Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd** Vs Amplifi Fx100

magik570

Would you be kind enough to give me your input on something?

I have been playing guitar for past 20 years (blues genre mostly) in my home with Line 6 Spider 2 and POD FARM, POD XT on my PC (Sonar X3 environment). 

All of a sudden, my friend from 20 years back reached out to me to jam with his band. Now I feel the need of having Pedals like POD HD***. I also found out that Line 6 is coming up with Amplifi FX100... if you were in my shoes, would you go with POD HD** or Amplifi FX100?

Shahed
Atlanta, GA

The HD500X (the only current floor version of the POD) is definitely more suited to live playing than the Amplifi, imo. It's not that you couldn't use the FX100 playing live, the HD500X is going to be much more flexible and easier to edit on the fly.

Apples and oranges my friend. Two very different units. Amplifi is more of a bluetooth speaker that you can play guitar through, and will have you tied to an iOS device to edit things. The HD Pods are more geared towards the professional/semi-pro/seriously committed weekend warrior players. Generally a pretty steep learning curve with the HD stuff, but once you get the hang of it, it's an amazingly versatile platform...not so much with the Amplifi, IMHO...others might disagree.

If your decision is between those two pieces of gear, the HD500x is the way to go. Not only are the FX and the amp models the most current generation of Line6 modelling - the "HD" literally in this case means high definition - but the HD500x is also the central 'brains' of the 'Dream Rig' should you ever decide to add on.

By that I mean, the HD500x offers you the Line6Link feature - to connect with the DT series amps and/or the L2 / L3 series 'StageSource' speakers. I spent four years with my HD500 before I finally, recently added on a DT25. It performed admirably on it's own, but with the DT25 linked to it, I can get serious tone, fast. I more recently added a pair of L2t's and those speakers are pretty loud all to themselves. I've been primarily using them as monitors with the band, we're newbies to the M20d gear, so it's been dipping the toe in the water primarily; nowhere near stage ready in terms of songs and such, but it's nice to consider being able to have that type of versatility with my rig. L6Link the HD500 into the DT25, and into the two L2's and have a three speaker/amp full stereo rig!

The HD500x also supports the Variax input, and as such, should you find yourself adding on a Variax, you will have additional control options, both from the patches controlling settings on the Variax, and with the "James Tyler Variax" series, the knobs on the guitar being able to be assigned to control functions on the HD500x; think like, gain, volume, delay and reverb settings, etc.

Right after I bought my DT25, I went for the JTV59 when they were on sale a few months ago. My USA strat has been stuck in the case most of the time since!

Couple more less critical things, the HD500x also functions - quite well - as an ASIO soundcard for doing recording to a laptop or computer. In much the same way that the board is set up to "go direct" to a PA, it does the same to a recording console. And for what it's worth, the HD500x also has a looper onboard, which is pretty cool. The ins and outs for me are what make the HD500 a more substantial, stage worthy piece of gear. My HD500 is four+ years old, and I haven't had *any* problems with it. I previously owned the X3Live, and had to have Line6 replace the footswitches when they failed. As for the HD500x, it features the newer, upgraded footswitch design, and it has more DSP / processor power than my HD500.

The onboard FX are the "M" series effects blocks (M13)

Nothing against the AMPLiFi gear, it's a really cool idea. And if you already have the required iOs device, the idea is quite tempting. If those specific hardware related factors aren't the deciding element for you, then the only way to know, is to get to a store and play through both of them, in equivalent circumstances.

I strongly advise you to get to a store and test them both first.  They are very different beasts and neither one will integrate well with your Spider 2.  You may find you need to get a new amp that will work well with a modeling unit; perhaps an amp with a FX loop or a stereo power amp and cab or even a powered monitor.

Unless you REALLY want new gear, you may be OK just getting a floorboard for your Spider 2... Its still a pretty decent amp and if you have a lot of experience with it, I am sure you have already got a few go-to tones on there...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If your decision is between those two pieces of gear, the HD500x is the way to go. ...the FX and the amp models the most current generation of Line6 modelling - the "HD" literally in this case means high definition ...

The onboard FX (for fx100) are the "M" series effects blocks (M13)

I don't understand this.  There's no real meaning for "high definition" audio.  It's just a marketing term.  I can't find any specs anywhere that provide sampling rate or bit depth (the measures that might matter for audio quality) for either of these devices.  When I look at the M13 models for mods, reverbs, etc. they seem to be identical to the HD ones.  So, what is the difference?  Is it documented anywhere?  (BTW, there's no info on the line6 web site about what models are actually in the fx100.  I'm taking your word for it that it's the M13 set.)  If they really are different, why would Line6 come out with their cool new device, using an old set of models?

I have an HD500.  I love the sound, but I definitely don't love how big and heavy it is, and I don't love that it's really tough to make a tweak on-stage ("lets try a different distortion box on this solo, please") unless I've pre-programmed that parameter to a knob or button.  The fx100 should be a big improvement in both of those areas.  As for the other stuff - variax, usb audio interface, ... - I don't care much, at least in a live situation.  I haven't tried the fx100 yet, but I will!

I don't understand this.  There's no real meaning for "high definition" audio.  It's just a marketing term.  I can't find any specs anywhere that provide sampling rate or bit depth (the measures that might matter for audio quality) for either of these devices.  When I look at the M13 models for mods, reverbs, etc. they seem to be identical to the HD ones.  So, what is the difference?  Is it documented anywhere?  (BTW, there's no info on the line6 web site about what models are actually in the fx100.  I'm taking your word for it that it's the M13 set.)  If they really are different, why would Line6 come out with their cool new device, using an old set of models?

I have an HD500.  I love the sound, but I definitely don't love how big and heavy it is, and I don't love that it's really tough to make a tweak on-stage ("lets try a different distortion box on this solo, please") unless I've pre-programmed that parameter to a knob or button.  The fx100 should be a big improvement in both of those areas.  As for the other stuff - variax, usb audio interface, ... - I don't care much, at least in a live situation.  I haven't tried the fx100 yet, but I will!

We all know L6 are masters of the marketing spin but to be fair I'm pretty sure that in the HD500 blurb talked about it as having 100+ 'M class effects'  i.e. they are the same effects as the M9 and M13. My understanding is that the HD bit refers to the amp models, not the effects.

I'm with you on the sound of the HD though, and the fact that it's not the easiest unit to edit in a live situation. I think L6 designed Amplifi more as a home unit- maybe it's a precursor for a 'bigger brother' live version in the future? Now that would be something worth looking into...

Thanks for clarifying.  I had misunderstood.  The amps and effects listed for the ampliFi (http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/ampl/amplififulllistofampsandeffects) are indeed somewhat different than those on the HD500, though there's a lot of overlap, at least by name.  I guess at this point I just need to go mess with it a bit, and see if it's a better box for me.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Step into the 21 st century ancient guitarists. The processors and preamps on the Amplifi are quiet as a mouse and clean as the driven snow. The flexibility to create any sonic invention is at your fingertips. Anyone who seriously gig's knows you aren't going to get down on the floor to edit your HD 500. but with amplifi you can do it from your phone......how much easier is that.....robot....AI?

It's all in the digital domain ...and they use the same A/D converters in all their line.......

• Downvote 1

Step into the 21 st century ancient guitarists. The processors and preamps on the Amplifi are quiet as a mouse and clean as the driven snow. The flexibility to create any sonic invention is at your fingertips. Anyone who seriously gig's knows you aren't going to get down on the floor to edit your HD 500. but with amplifi you can do it from your phone......how much easier is that.....robot....AI?

It's all in the digital domain ...and they use the same A/D converters in all their line.......

"The processors and preamps on the Amplifi " are based on 20th century Technology (Pod XT released 2002, 12 years ago). POD HD models are based on 21st century technology (POD HD released 2010). The improvements in n the amp modeling in the HD series  is very evidence to any guitar player with any kind of hearing. Digital converters won't do anything to improve the over a decade old amp modeling found in Amplifi, POD XT, POD Farm. Line 6 are marketing geniuses the way they milk their century old technologies.

"slap on blue tooth and Iphone, I-robot,I-Crap support and many won't be able to tell the difference and they will sell like hot cakes" said the genius marketer, in line 6 product marketing meeting   :lol: 

• 1 month later...

Just to throw in here and resurrect an old thread....I picked up an AMPLIFi FX100 about a week ago to replace my Pod XT Live that I've been using for the past 5 years....I really thought the iOS pairing and ability to make adjustments from my device (I use my iPad during my set running Music Stand)...anyway....I've been testing at home pretty extensively for the past week.  It started out OK...I created some really sweet sounding patches.  I thought it was going to be a nice replacement.  Then the bottom fell out.  Bluetooth pairing started to jack up, patches started to fade in and out, just weird "gremlin" type stuff.  I can't trust it not to crap out in the middle of my set at church.  I have read and re-read every thread on the AMPLIFi page and there are issues.  I could prob work through them, but honestly, I don't think I could ever really trust it at this point. 

So....it's currently boxed up, and heading back to Guitar Center, where I will return and exchange for HD500.  AMPLIFi FX100 is not a performance rig.  Not yet anyway.  Maybe someday.  Oh well.....one guys experience...

Cheers..

• Upvote 1

..and PODHD500+JTV is the B-E-S-T !

For some folks. I wasn't happy at all with JTV after using it for a week or so. Still sounded phony and honky to me. But I'm a heavier-handed player so the piezos honked on me a lot even when I "lightened up" my pick attack. I don't play heavy music, but I do dig into my strings when I play.

I gig "seriously" and edit my HD500(x) on the floor all the time. I'm picky about my tone since it's not buried in distortion and I want the mix to sound it's best out front. Amplifi is a toy for bedroom/casual players to compete with Fender's Mustang line, including the mustang floor. Jack up the price a little by adding the Bluetooth connectivity and full range "stereo" speaker setup and let the cash roll in. I'd buy the 150 for playing music through, but that's about it.

• 5 months later...

Same to you in about to buy a multi effect, I talk to people, go shop by shop, it seem line to be best option, but for something messy like heavy music some one experienced told me of another brand which I don't wanna talk on line forum about...

But to help you find what's in it. Let tell you I found fx way cheaper, it, itself says I have less feature

But it came with some feature I'm not sure if it exist on pod hd, what I did. Was to take android version of software, so as a friend said it don't tie you with iOS. And take look around it, it is single line unlike what pod software shows in images, I mean it's more like a mono device which sound goes in go through same cycle event of it is stereo, while pod shows and talk about configuration different sound and effect for your left and right, or if you wish join them, due that you can also have two amp, as I check fx has lot of cabinet sampling, you can set many parameters per effect depends on effect model and type, there are effect that can link together by parameters not just input output, and the feature that I just told at begin which I'm not sure if exists in pod model, is that you can play a track in your phone, and it find matches to the music toward what all other people configured, so you have access to all kinda preset effect in one device if you are not going to craft your own sound...

I don't know if pod had this, but surely it's pro, it's tested and made it to top... And etc...