Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise When Using Battery Power With James Tyler Variax

I recently purchased a James Tyler Variax and have always used it with a variax cable connected to my pod hd500.  I just tried for the first time using the battery power to connect it using the 1/4 inch mono cable output to a preamp and am getting a large dose of noise.  It is a buzzing sound rather than white noise.  I do not have the hi z on.  I never get this noise using the variax cable to the hd500.  I tried putting directly into my audio interface into my computer rather than the preamp and am having the same issue.  The problem is there whether I use the pickups or the modeling.  Is there a known problem with using the battery and creating noise?  I can hear the guitar, but the noise makes it unusable for recording.  I was trying to add some warmth from my tube preamp.  The battery is fully charged.  Thanks

Nope.  It should be dead quiet - with the modeling.  You will get noise  pickup with the mags just like you would with any mag pickup guitar.  Single coils are worse.  You don't say which you have.  Mine is great with battery.  I use battery when I use my tube amps without the 500x.  I use the VDI cable when I use the 500x.  The VDI is the way to go when using the Pod anyway.

I have the 69.  Maybe there is something wrong.  I get the noise whether I'm using the mags or modeling when trying to use the battery.  I tried it today with the old variax's trs stereo power box and it worked great with no noise from the mags or the modeling.  Weird.  I'll try and give support a call on Monday.  Thanks