Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic Input Anyone?

PANT666666

I reviewed the POD HD 500X manuals and find very little about the MIC input.  Specifically - how one would use it.

Does anyone use this connection?  And if yes - what are some tips to using it.   I tried my connection yesterday and found it to be easy to get feedback and the signal output kinda sucked.   I switched cables but never found the happy place.

For now I am just looking to get the basic singer/songwriter configuration.   I am finding myself plugging into a separate mixer amp than the dream rig to get a good mix.

Is this necessary?

Help!

I've used the mic input and had no problems with it. Check out http://line6.com/support/topic/848-gain-line-up-measurements/?hl=pfsmith0&do=findComment&comment=4669. Compared to the Guitar In 1/4" input (set to Normal), you can adjust the Mic gain to be between -6 dB and +38 dB by using that little pot on the back of the unit. Be sure to set it right to trade-off SNR and headroom.

I've got the signal chain set up to be two separate paths all the way back to the inputs. One Input is set to guitar and the other to Mic In. They come together at the Mixer but I pan one all the way left and the other all the way right. That way you get two independent, separate outputs that can feed the PA with two channels.

I am doing the same thing splitting to dual signals with mic in channel b and guitar in channel a. The gain knob is kinda touchy and my mic is less than superior. Some suggest the vintage pre for vocals but it sounds muddy to me. The harmonizers sound cool. Im researching to find out how to have stereo effects for guitar and not for vocals but using dual paths. There isnt very much information about using a mic so hopefully others will come out and share. 

I have been testing the POD HD PRO X with Pro Tools 10, and found out that to allow the MIC signal to come in transparent you need to disable any gear inside of the chain, plus, you need to set up your INPUTS with different sources, in my case ---> INPUT 1 GUITAR and INPUT 2 MIC.

• 1 month later...

I discovered what I was doing wrong months later... With just the amp selected (and a Volume and Wah assigned to EXP 1 and 2) - I tried the Mic (setup as Input 2) - not so good (volume too low).   Then I went to the amp model controls and increased the gain - all was OK.   The amp gain has a major effect on what the mic will pickup (in conjunction with the mic volume level on the back of the POD HD 500X)