Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connect Podhd500x Via L6 Link Or 4cm...?

GazzaBloom

I haven't tried this yet but is there going to be any difference or advantage of connecting PODHD500X to DT25 via 4CM instead of L6 Link? Especially as I just want to use the POD for effects only?

I find that using a 'null' amp over L6 Link leaves the effects sounds kind of weak.

Gazza

a horrible disadvantage as a mess of cabling and complication you don't need... a limit to a single topology, no access to many of the internal power amp settings, etc. when Line6LINK will work brilliantly if you'd spend less time insisting that it won't and more time figuring out where you're going wrong.

although people like what they like...

you're just over complicating it in my opinion.

if you can't get a good tone with that setup over L6LINK then you aren't turning the right knobs or changing the right settings.

would you just stick with a single thread on your journey....

it's all related to the same thing, and you open up a new thread every day hoping to get different answers.

a horrible disadvantage as a mess of cabling and complication you don't need... a limit to a single topology, no access to many of the internal power amp settings, etc. when Line6LINK will work brilliantly if you'd spend less time insisting that it won't and more time figuring out where you're going wrong.

although people like what they like...

you're just over complicating it in my opinion.

if you can't get a good tone with that setup over L6LINK then you aren't turning the right knobs or changing the right settings.

would you just stick with a single thread on your journey....

it's all related to the same thing, and you open up a new thread every day hoping to get different answers.

Thanks to some other members useful suggestions I have found a solution, no thanks to you and your 'holier than thou' attitude. I will be happy to make no further posts or contributions to these forums for fear of your condescending reprimands.

I'm out and you can FO

I tried to help you many times, each time met with you basically telling me that i was wrong...

now that you find that i may have been right all along... i'm the a-hole.

let me personally invite you to stick around... lots more to learn and music to be made...

I've been on these forums for nearly a decade... and although not always right... i do tend to know what i'm talking about (assuming i've understood the question).

again you're welcome to stick around, make friends and interact with the community as a whole...

if you choose not to, then best of luck going forward, you have some nice gear and i hope you enjoy it.

Thanks to some other members useful suggestions I have found a solution, no thanks to you and your 'holier than thou' attitude. I will be happy to make no further posts or contributions to these forums for fear of your condescending reprimands.

I'm out and you can FO

Thanks

Zap, you show great patience and give great advice. 

I haven't tried this yet but is there going to be any difference or advantage of connecting PODHD500X to DT25 via 4CM instead of L6 Link? Especially as I just want to use the POD for effects only?

I find that using a 'null' amp over L6 Link leaves the effects sounds kind of weak.

Gazza

The thing to keep in mind, is that the DT amps don't quite behave like normal amps in this situation. By that, I mean that when you 4CM to the DT, using "no amp" in the HD500, you are still choosing "an amp" on the DT. Well, to be more specific, a preamp, along with the corresponding typology and poweramp settings. So while you can technically use the HD500 for just FX, no amp; it doesn't exactly achieve what you would get using the 4CM with a "normal" amp. I realize that response isn't particularly full of clarity, but it's worth taking the time to understand that the "amp" preamps coded into the DT25 are the *same exact* amp model preamps coded into the HD500. One way you could approach getting a better tone using the Link, would be to find a few amp models you like, then start switching around the other settings - in particular the typology settings and the poweramp settings - pentode, triode, etc.

Also, not sure this was mentioned in your previous excursions seeking answers, but they manner in which the DT responds seems to favor using the "PRE" amp model choices, which allow the DT itself to model the poweramp stages and such - by PRE they mean, literally, just the preamp portion of the amp model.

So I can see what you might be hearing as unfavorable, comparing the HD modelling portions of each amp model vs the DT doing those amp models as a combination of the preamp stage, coupled with the Bogner tube and analog portions.

The L6Link function is really solid, just takes some getting used to. I used my HD500 from 2010-2014 with whatever amps or speakers I could get my hands on, then finally went with a DT25 early this year. I am still re-thinking how I should be programming my patches and thinking about the how and what and why of the interaction between the digital modelling and the poweramp "Actual" tube stuff.

Good luck, don't let frustration get the best of you; it's worth finding the answers you seek, just keep at it - maybe seeing things from a different perspective will help. :)

Well said. I toyed with other amps and the 4cm and once I bought the DT25 I can't believe how much time I wasted trying other solutions. L6link works so well.

The thing to keep in mind, is that the DT amps don't quite behave like normal amps in this situation. By that, I mean that when you 4CM to the DT, using "no amp" in the HD500, you are still choosing "an amp" on the DT. Well, to be more specific, a preamp, along with the corresponding typology and poweramp settings. So while you can technically use the HD500 for just FX, no amp; it doesn't exactly achieve what you would get using the 4CM with a "normal" amp. I realize that response isn't particularly full of clarity, but it's worth taking the time to understand that the "amp" preamps coded into the DT25 are the *same exact* amp model preamps coded into the HD500. One way you could approach getting a better tone using the Link, would be to find a few amp models you like, then start switching around the other settings - in particular the typology settings and the poweramp settings - pentode, triode, etc.

Also, not sure this was mentioned in your previous excursions seeking answers, but they manner in which the DT responds seems to favor using the "PRE" amp model choices, which allow the DT itself to model the poweramp stages and such - by PRE they mean, literally, just the preamp portion of the amp model.

So I can see what you might be hearing as unfavorable, comparing the HD modelling portions of each amp model vs the DT doing those amp models as a combination of the preamp stage, coupled with the Bogner tube and analog portions.

The L6Link function is really solid, just takes some getting used to. I used my HD500 from 2010-2014 with whatever amps or speakers I could get my hands on, then finally went with a DT25 early this year. I am still re-thinking how I should be programming my patches and thinking about the how and what and why of the interaction between the digital modelling and the poweramp "Actual" tube stuff.

Good luck, don't let frustration get the best of you; it's worth finding the answers you seek, just keep at it - maybe seeing things from a different perspective will help. :)

I must say.  For an unpaid (other than free gear) volunteer, the Experts here are actually quite helpful.  If folks post the same questions without using the magical search tool, they may tire of responding.  I don't hold this against them, as in my line of work I constantly get asked the same questions by folks too lazy to look it up themselves.  I'm nowhere near a fanboy, and I appreciate that the Experts aren't either.  They generally call it like it is.  So if you received a "condescending" reply, chances are it took several posts to get to that point.  Maybe reread your posts and see if your message came across a little less than civil in a strictly text format.  Good luck, and I hope you stick around.