Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Hd 500x, System Says Podhd500x Hardware Drivers Installed, But Monkey Says (not Connected)

socioteq

Hi guys,

So I've gone through the forums and googled til my fingers bled, but have found no one with a similar issue.  I just got a HD500X in from MusiciansFriend, and the device works great... when it's not connected to my computer.  However, I am wanting to set up HD500X Edit to make changes since this will obviously make my life easier.  Here's the problem:

I waited to plug in my usb cable until the exact times that the application instructed.  I installed the newest driver 4.2.7.1 - and this seems to be where the problem is.  So I get to the end of the install where it says to plug in the USB cable, but I get no device driver install popups, yet Windows makes its device recognition sound.

I'm thinking..okay, maybe it's installed.  I go back in to Monkey and my device shows up as (Not Connected) even though it is.  So I run the install again, and again, and again, and again.   Same problem.  In Windows Device Manager, the device is there and Windows says that it is working properly.  I dig some more and the Driver File Details list this as the driver file:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys

Provided by Microsoft

File version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Is that right?  Is Windows assigning an incorrect driver to the device even though I'm telling it to install the Line 6 driver?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm totally lost on this one.

Did you try Line6 Edit?  Did you try to make it the windows output device and see if you can play music through it?  It should do those things if the driver is installed and your PC is seeing the device.

I tried Edit but had the same result.  It says:

Could not detect a POD HD500X connected to your computer.

POD HD500X will run in offline mode.

This might sound odd, but make sure your POD is connected to a dedicated USB port on the back of your computer. Don't use any sort of hub (including front ports, which are often considered hubs).

I don't have any hubs on my system with the exception of the keyboard and mouse combo which plug in to the same port for dedicated USB.  I read somewhere that someone had virtual USBs enabled and once he disabled them he had success.  I don't however have any virtual USB ports in device manager.  I don't know if this will help, but when device manager is recognizing my HD500X, I get 3 fast beeps instead of the 2 beeps I'm used to when a device is successfully discovered and installed.

There were a number of 500x's that came shipped with USB hiccups.  Guitar Center reported some and so did the support forums.  I also had one that of course,worked great....but nothing but "not connected" issues...and weird USB issues where one thing would work and one wouldn't.  Or it would say connected...but firmware updates would error out.  I exchanged it and all was good with the replacement.  I'd say if you're within the exchange period...don't put too many hours into it unnecessarily and exchange it.  Save yourself the headache.  It either works or it doesn't.  

• Upvote 1

There were a number of 500x's that came shipped with USB hiccups.  Guitar Center reported some and so did the support forums.  I also had one that of course,worked great....but nothing but "not connected" issues...and weird USB issues where one thing would work and one wouldn't.  Or it would say connected...but firmware updates would error out.  I exchanged it and all was good with the replacement.  I'd say if you're within the exchange period...don't put too many hours into it unnecessarily and exchange it.  Save yourself the headache.  It either works or it doesn't.  

I'm glad at least someone else had this issue.  I haven't been able to find any other complaints about this issue and figured that I was an isolated incident.  I spoke with MusiciansFriend and they are overnighting me a 2nd unit (even before I send the other one back which made me a very happy customer!)... Anyway, I will report back with the results from the second unit and we can have definitive proof that it was either the computer or the HD500X itself having the issue.

I had a fluke during a dual boot install of Ubuntu that cleared the master boot record and had to reinstall windows from scratch.  Low and behold, that was the problem all along, because now I'm able to use the Line 6 software just fine.

The lesson here - ... not really sure.  If there were software to tell the customer where the problem was it might be easier to pinpoint the issue.  I say this because I'm in no way computer illiterate, but had a very difficult time trying to find out if the problem was with the hardware of the HD500X or if it lied with my computer/software.

Anyway, thanks all for the help.  I'll be getting the second HD500X and just sending it back now.