Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x For Tunings?

justcrash

• 8 months later...

I don't use a 'glide'. I don't need to detune live. 

But at home, when learning songs I use the tuner to adjust to various tunings so I can learn in the right finger position regardless of the heard note. 

So here is my opinion... 

As with any effect. Where you put it in the chain makes a difference. 

I have no problem with 'quality'. 

I use it all the time and it works great.  I have the Pitch Glide as the first FX in the chain, which I've heard is the only way to do it.  I only use it for tuning down a half step.  I've tried it for tuning down more and it worked fine.  Don't know why other people are having problems with this.

• Upvote 1

Hi all, in an effort to avoid bring 3 guitars to a gig, does anyone use the pitch glide to set up a patch say, in Eb for certain tunes, or even lower? If so, does it do the trick?

This is cheaper than a JTV:  http://digitech.com/en/products/the-drop

I've been curious whether or not a new firmware version of the HD could handle polyphonic pitch shifting that is becoming popular in more and more effects pedals these days.  I don't know if it has the horsepower to do it or not.  We'll see...

The link to my patch shows the settings for a half step down tuning.

Joel, unless I looked at it wrong, your patch had it set so the expression pedal controlled the pitch. Maybe I don't understand how to decipher that?

Regardless, I figured it out tonight and it works great! I really appreciate everyone's help!

If I remember right it's 50% for standard tuning and 48% drops it 1/2 step. That's using HDEdit. I don't know if it's different when doing it directly into the PODHD.

Yeah, I did -1 for Eb, -2 for D. Just messed with it a bit. :)

Ok, question: If I want it a half a step down, what should my "pitch" be set to? And why couldn't they just call it "Half step", "full step" etc?

On the 500, as stated above, each full number is a half-step. 

-1 E becomes Eb. -5 E becomes B. -12 E becomes E. +1 E becomes F. +5 E becomes A. +12 E becomes E. 

The reason why its not listed as 'half step' --- I do not work for Line6 so I don't know the answer. 

But it makes sense to not call it a half step because there are so many steps inbetween 0 and 1. 

For example: 

Your G-string runs at 196hz. If you tuned down 1/2 step, you would be playing 185hz. What if you wanted to play 190hz? 

Its not a half step, it is something else. What would you do if you were limited to 1/2 step and whole step? You're screwed. 

Sure, it makes sense to have a half step tuning. And maybe on a next release, they can work on a physical switch that sits beside the ground switch. who's sole purpose is to tune a half step (3 position switch with 0 -1/2 -1). Make it a global setting which is independent of all other settings. 

But the idea of a pitch shifter, as already exists, is a bazillion times better than 'a half step down'. 

Well semitone is the proper term and more meaningful. If you use any tech music kit you will know that -12 is an octave down. It's really not that difficult.

How would you describe -5, as down tuned two and a half steps? Very clumsy and I'm not sure how you'd indicate that in a GUI.

I assume it's one of those things that's come from America, like I say crotchet not quarter note because I'm British.

Well semitone is the proper term and more meaningful. If you use any tech music kit you will know that -12 is an octave down. It's really not that difficult.

How would you describe -5, as down tuned two and a half steps? Very clumsy and I'm not sure how you'd indicate that in a GUI.

I assume it's one of those things that's come from America, like I say crotchet not quarter note because I'm British.

Well, yes, its a Western World thing. In fact, I think things like 'tuning down a half step' is primarily a guitar players thing. I can't say I ever heard a Flutist saying 'i need to tune down'. 

I deal with the electronic pianos a lot. Any of them can tune a 'half step'. Some can even change the tuning HZ. But the nicer ones can actually adjust tunings based on styles of music and time periods. So instead of having an equal temperament, you can have any number of different models. Meantones. Pure temperament. Pythagorean. Arabic.

I even seen a couple that let you detune individual notes.  

That's why American instruments cannot properly play certain pieces, we only have 12 notes in an octave (8 in a scale).

But, again, its an American Guitar Player's thing. We can't expect them to actually know music.  :rolleyes:  

But, again, its an American Guitar Player's thing. We can't expect them to actually know music.  :rolleyes:  

And Noah did say,

"Of course. And next, my Lord?"

"Next shall be the Piano Player. And he shall play as if he has twenty fingers, and he shall play Substitute upon Substitute, until no man may name the Chord, and he will not be helpful. Furthermore, he shall always be late. And he shall always be trying out New Gear, of which he has no knowledge."

http://www.overdrivehorns.com/origin.htm

:P

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but i have recently needed to detune for a new song in my band , so I started to mess around with the pitch glide on the HD500x, the first time I tried it the thing was rubbish , the tracking was awful , then I tried it again with a few different settings , gotta say its pretty damn good , the tracking is almost bang on and chords work really well, the song I am using it on is Queen , Find me somebody to love , the chords are all over the place and it sounds really good, the settings are , mix100% then detune to -1.0 for half a step ,