Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal Interference/dropouts G55/xd-v75

Digital-sound

I have what is a big "no no" I am sure, but everything has worked, but last two gigs have been not so good.

I have a rack with my stagescape M20d, a Mac mini, an airport express router, a relay g55 receiver for bass, and a xd-v75 receiver for mic. And, (I know...bad bad bad), two wireless Shure IEM transmitters.

Everything always works great at soundcheck. No problems, and I can go across the room with no drop outs. Room was about a quarter full with people. (Last night that would be about 25 people in a 125 person pub).

We start our night, all good. I use dmxis on my macmini to control lights, and I remote with my ipad. I often don't have the ipad connected to the Mac mini because I only have a few light presets I step back and forth with a foot pedal so I don't need to see the program. About the third set of four, with the pub FULL, the sound/connectivity was still going very well. I lost my place in my light program so I quickly connected to the Mac mini to see what was up with dmxis. When I did, I started getting interference in my IEM's, and the g55 started having dropouts. Meter on front going crazy (signal bar up and down). The mic was fine (xd-v75).

The iPads connect to the 5GHz network. But, being an airport express, I cannot turn off the 2.4GHz. Does anyone know if that was the problem? I have both transmitters in rf1 mode (to be honest, I will have to check the g55. It was in rf1, but I did change batteries after sound check, but before the start of the first set...would it default back to rf2?). Because the problem happened exactly when I connected the ipad to the mac, I am wondering if something "woke up"? The ipad was already connected to the network. We have 4 iPads connected all night to the 5GHz network.

Aside from moving the IEM's transmitters (which didn't seem to be a problem), can anyone explain what may have been going on? Seems wifi related more than a "transmitter/receiver in the same rack" problem.

Edit: in the fourth set, things had gone back to very acceptable. The problem was somewhat short lived, and settled right down once I closed the VNC program. I think I had one small drop out which was not noticed by anyone.

First I would advise moving your router out of the rack or move the receivers antennas. Transmitters no matter the frequency should not be in close proximity to receivers antennas.

Unfortunately you cannot shut off the 2.4g on the airport express so it is always interfering with any other 2.4g systems you might have in the room.

Switching batteries should not have changed rf modes. But you should be able to see it in the transmitter when it is switched on in the LCD window. Of course if somehow it ended up in rf2 while the others were in rf1 I would expect problems.

Ok, I will first attempt moving things as far away from each other as possible. I can put IEM's and router right at the bottom of the rack, and I can put the receivers antennas on the top at back. Kind of above/behind the m20d. At the back of the "slant top" rack. Will try that first. Of there is still problems, the I guess I will need a separate rack for receivers and tansmetters. Which I know is the best solutions. I am just hoping to keep as small of a rig as possible.

Thanks,