pickup configuration you got to messed up with the wiring in the switch and maybe other things since the JTV´s doesn't´t have a traditional wiring. Also it becomes more difficult if Line & doesn't´t provide any additional information.

• 10 months later...

JTV 89

Red to W8  North Start +  , Green to W7  North Finish -  , Black (Ground) W9  South Finish - ,  White to W6  South Start +

Sample Dimarzio:

Red to W8  North Start +  , Black to W7  North Finish -  ,White (Ground) W9 South Finish - ,  Green to W6 South Start + 

->Link<-

;)